Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 436 total)
  • STW Zwift Racing League – Xmas 2021
  • retrorick

handicaps aren’t helping me out – seem to be consistently finishing with people who have a minute on me.

I’m not sure how the handicaps are calculated. Before the races started I almost knew that I would feature highly in the adjusted results.

scaredypants

(Intervals.icu gave me a little raise – seems they have a different/additional algorithm that works in shorter efforts. Presumably even less accurate than a 20min one without proper effort before it)

giggsmaster
    Free Member

Love the double racing, I always seem to do better in the 2nd.

@reluctantjumper
    it did seem a tad lonely when you lost the wheel on that lap. I was thinking, do I slow just a touch so I get some help for the next few laps. Then I thought, hell no, I need to put some time in to you…… 😂

Held on to the wheels of the pack in the 2nd race, feeling good, only to be dropped 60secs later!

At least I got a FTP increase from all that effort.

@robbo1234biking
    sorry to be a pain again, FTP increase this time, 180—->183 now.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    J-R

In both races I benefited from the absence of big climbs to hold onto the front group for a long time until a couple of the fast guys pulled a bit ahead. In the first race I had a lucky power up that let me gain a second on the rest of the group in the sprint for a totally unexpected 4th place. In the second race I nothing left for the sprint and just finished as one of the group in 6th.

Surprisingly I quite liked the double header format, nice choice of courses Robbo.

msjhes2
    Free Member

Well following scaredypants post I just went down the rabbit hole of intervals.icu. Not sure I understand any of it but it tells me my eFTP has gone up to 233 for the next race.

jamesoz

Yay, 5 points, well worth an average of 305w. I’m quite chuffed
    All I need to do is drop 25kg and I’ll be like a rocket.

robbo1234biking

First race I lost the front group the 3rd we crested the hill. A well timed power up from slowpuncheur as we went over the top caught me out and before I knew it the gap had opened up. I ended up losing 45 seconds plus to the group in front if me in one lap so things went of quick from there.

2nd race I was able to stay with the front group until the sprint. I didnt contest the sprint as I knew the mini-hill was coming up after the sprint which would be a weak point and i was still in a group vying for 3rd place overall. I decided to go long range and the plan nearly worked…except it didnt and I got passed on the line by pretty much everyone! Maybe 50m later next time!

I got a all time 10 min power best though so couldnt have put much more in (by 10w!)

Next week is Yumezi for two laps of the two village loop. Its fairly flat but with a gentle rise and there are two lots of sprint points available.

snotrag

Goid fun that, I also enjoyed the format of two shorter races very much @J-R

First race I managed to stay in the C and D blob for about the first half which worked really well, and in the second race another tail end group formed and worked really well for a while, slowly thinned until me and ‘z.ilog’ cruised right into the village for a sprint where I was soundly beaten, chapeau.

Hovering in the bottom third still but feeling at least like I’m in them mix with others so a good result!

bobee74
    Free Member

After an almost solo effort last week, I was determined to stay with a group in race 1. Just about managed it with a lot of effort and got a good power up for the finish sprint. Legs were jelly afterwards! Race 2 managed to stay in a blob until my chain came off so rolled in on my on.
    Ftp up to 231w. Some workout!

robbo1234biking

It’s Sunday evening, the Strictly results show is on…seems the perfect time to sort the handicaps for this week so here you go!

Yumezi this week with the Two Village Loop

https://zwiftinsider.com/route/two-village-loop/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oxAKc92qCMD5s-Odc4kCjngmxE15jED9erVq0PKq5CY/edit#gid=1421604983

retrorick

Cheers Robbo. Thanks for the course link.
    Low rpm approach for me this week 👍

Paul-S
    Free Member

Did a recce today, now all that’s left is to decide on which bike is best for the course.

P.

djflexure

Have to work so will miss it. My handicap is increasing so hopefully back with a bang next week.

paino

Working tomorrow and full of a cold. Tried a session today and felt worse. Very slim chance I’ll be taking part.

euain

Hi everyone – decided to set up the turbo and get signed up again. No matter how hard I pedal it shows speed 0km/h, power 0W. (It felt like that occasionally last year trying to hold onto the group).

It seems there’s a well know Kickr Core issue where static electricity fuses something critical. Nightmare – it’s beer and TV on Tuesday then. (Or hopefully a real-world ride).

