• This topic has 536 replies, 70 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by bails.
Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 537 total)
  • STW Zwift Racing League – Autumn – 2021
  • kirky72
    Free Member

Thanks Robbo for sorting again.

Wasn’t sure I would make this one last night as I went from fine to feeling like I’d been run over within a few hours and went to bed at 8pm with a banging head, sore throat fearing the worst.

Felt better today as the day wore on so thought I’d give it a try and see how the warm up felt. The start didn’t feel quite as crazy hectic as normal and felt like we could have a large group for at least a couple of laps which didn’t fair well for the handicap gaps.

So once I was confident I could manage some efforts I tried to force the pace and prodded for a break on every ramp and the first sprint. Therefore burning a few too many matches a bit too early and leaving me a bit short of power needed for later. Once Savo and Nixie put the hammer down at the end of the 4th lap I doubted I had enough to bridge the gap and though even if I managed it then I would most likely be dropped by the pair plus paino after the turn and gentle climb. Thought I would just make life easier and work with paino for the remainder.

Well done everybody. Thanks Robbo for sorting again and it also looks like your hard works been paying off. I noticed during the TT last Thursday and the way you worked towards the front for a while early on tonight and closed me down a couple of times that your power (or ability to put it down) seems to have ramped up a fair bit from the previous series.

Unfortunately I know for sure I’m going to miss race 3 and 6 due to 10pm finishes, I’ll also be lucky if make all of the remaining 3.

robbo1234biking

@nixie you are just over 4.0 w/kg which makes you an A 🙂 I dont look at ZP data as it gets too complicated sp just do a w/kg calc and apply that as the cat. Put 1 kg on though and you would be in the Bs!

@gingerflash
    I have never gone straight to the world, always having to go via an intermediary world. That said your load time are pretty slow!

I had an OK race. Managed to stay with the fron group for as long as I could but lost touch on the small rise once. Dropped into a second group but there wasnt enough momentum to keep us away from the group behind, so settled in for a few laps. Each lap it went pretty deep on the little hilly section to maintai the connection with the group. I knew I didnt have a great sprint so I decided to try a long range attack but ran out of steam 300m from the end and you all came whizzing past!

Bologna next week!

nixie

😀 I prefer your maths robbo 👍.

v7fmp

Good to be back at it with you folks! It was just as i remember… manic, painful but ultimately good fun (type 2 obvs).

Really chuffed to finish 2nd after handicaps. We had a decent group throughout the race, from around 7th to 15th-ish (i think). Usual suspect, Robbo, southside johnny, scardypants etc, keeping each other honest!

Managed to must a small sprint at the end to finish 9th on the road.

Good stuff!

joedilla

Thanks for sorting Robbo, I had a great time! Didn’t have a clue what I was doing as it was my first E race but I’m already excited for next weeks TT 😁. See you there guys!

scaled
    Free Member

Tuesday nights is it? If I can be late to the party that’d be great!

80kb and currently at 276 FTP.

My HRM is on the fritz at the moment so it makes every ride look like i’m cruising around having a brew though

robbo1234biking

OK so handicaps are live for tomorrow now.

It is a TT race so you will have an individual time. We go of at 10 second increments and drafting is turned of so it is you against the course (doesnt stop you catching people up for motivation though!).

Read up on the Zwift TT mode if you are unsure of what to expect.

https://zwiftinsider.com/time-trial-mode/

Choose the best bike for you and the course!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1La3WIPQUrOIv7FQHkJ_SSKDJsRoQPgCCR8RtR15TrC0/edit#gid=58956244

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

As I’m due to be at a meeting at 8pm tomorrow I won’t make it to the race unfortunately (and I really mean that, I rather like bologna!) but good luck all.

nixie

I’m dog training, hoping to be back in time but it will be tight. Intending to log Zwift on before I go so it automatically takes me to the pen.

karnali
    Free Member

I’m sr tight on getting there, out for a fell run with son first, that hill could be extra tough

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Well that didn’t go as planned at all.

Thought I’d hop on quickly this evening and do a short race. Bloody ftp increase before I’ve even managed one of the series with a sensible handicap. 😭

316 now according to intervals.icu robbo

stumpy01

🤣🤣🤣

reluctantjumper

My goal for tomorrow is to just actually finish the race! I did really well on this course last time, hopefully that’s a good omen.

Oblongbob

My trainer is still winging its way to Garmin after dying 3k from the end of the last race, so I think I’ll need to skip this one 😢. Credit to Garmin inasmuch as it seems to be a no quibble swap under warranty, and they’ll post a new one out as soon as they get the broken one. Quite an expensive thing to post though, at 24kg or so – £40!

No new crank yet either (after that gave up at the start of last week’s race) so the old dumb trainer and power meter on my old bike is also out.

Hopefully the crank is heading to Madison at some point soon to be checked out, but they won’t let me send it direct to them and insist I do it via a bike shop. I got it from Merlin and they say they can’t help because they don’t deal with Madison. So…apparently I should take it to the LBS (that I didn’t but it from) and ask them to send it back. Seems a bit cheeky, but I hope they’ll be ok about it and I’ll happily buy some stuff and pay postage costs.

