Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • STWP – political manifesto – what would you put in it?
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I’d be wanting to scrap defence completely and become neutral. Spend the money saved on health and education.

You?

iDave
    Free Member

Pretty much this ^^

Have a swiss type military and govt system

druidh
    Free Member

Defence is fine. Scrap offence.

druidh
    Free Member

No VAT on bikes.
    Compulsory “storage” charge for cars parked on public land (e.g. the street)

IanMunro
    Free Member

All Sgian-dubhs to be scrapped.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The abolition of the monarchy and House of Lords to be replaced by an elected presidency and elected second chamber, the adoption of a written constitution and Bill of Rights.

samuri
    Free Member

I’d ban cats. Obviously people would still keep cats but I like the idea of criminalising them.

Massive fuel duties. Private vehicle usage should be phased out. Even the rich should be encouraged that it’s a bad thing. Big tax benefits for companies implementing proper green commuting and working processes.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

But the STW massive would want a minimal taxation regime in order for them to afford shiny bike bits…

mcboo
    Free Member

Pretty much this ^^

Have a swiss type military and govt system

Yes those noble Swiss were safe and happy in the mountains counting their bullion when the Jews were being burned in Auschwitz. Military adventurism? No. Pacifism? Be one if you want, I choose to fight.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

druidh – Member

No VAT on bikes.
    Compulsory “storage” charge for cars parked on public land (e.g. the street)

Like it

20 mph urban speed limits the norm, 40 away from residential and where decent bike provision can be made

Carbon taxation – polluter pays

positive and negative income tax – ie massive simplification of the tax and benefits system.

Stop all NHS privatisation

Reorganise defence into something sensible IE defense of these islands only with a contingent for UN peacekeeping

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I choose to fight.

and I’m sure when your lords and masters tell you to lay down your life for the protection of their intrests, you’ll be happy to do so.

mcboo
    Free Member

and I’m sure when your lords and masters tell you to lay down your life for the protection of their intrests, you’ll be happy to do so.

Yeh sure. I will get my mobilisation orders in the Daily Mail right?

AlexSimon

Defence is fine. Scrap offence.

I like the idea of this.
    But looking at all the countries economies and influential power, I can’t help but think that the only reason we punch above our weight is because we’ve got into bed with the US and UN by going to war.

Now, I’m as against this as anyone, but I just don’t think you could say there is a net cost saving by cutting military. I think we probably get a lot of business through these ‘alliances’.

Regarding health:
    I would put much more emphasis on prevention of disease through education on healthy lifestyles and mental health.
    For example, if I were to come up with a scheme such as ‘five-a-day’, I’d do a much better bloody job of it than allow tinned sugary long-life foods to claim ‘one of your five-a-day’.

Dobbo

Defence is fine. Scrap offence. +1

Scrap the monarchy.

Scrap all religion and teach evolution.

Make all MP’s independent to stop all the disagreeing for the sake of it coz they’re on the other side politics, make them work together for the good of the country not their ‘party’.

clubber
    Free Member

1 Ban big hitters (or exile them to a virtual island penal colony forum)
    2 Simplify tax laws massively
    3 Enforce helmet wearing for cycists (not really, just playing on point 1)
    4 Ban stupid demonisation of people for being left/rightwing, managers/workers, rich/poor, whatever as all it does is allows people to dehumanise their ‘opposites’
    5 VAT free bikes and bike components
    6 Ban all current politicians from being politicians ever again

lunge

Simplify income tax – One flat rate, everyone pays the same percentage, the rich pay more as they earn more.

Higher minimum wage.

Lower business taxes.

Driving restest every 5 years.

Ban faith based schools, be they RC, Church of England, Muslim or anything else.

Give Scotland independence (if they want it).

That should do for a starter.

Edit, and let no one be a politician without at least 10 years work experience away from politics.

AlexSimon

Ban all current politicians from being politicians ever again

Like it.
    Here’s an idea.
    Politicians to be selected in a similar manor to ‘Jury Duty’.

mcboo
    Free Member

I’m with lunge. Except on driving.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Don’t vote, it only encourages them.

wrecker
    Free Member

Defence is a pretty big part of our industry. What are we going to replace it with?

