Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • STWs most hated helmet, is back……..
  • khani
    Free Member

I expect nothing less..

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Pleasing to my eye,…i’d like to se it without the chin attached.

…I’d need bike to match its gnarrness though! 🙁

cr500dom
    Free Member

I never managed to break mine, despite managing to crash in a way that would have definitely marked my face a few times….

Also really good if you ride in the woods

I really miss my old one everytime I get twatted in the face with a branch when following mates

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

i’d like to se it without the chin attached.

The blurb implied it’s all one piece now. I never really saw the point of the removable chin guard, maybe I crash and replace my helmets more than average, but justifying 2+ helmets is easy enough. The only ones that last 3+ years are road ones, everything else is crash damaged before then. So there’s never really the expense of owning two as they still need replacing at the same rate and you get the right helemet (propper FF or XC lid) for each ride, rather some halfway house. If the chin guards nice and rigid I’d be very interested as my head wont fit in an Urge helmet.

chiefgrooveguru

We say blokes in DH full faces on Winstone Lee Tor on Sunday. We laughed but if their job/mortgage requires mobility etc then who cares?

I rode home from a mini-DH race along the south downs wearing a full-face last month. I have no idea what people were thinking as I went by (on a hardtail as well) but it was quite cold, I wasn’t in a hurry, and it was rather pleasant in there, cosy but not too hot!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So there’s never really the expense of owning two as they still need replacing at the same rate and you get the right helemet (propper FF or XC lid) for each ride, rather some halfway house.

Whats wrong with the halfway house? Hauling up a massive mountain and wanting a bit more on the way down, not a full on DH FF but a bit more than a XC lid. Having gone down face first with an old parachute I liked it.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Looks pretty good but I dont like the lack of cheek padding.

K

I would like to try one on, looks like a good improvement on the old one to me.

supercarp

I like it i have been looking for a light vented full face lid to protect my face and teeth, getting old and can’t afford time off work and trails are getting faster and bikes better i seem to need the extra protection, i have never understood the anti full face for trail riding. I ride motorbikes and wouldn’t dream of riding without a decent full face helmet.

the Old parachute seemed a little fragile looking and didn’t offer much rear coverage, the urge one looked ok but looked like it would cook my head on all day rides but the new on looks spot on

chickenman

This all makes me feel like retrieving my MET chinguard from the shed and bolting it back on! Will still look like a plonker in it though..

legend
    Free Member

Whats wrong with the halfway house? Hauling up a massive mountain

Normal full face strapped to a camelbak ftw in that situation

mikewsmith
    Free Member

generally I prefer to wear a lid while riding though, it’s/was a compromise lid.

chiefgrooveguru

It does look like it could replace a traditional FF for less extreme scenarios. My pack has a handy harness thingy for strapping your FF to on the way up and your trail lid within on the way back down.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Whats wrong with the halfway house? Hauling up a massive mountain and wanting a bit more on the way down, not a full on DH FF but a bit more than a XC lid. Having gone down face first with an old parachute I liked it.

Nothing, that was my point, why make it fragile and removable on the old version? I’d quite like a more solid one (like the new one), but didn’t see the point of having a sort of 2in1 helmet, when it could just be better (like the new one).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I never saw it as fragile – as said before I had a damm good go and smashing it and failed, removing it meant you had a normal trail lid and it wasn’t a special occasion lid. I ran it for a long while without the chin guard – as I couldn’t afford multiple lids and put it back on for rides/trips etc.

wobbem
    Free Member

beagle – Member

Will be more popular given the current enduro hype. Good timing Met.

This

hora
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru now then, if you saw someone in a fullfacer on the south downs…..you’d grin wouldn’t you! I hope you had your devils-horn finger salute out, said ‘word’! then warped-speeded out of there on your steed.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Bring back the Giro switchblade i say, ive used mine for donkeys years now and love it! I see all those none ff jobbies as “hats with a hard shell” that sit on the last third of your head like a bowler hat!
    My switchblade could do with some new thick pads as mine are getting a little worse for wear, so if anyone knows where i can get some? (even if its cut yer own shapes out jobbies) cos ive had no luck with google up to now.
    And i would deffo get one of them new parachutes when the price comes down a bit

andyl
    Free Member

I quite like the look of it.

I liked the idea of the old one and could see the benefit (but appreciate the limits of it) but it looked a bit silly.

The new one looks much more purposeful like a full face that has been made lighter and with more vents.

The price is just a bit silly though. You can pick up a full face for a lot less and I don’t see why this has to cost so much more. They are just injection moulded plastic at the end of the day and intended to be disposable.

_tom_
    Free Member

Looks much better to me but I don’t really see the point in the parachute. Would rather just strap my full face to my backpack if I’m doing a long climb, or just hang it off the bars for a shorter one. Taking 2 helmets is unnecessary, falling off up hill is pretty difficult and low speed anyway!

kimbers

for the enduro racers (who crash a lot-like me)it makes a lot of sense, carrying a ff on your backpack round a 30k route is a ballache

funkrodent

Lost one of my front teeth face planting when I mistimed a drop. The helmet works out cheaper than £250 for a denture on the NHS and considerably cheaper than £2kish for an implant. I’ve got a FF, but it’s hot and heavy at this time of year for normal riding. If this helmet is considerably lighter and cooler then it is worth serious consideration.

Alternatively a gumshield is surely an option. Loads of skaters wear them, any reason why they don’t seem that popular amongst the biking fraternity?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Again riding up is annoying any road section is sweaty. Just saying there is a place for the lightweight full face lid, not for you but for a lot of others. I wonder if there are a go for the enduro’s that require FF’s

hora
    Free Member

Ive faceplanted alot. I think when theres offers on this new one I will be buying.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

I think it looks wicked!

Interested to see it minus the chin guard……

This one looks interesting! 🙂

PARABELLUM HES

NormalMan

I like it. As someone that had a fair amount of dental rebuild stuff in the past I think this is ideal for me.

nosedive
    Free Member

i cant be doing with taking helmets on and off between stages at races. once its on it stays put. either a proper full face or a met parachute depending on how much the terrain scares me…. so a beefier parachute would be perfect.

kimbers- yes mate. thats me

thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

I’m quite interested in this, but cant find any detail online, any help?

andyl
    Free Member

http://asp-it.secure-zone.net/v2/index.jsp?id=168%2F236%2F1610&startPage=28

+ the next page.

Now I have seen it on someone I am not so keen! Still prefer the Bell Super Helmet which I love the name of too.

thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

can’t seem to get the link to open, thanks tho andyl! Out of curiosity what’s now put you off it specifically?

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘STWs most hated helmet, is back……..’ is closed to new replies.