So, I’ll see you in the start pens if I figure something out, otherwise enjoy yourselves!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Quite an expensive thing to post though, at 24kg or so – £40!

Depending on how long since you bought it they should see you right for that…

Straightliner

I can already say tonight’s race is going to be a struggle. Decided to enter and run a half marathon on Sunday (I’m not much of a runner although have had several sproadic attempts since the lockdowns began) and my legs have definitely not recovered. I think my ride up the climb is likely to be “lumbering”.

ahote

I had a bit of an off on the mtb yesterday and am struggling to do anything involving my ribs, like putting on clothes, moving, breathing etc. so may struggle a bit with tonight’s race if I can get onto the bike….
    On the plus side apparently I looked impressive as I rolled down the hill with the bike in hot pursuit!

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

@Oblongbob I had the same thing with Canyon ref the Ultegra crankset. They said contact LBS who then wanted £20 to send off to Madison with no guarantee they’d accept liability/replace under warranty. I didn’t bother in the end.

Sorry to see a few out this evening. Can’t say I’m looking forward to 20 mins of pain. Despite burying yourself, you always feel you could have gone harder. TT’s are a funny thing.

stumpy01

slowpuncheur

TT’s are a funny thing.

Apparently, Chris Boardman said that the first 13 mins of a TT are free.

So, really it’s only a 7min or so ride today. Winner Winner….

scaled
    Free Member

Going to be an interesting one tonight, I did ‘Orange Unicorn’ last night and on the nursery/school run I could barely turn the pedals

nixie

Hmmmm just noticed that Zwift have schedule race 2 and race 3 tonight at 7:30! That is going to cause a lot of confusion when the join event buttons start appearing!

savoyad

@nixie I saw that…but in the companion app it seems to have been fixed.

nixie

@savoyad, yes looks like it, was just about to message Rob and noticed the event links for 3a and 3b on zwift.com had the correct date. Hopefully its sorted!

robbo1234biking

Yeh it should be fixed and tonights event is showing up in Zwift Power

https://zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=2292932

Hope it all works out OK!

nixie

Soooo, who has been splashing out in the drop shop today 😀

funkybaj
    Free Member

I’m sadly going to miss the start line this week. Have been suffering with a crappy cold for a few days now, laying max effort in to a TT would just about finish me off. Enjoy all!

savoyad

Are you on shiny new wheels @nixie? They are out of my reach still, but I did upgrade my frame this morning – P5 to a Speedmax so maybe the most expensive drops-per-second transaction ever made.

Take care @funkybaj, better to see you on the start lines later in the series than you make it worse tonight. Good evening to miss as well…

nixie

@savoyad I am yes, those and the new frame makes it the most drops I’ve ever spent!

andeh

Well, as I’ve not spent any drops in about 20 levels, I think I can spare a few to sling at a new frame/wheels 😎

retrorick

I might have enough drops for a pair of socks 🤔😂.
    I think I’ll struggle with this evening’s course. I didn’t overly enjoy it last time.
    I have just ridden 2 miles in the real world at a higher pace than i normally would to catch the post box collection and it has demonstrated my lack of fitness to me 😭.
    I’ll take it easy tonight and aim for a restart to my cycling fitness.

karnali
    Free Member

Well a poor start to this series with another DNS tonight, the kids managed to pass their cold onto me, raging throat head and ears today. Sat down with a coffee at lunchtime and woke up 75 minutes later. Hey ho hopefully make it next week, shame I quite like Bologna as well

weeksy

I’ve never ridden the course. I’ve just had pizza and beer.

I’ll be in the line though, however I may not be taking it as seriously as some

retrorick

The first part of the course is ‘flat’ the last part is uphill and gets steeper and steeper towards the end 😭. I’ll be taking it easy.

stumpy01

Wot he said.

The second half just seems to go on and on 😂

No beer yet but my spicy pasta, feta, tomato, broccoli Gousto meal is definitely making its presence felt. My Wife’s just gone upstairs and proclaimed “Oh God, it bloody stinks up here….” 😆

I didn’t consider buying any upgrades, although now you mention it I do have some drops to spare.

I’m off at 7:31 so there’ll be a few people hauling me in, I reckon.

weeksy

What’s the best climb bike/wheels? I’ve got millions spare

stumpy01

I’m gonna just stick with the Tron bike. Had a quick look, but too much of a faff to decide.

jimdubleyou

Gone controversial- Spesh TT bike, climbing wheels 🙂

7:30 start so you can all admire it as you pass me 🙂

nixie

Failed to make the start. Left zwift running but for some reason was not automatically teleported to the start. I was hoping that as the timing starts from the line not the pen I could leave it running. Oh well, hope you all enjoyed it!

weeksy

can i puke yet ?

gingerflash

Well that was absolutely hideous!
    Started far too enthusiastically, tried to calm down ahead of the climb, and then went into the climb far too hot as well. The last km seemed to take a couple of hours.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 537 total)

The topic ‘STW Zwift Racing League – Autumn – 2021’ is closed to new replies.