I will ban supermarkets. I hate them.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

clubber – Member
    1 Ban big hitters (or exile them to a virtual island penal colony forum)

*whispers* I’ve found a way to do this *whispers*

MrWoppit
    Free Member

This thread may turn out to be a fine example of it…

igm

Drivers to be required to cycle a minimum of 5 miles a week to maintain their drivers licence. Medical exemptions might apply in some exceptional cases.

jota180
    Free Member

Scrap all tax on 100+ octane petrol

Seal off all side roads and tracks on ‘interesting’ A & B roads and enforce a one-way system on weekends

Suspend all speed limits on ‘interesting’ A & B roads on weekends

loum
    Free Member

Eight year terms for elected MPs to allow them to actually plan long term for the best interests of the country, rather than “electioneering” for popularity every four years.(A secondary side effect may encourage the population to think that way too).

Voting age reduced to 16.

No politician to serve more than one term (of 8 years), to protect against corruption and entrenchement.

GrahamS

All mass public transport (buses, trains, trams, subway) to be state-owned, non-profit and completely free at point-of-use.

And +1 on the driving retests every five years.

binners

Right! That’s defense taken care of!

El-bent
    Free Member

The abolition of the monarchy and House of Lords to be replaced by an elected presidency and elected second chamber, the adoption of a written constitution and Bill of Rights.

This, and:

All candidates want to become MPS must have at least 10years real life work experience, none of this straight out of Uni and straight into working for political parties, lobbyists etc.

Ban all lobbying from Westminster. In fact ban all lobbying.

Pay MP’s a higher wage and then ban them from having “second jobs” or giving “advice” to whoever and wherever their interests are.

I’ve got loads more, but I haven’t got the time you lucky people.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member
    This thread may turn out to be a fine example of it…

… if they stop being engaged elsewhere.. 😉

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Drivers to be required to cycle a minimum of 5 miles a week to maintain their drivers licence. Medical exemptions might apply in some exceptional cases.

This is a quality idea. Oh and GrahamS, +1

TheBrick
    Free Member

Simplify the tax system. Introduce my CFR tax system.

Discourage out of town shopping centres and the like which encourage out poor urban planning sprawling everywhere which make alternatives to driving less practical.

Build more council houses, but have the rent varying between £0 and market rate depending on the occupants situation.

P.R voting system. Have regional governments with more local power. Look into ways of modifying the parish council system so it dose not end up with the same old stick in the muds.

Some sort of pay as you drive / road pricing system and abolish VED, there by taxing car use not ownership.

Retests for all drivers ever 10 years. Cycling to bike ability level 2 minimum as part of all driving tests. Level 3 for larger vehicles tests.

Bike ability upto level three to be taught in schools.

druidh
    Free Member

All cyclists to pass a compulsory test before being allowed on the roads. To be renewed every 5 years and should include driving a car, a bus and an HGV.

loum
    Free Member

Chinese language to be taught in all schools

loum
    Free Member

Driving and cycling tests to be administered in Mandarin Chinese.

druidh
    Free Member

Mandarins to be banned. Not worth easting with all that white pithy stuff.

clubber
    Free Member

Mandarin oranges at half time in the driving test

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Fine parents for dropping children off at school in a vehicle (unless there’s a good reason – I’m talking of people like my neighbour who drives her able bodied brats 2 streets away twice a day in her 4×4) and use the money made from fines on PE equipment and lessons in nutrition.

Set up a government backed package for young people wanting to start up businesses, with a step by step guide on how to do it. The current system is flawed and over complicated (Esp TAX)

joao3v16
    Free Member

Fine parents for dropping children off at school in a vehicle (unless there’s a good reason – I’m talking of people like my neighbour who drives her able bodied brats 2 streets away twice a day in her 4×4)

It would have been easier just to say “Fine idiots” …

gonefishin
    Free Member

Really? You want the same sort of system that they have in the US? Whilst the current system that we have is far from perfect I’m not convinced that a US type system is any better, and in many ways may be worse.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I would change the way unhealthy food is manufactured & packaged too, things like sweets would have no additional colourings and come in Tesco value style wrappers only. My nephew prefers sweets as they ‘look fun’ so I would put ‘fun looking’ packaging on healthy options.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘STWP – political manifesto – what would you put in it?’ is closed to new replies.