Hopefully join you all again soon.

v7fmp

how many laps of the course this week?

robbo1234biking

Its 2 laps this week.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

2 laps. Plenty of dirt to make it nice and hard as well 😮

v7fmp

lovely jubbly!

jimdubleyou

2 laps. Plenty of dirt to make it nice and hard as well

Does this go up that nasty climb from last series?

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

No. But it isn’t flat.

yanboss

So full of cold, unlikely to make it and if I do it will be sightseeing at the back

J-R

Covid booster for me this evening so it will be interesting to see if that affects FTP tomorrow, or worse.

Straightliner

After ~4 weeks of this cold that’s doing the rounds, I’m finally feeling somewhat better. However November’s been a very poor month so far in terms of exercise, so definitely won’t be back to normal yet. For those coming down with colds, I hope they pass quickly.

I did a very gentle pre-ride of the course yesterday evening and can see there being several places where the groups will blow apart. Could be a challenging two laps this evening!

robbo1234biking

Yeh there are some gravel sections interspersed on the course as well as some small gradients – I have done a 1 lap sprint race of this course but not 2 laps.

Should be a good race I hope.

Dont forget to look out for riders who you think deserve ‘Rider’s Rider of the Series’. I need to start the voting after next weeks race and I am looking for 3 or 4 racers who have really set the race apart so any nominations shout up on here or send me a message!

jamesoz

I’m out for this series, picked up a bit of an injury . Might see if I can watch on my phone, if I’m not too full of drugs . You guys suffering might cheer me up.

bobee74
    Free Member

Like a lot of others I’m full of the cold and had no sleep for two nights with a sick 3 year old.
    Back on track next week 🤞

savoyad

While you are all excited about race day…

Please consider joining (or re-joining) the STW Zwift Team Time Trial. It’s a fun opportunity to ride – more cooperatively – with a lot of the same riders who race this series.

Everyone is welcome. The event rules require mixed-category teams, and our philosophy is usually to get everyone to the finish together.

We ride Thursday evenings, 7.40pm. We’d like to work up to two teams, like last winter, one faster than the other, so there really should be a suitable spot for everyone.

More info, and people who tend to answer questions very quickly, here: https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/zwift-team-time-trial-thursday-evenings/page/7/

scaled
    Free Member

I was all excited about being back racing tonight as the new family toy has arrived…

Then remembered that i’m giving blood at 2:30 this afternoon so racing is probably a terrible idea 🙁

The Neobike is awesome though 😀

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Don’t join the TTT if I were you. It’s made me faster and better at drafting over the last few race series. More Cat B riders getting better at racing is a bad idea 😉

reluctantjumper

Don’t know if I’ll make it home in time for tonight. Got a busy day and doubt I’ll finish before 6 which doesn’t really leave enough time to get home and set up ready for the start. Will try to make it but can’t guarantee it. Having a truck with a really heavy clutch pedal isn’t helping matters!

J-R

Then remembered that i’m giving blood at 2:30 this afternoon so racing is probably a terrible idea

@scaled how long does blood donation affect your Power output?

I find after recovering from the initial loss of blood volume within a day, my FTP is still down for several weeks – I guess it is a form of reverse EPO.

scaled
    Free Member

@J-R no idea mate, I’m going to take it easy for a couple of days then see how I get on. Last time I donated I managed to cycle home from Stockport to Sale easy enough but was ready for a kip when I got home 😀

jimdubleyou

So… IT issues appear to be solved after a quick Zwift patch (at leat my Mac could get into Zwift today)

planning to be on the start line, not sure I’m race-ready 🙂

benman
    Free Member

I won’t be on the start line tonight, feeling rotten with a cold. Hopefully well enough for club ride tomorrow, or Zwift TTT on Thurs

reluctantjumper

Definitely won’t be back in time tonight, annoyed as I really like the workout.

That means someone else will have to battle for the honour of being last over the line 🤣

retrorick

All the talk of dusty trails has made me choose my MTB for tonight’s race!
    I’ll still be wearing Lycra so I won’t be completely unaerodynamic. 🤔

giggsmaster
    Free Member

Thanks @reluctantjumper, it will be lonely at the back…… 🥵

reluctantjumper

Sorry… Walked in the door at 19.40, no chance of making it on the start line!

retrorick

FTP increase for me. From 244w 🤔 which I didn’t know about to 247w.
    My handicaps need retrospectively recalculating for the previous race and this one. Make it so! if it’s possible Robbo?

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 436 total)

The topic ‘STW Zwift Racing League – Xmas 2021’ is closed to new replies.