Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 223 total)
  • STW Zwift Spring Race Series
  • Premier Icon robbo1234biking

Hello all and welcome to the thread for the 4th STW Zwift Series – Spring Edition. The series will still be on a Tuesday evening.

As per the last series and in order to tie-in with both STW and Zwift and to promote the MTB aspect the entire series will be ridden on a MTB (apart from one race). If you don’t have a personal MTB then it will default you to the Zwift MTB – the good news is there isn’t much to choose between them so it will equalize the playing field!

There will be 3 races within the race as previously with an extra special optional 4th race that you can choose to join in with.

The main handicap race

As per previous events a handicap will be applied to your finish time based on your weight and FTP and the entire group is sorted by race time plus handicap and points distributed accordingly. This is based on the best of 5 races points from the 6 races (all sprint points count towards this total).

The sprint jersey

Sprint points are awarded for the Top 5 finishers on a sprint section (10,6,4,2,1 points) or the fastest lap time on circuit race. The points are awarded on each sprint section on a race but only for the fastest time across that section during the whole race (i.e you may get a couple of chances to get a good time).

The GC race

This is based on the shortest time to complete all 6 stages and is sorted by traditional Zwift cat. The zwift cat is determined on the weight and FTP that you supply me so may not match your ZP cat as that takes historical data into account.

As per the last series there is an optional 4th race event. There are no points awarded for this event but the winner gets bragging rights! Throughout the whole event you can complete the Repack Ridge section on Zwift. This is the steering section. There are details here on how to find it – https://zwiftinsider.com/find-zwifts-new-mountain-bike-steering-course/. So between the 23rd February and the 30th March have a go at this course and see if you can get the fastest time. I will keep a record of the times – just grab a screenshot at the end, let me know you time and how many stars you achieved for the steering element. For every star missed 10 seconds will be added to your time (the maximum score is 10) so precision as well as speed is rewarded. As not everyone has steering there are no points awarded for this but should be fun to see how everyone gets on with the top 3 declared on the 9th Feb!

So onto the courses and dates for this Race Series…

23rd February 19:30 – Innsbruckring (3 laps)
    3 laps of the Innsbruckring – so three chances to get a good sprint time but also 3 times over the leg snapper!
    https://zwiftinsider.com/route/innsbruckring/

2nd March 19:30 – Tempis Fugit TT
    A TT on the flat. This will be done on the TT bikes so will be a good opportunity to see how fast you can really go! You also get the timed last 400mm or so for sprint points
    https://zwiftinsider.com/tempus-fugit/

9th March 19:30 – Greater London 8
    A visit back to London but up the smaller hill this time and without a summit finish so the big guys have a chance to get back on after the whippets have got away.
    https://zwiftinsider.com/route/greater-london-8/

16th March 19:30 – Fat Tyre Crit Double Header
    Yes thats right – this time we are doing two crits…on the same night! The distance is reduced though
    19:30 – Downton Dolphin – 4 laps – Sprint and fastest lap points available
    20:00 – Laguardia Loop – 4 laps – Sprint and fastest lap points available
    You will get two links for this one, the join event button will likely pop up for the second event once the first event starts. Once you have finished the first crit press the button and head to the pen for the second event. If you miss the button dont worry – you should be able to log out and log back in again.
    https://zwiftinsider.com/route/downtown-dolphin/
    https://zwiftinsider.com/route/laguardia-loop/

23rd March 19:30 – Serpentine 8
    A chance to hit the new course in the jungle. This is a good fun course and the bikes will roll on the jungle gravel!
    https://zwiftinsider.com/route/serpentine-8/

30th March 19:30 – Out and (not quite) back again
    This suggestion was cuortesy of Savoyad so if you dont like it blame him. This will race through the dessert and head towards the volcano with a summit finish atop the volcano. An opportunity to bag the sprint points awaits as well.
    https://zwiftinsider.com/route/out-and-back-again/

How do I sign up?
    Either post on here letting me know your FTP and weight or send me a PM. Once you register I will send you the links over for the races which will open up in the Zwift Companion app and allow you to join!

If you cant make all the races – don’t worry. Join in where you can as the more people join in the better the event.

I look forward to seeing you all (virtually) on the start line!

Premier Icon dangeourbrain

See you there!

Premier Icon drew

Great itinerary Robbo, looking forward to it.

Premier Icon stumpy01

I’m in Rob. FTP and weight update if I try a ramp test on Sun…

@robbo1234biking – Just so you’re aware…the date in the info appears wrong for Repack Ridge. It says between 5th Jan and 9th Feb. I guess someone at STW towers can update it?

Premier Icon nixie

Looks great, yes please to an entry.

Premier Icon robbo1234biking

Cheers Stumpy – I have reported myself! That’s what I get for copying and pasting!

Premier Icon weeksy

Nice job Robbo… look forward to seeing the insanity 🙂

Premier Icon v7fmp
    Free Member

yes please!

Choices look great.

The double Crit, will this be a cumulative total of both events to give one final finishing time?

Premier Icon robbo1234biking

Separate points awarded for both Crits so 7 races in this one (thats a good point actually – it will be the best of 6 from 7 races for the handicap).

