Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • stws "go to" wheel jig
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

After decades of building wheels mostly at work but in frames/forks at home, I decided I’ve earned myself a jig.

ISTR Minoura is recommended? I feel Park is overpriced.

Welcome any views. Something that doesn’t need bolted down ideal – it’ll be on the kitchen table!

wwaswas

The on-one ones are quite good. I use the one with the dial gauges. You do need the park adapters for through axles though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have a Minoura for home use and it’s been great. Need a new one for wheel/axle issues, I think. Being honest, I haven’t used it for a year or two! (LBS look after my wheels very well!)

Park are lovely, especially so if they’re getting daily use and abuse, but probably overkill for home.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wrecker
    Free Member

I have a park, but wish I’d bought the unior one. Really nice kit.

andyl
    Free Member

I was going to buy a TS2.2 in chrome but they are expensive and I think I can build one better that can take wider tyres. That said I just used my frame again and set the wheel dished according to the frame as clearance was very tight with 35mm rims.

scotroutes

The Minoura FT-1 has been fine for me. I’ve not tried fat (wider than Boost) hubs with it but everything else works.

Mine came with a free dishing gauge that I rarely use.

onandon
    Free Member

I had a park ts2. Didn’t like it at all. Sold it so also looking to replace it with something different.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I got a tacx t3175. Its not bad given the price. It folds up nice and small which is good in a flat.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks. I am hoping I can be QR till I die.

Clamping to a table is good. I’m most used to working on the Ultimate ones that clamped to the top if their stands, ie working on nipples at the top of the rim, I guess I’ll have to readjust…

mickmcd
    Free Member

I suppose I’m spoiled in the whole wheel truing stand de tartment

scotroutes

No need to clamp it. It’s stable enough without.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Roger Musson special

stew1982
    Free Member

The Minoura was fine for the couple of sets i built a few years back – let’s be honest it’s a pretty simple piece of kit. Paying more gets something a bit sturdier and probably a little more modular……

_Ben_
    Free Member

I’m a sucker for buying tools I’ll probably use once. Whilst researching the dt swiss stand, the following caught my eye http://bicyclemanufacturing.co.uk/?page_id=103.

Very nice looking 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

CNC machined to exacting tolerances from 25mm High tensile aluminium wrought stock and designed to be the stiffest most accurate jig out there

That can **** right off.

JoeG
    Free Member

I can’t decide between this

and this. :mrgreen:

Edit – I have the Park TS 2.2 (bought from Craigslist for 1/2 of online price)

SandyThePig
    Free Member

I bought this kit from Rosebikes and it’s great.

bencooper
    Free Member

The DT and P&K are very nice, but they don’t do self centering like my TS-3:

Mike, are you stil making things?

mickmcd
    Free Member

Mike, are you stil making things?

yeah I went and did some stuff back in F1 but couldnt really be arsed anymore with it.

Ive been messing with wheelchairs and gearboxes and some other stuff

shermer75
    Free Member

I also have the Tacx one, it’s flimsy and therefore a bit annoying but it does work- I’ve made about a dozen wheels on it, they’ve all come out well. As above it folds away small and only costs £35. Definitely a step up from using the frame and pen method! 😉

CraigW
    Free Member

The On-One/Planet X Jobsworth Pro wheel stand is an impressively sturdy lump of metal. It has fancy dials, but I’m not sure how much they actually help.
    I’ve got one, but not had a go at building a wheel yet.
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJWPWTS/jobsworth-pro-wheel-truing-workshop-stand

somafunk

I have the jobsworth stand with DTI gauges as mentioned above, very sturdy stand and it’s helped build plenty of wheels but the DTI gauges are only of use when you get down to the very final tune/tweaking stage as they are too sensitive, and one of my gauges had a stick plunger shaft that was annoying – for through axles you need to use the park adapter kit for through axles.

schmiken

I never found a jig I really liked so built my own. Spot on.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Dials? Wow, more needless perfection!

The Minouras and Xtreme look good.

Need to check they do B+

cynic-al
    Free Member

bencooper – Member
    The DT and P&K are very nice, but they don’t do self centering like my TS-3:

…as does the £55 jobsworth, which looks the best value to me.

scotroutes

I’ve done B+ with my Minoura Al – front and rear

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jobsworth ordered.

I was thinking about working with a tyre on wheni asked about that, but realised this will be for builds rather than quick trues.

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Al, where is the jobsworth for £55? Comes up as £89 on their site.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member
    mintimperial

Another vote for the cheap Jobsworth, it’s not quite as polished as the fancier kit out there but it’s sturdy and pretty good value. Dunno if it’s wide enough for some of the bigger rear axle standards though, I seem to recall it’s pretty much at its limit with 142mm?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yup the cheaper one.

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Thanks guys, didn’t realise there were different models. Just ordered the cheaper one.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have one of those £55 jobsworth jobs. I had to take the angle grinder to it to make a 142mm hub fit with Park adaptors. It has proven fine otherwise.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Its arrived, not unboxed it yet, fookin heavy.

Also got a crapload of other guff super cheap

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s grand. Isn’t light and doesn’t fold but I suspect those that are would feel flimsy and annoying

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘stws "go to" wheel jig’ is closed to new replies.