Premier Icon jimdubleyou

In (obvs) 🙂

Premier Icon msjhes2
    Free Member

Yes please

Premier Icon welshfarmer

Sign me up. @Mark Morgan STW (c) on Zwift. Need to update my FTP and weight as it has changed since I last was regularly on the turbo (though I am slowly rising it back up again). I start lambing around the 28th March so touch and go if I get called out for an awkward presentation on the last race 🙂

Premier Icon Jonno

Sign me up again please, I am up for some more pain!

Premier Icon kirky72
    Free Member

Some good routes and bloody brutal ones, serpentine is actually full of climbing and break points, I predict that will be one of the tougher races.

Anybody else already thinking just turn up for the second crit when everybody’s cooked from the first.

Premier Icon zilog6128

Anybody else already thinking just turn up for the second crit when everybody’s cooked from the first.

it’s gonna be like when I go MTBing with mates who are much fitter. They finish the climb quickly and have a nice rest but as soon as I get to the top it’s time to set off again 😭

I’m thinking I might actually last the whole of the first one!

I start lambing around the 28th March

Bleating already eh? To be honest that would be one of the better excuses we’ve had so far. Much better than my multiple variations on “I can’t be bothered” or “I’m a big girls blouse”

Premier Icon nixie

I tried a double race after the TT in this series. It was interesting to say the least!

Premier Icon oopnorth

Definitely in! Hoping I can make all the races this time and work doesn’t get in the way. Good courses this series and that innsbruck opener will be interesting with the leg snapper.

Premier Icon funkybaj
    Free Member

Sign me up for some more Tuesday evening pain!

Premier Icon slowpuncheur
    Free Member

I’ve mailed you Rob.

I think it’s right you stick with the Repack Ridge challenge but it’s a stand-alone thing from the races. I enjoyed it but it wasn’t taken up by many people (a total of 9!). I’d urge you all to have a blast. You don’t need a sterzo or anything. I did my best time with some cardboard under the front wheel.

It’s a bit of a cheeky suggestion but perhaps STW towers could offer up some sort of modest prize for Repack Ridge to get better engagement – @chipps?. After all, I suspect Zwift are testing the waters with us and others to see how much of an appetite there is for more MTB routes – so anything that grows the zwift MTB community has to be a good thing, right?

Premier Icon andeh

YEEEEEEAAS! I’m in Robbo 🙂

I’ll do an FTP test closer to the 1st race.

Premier Icon karnali
    Free Member

sing me up please, no change to weight or FTP from last time

Premier Icon savoyad

I’m in.

Great series design @robbo1234biking, there’s something for everyone in there at some point. (re the volcano: you actually promised me credit, not blame! I admit that I’m proud of that course name though).

I am not excited about that TT but my initial goal (which I have set and missed before, repeatedly!) is to finish all the races, so I’ll live with it..

Premier Icon IvanDobski

In.

I did the repack ridge thing but didn’t submit the results because they weren’t going to trouble the podium so take-up was probably better than it looked.

That said, I didn’t enjoy the course, I was expecting it to be predominantly downhill but it’s got that uphill drag on the second half. If it was a trail centre with that elevation profile it’d get slated!

Premier Icon zilog6128

yeah the trouble with RR is that it’s quite fun if you’re not really taking it seriously, but if you’re trying to get the best time it’s just frustrating as the steering implementation is pretty wooly! (that said not got a Sterzo which may be a lot better)
    Although I will try to give it a go this time. If you want to improve the uptake, just make it mandatory otherwise no-one is eligible for points or any other categories 🤣

If it was a trail centre with that elevation profile it’d get slated!

almost like it was an MTB course designed by roadies 🤔

almost like it was an MTB course designed by roadies

Or degla.

Premier Icon slowpuncheur
    Free Member

It’s fair to say I enjoyed the first half of RR more than the back half!

I like the look of Out and Back Again and the London route this time. Those and the Innsbruckring will really split the field up.

Premier Icon lewisdeacon

I am in as well – will provide weight and ftp update next week

Premier Icon 1timmy1

Sign me up too please. Will do a ramp test before the series and send across the info.

Premier Icon benman
    Free Member

Sign me up, same weight and FTP. I might not finish the series if the weather picks up and group riding becomes possible again…

Premier Icon paulsticks
    Free Member

Sign me up please Paul Smith MTB (email: djpaulsticks@googlemail.com) weight and power as on Zwift.

Not sure how many I can do due to shifts but it will good to get at least a couple in.

Cheers

Premier Icon n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Sign me up again please.

Premier Icon drew

I forgot to say yes please to signing up. Same FTP and weight as last time.

Premier Icon dazh

I’m in.

Premier Icon zilog6128

yeah didn’t say but I am in too! Will do a weigh & new FTP test but don’t think anything’s changed.

Premier Icon itsonlymelee
    Free Member

Woohoo, count me in for more fun/pain.

FTP up to 245 after the last race, weight the same. Will keep you posted should anything change.

Premier Icon dknwhy

I’m in. Dan K (STW) on Zwift. Currently 77.1kg, 255W FTP.

Thanks for organising Robbo.

Premier Icon euain

Can’t wait. No changes in power or weight for me..

Premier Icon reluctantjumper

In, same figures as the last series.

Premier Icon mahowlett
    Free Member

I’m in too please…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 223 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.