Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 1,518 total)
  • STW Zwift Autumn Race Series 1
  • savoyad

These races are brilliant. That was a tough outing.
    I rode to my plan: go hard to the top of the first hill, settle into a group at the top, hopefully having gone hard enough to land in one with mainly better riders than me, and then hang on to the end, maybe try a cheeky attack on the volcano switchback if there’s any point by then.
    And as it turned out there certainly was a point – I knew that @kirky72 had a 15 second handicap advantage on me so I had to try something to get rid of him. It didn’t work but at least I tried.
    I felt on edge from the moment @phil56 joined our group – he obviously hadn’t bridged across like that just to sit on our wheels, and I was near my max the whole time so really worried that when he went if anyone went with him I’d be left behind. In hindsight, I spent too much time watching his power. I could have stolen those 15 secs from kirky if I’d held phil’s wheel – even for a bit – when he did go. But when that finally happened, I was fading (to be honest, I was really on the ropes) after my own failed attack.
    Really enjoyed it – thanks to everyone in our group – @J-R, @w00dster, phil (when he was there!) and kirky (who beat me fair and square in the end) for a great ride.

crust
    Free Member

Woop, a point. I got a point 🙂 🙂 🙂

That was another tough one. My ambition entering these races was to get a point, each week I’ve got closer, tonight I got one, happy bloke.

Thanks Robbo for organising them.

scaredypants

Someone went hard with a km to go, Scaredy jumped on but I’m guessing missed the memo about the blue banner as when I came pootling past he’d stopped between the finish arch and the blue banner 😅

<ahem> – I’d actually seen the memo but not seen our blue banner before. The “permanent” arch was orange with some blue so I assumed that was it. 🤡
    Did a lot better than I was exepecting – climb up to the bridge wasn’t far off my best ever (also a race) but I was a goner after that; threw a bit of a whitey at the beginning of the climb out so I was glad to be able to grab the bunch as you all came past near the top. If you’d all kept pushing I was dead meat

oopnorth
    Free Member

Seriously Robbo…take a bow! You have created a great event which is really engaging…massive kudos to you!!

I’m sure these events will run and run 👏👏

andeh

Haha, I did exactly the same thing the other week in Innsbruck, Scaredy!

neilarn2

Cheers Robbo great fun and bloody hard at the same

Thanks for your time and effort it’s appreciated, I know what it’s like to try organise things used to be fixture secretary for a cricket club.

scaredypants

You may all know each other but a lot of zwift usernames don’t match stw ones

I know it doesn’t matter but I sort of wish I knew (esp Robbo – I assumed he was S Robinson, who destroyed me up out of the gravel but seems not as that rider didn’t change bikes)

Never occurred to me not to use my stw name on zwift, but that was because I started pretty much just when weeksy’s meetup(s?) happened

scaredypants

Echo what others have said – thanks Robbo. Jiggling my work plans to try to swing it for next week too

kirky72
    Free Member

its interesting and slightly flattering that the likes of Savoyad are keeping an eye on my position and handicap differnce.

I was doing exactly the same and slightly complicated by the odd time differential eg when I was in front of you it was still showing I was 3 or 4 seconds behind.

my aim was to stick to yourself amongst one or two others and ideally a minute and half in front of andeh since my handicap has been reduced ( I use to be oaky finalising a minute to two ki.utes behind.

I seem to be putting out the most watts in that little group with Southside Johnny, woodshed, savored (I think tham 6 others finished ahead of me) so I must be the fatty amongst those. if I could get back towards 11 stone, which i was a while back, it might make it a bit easier for me. along with having to keep pushing my highest watts each race my average HR seems a bit higher than most folks.

hats off to Nixie he acheived an amazing time again and it must have been solo. bloody animal.

stumpy01

Well done on the point, Crust!

Sounds like you’re going in the right direction.

retrorick

I’ll be back next race. Looking forward to it. 👍

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I could have stolen those 15 secs from kirky if I’d held phil’s wheel – even for a bit – when he did go. But when that finally happened, I was fading (to be honest, I was really on the ropes) after my own failed attack.

@savoyad
    Don’t be too hard on your self, you’ve come on a long way over the summer – a lot of folks have – that you only finished 30 seconds down on TP is going some (and the results only have Phil 8 seconds ahead of you over the line so I’m not sure you’d have made 15 of that’s right)

Really enjoying the series and getting a feel for who I need to watch too though that’s more of a learning curve than I’d hoped!

It would have been nice to make an official finish this week but ce la vie.

There were some really good times up there all. Making that dent back after the power outrage (that was supposed to be outage but auto correct wrote it better so I’ll leave it) it’s a hell of a job Phil.

robbo1234biking

THanks for the kind comments all and glad you are having fun.

That was the aim. Not much chat from me last night as I was trying really hard. Turns out I got a 50min power PR, which beat my previous best in one of the TTT so things are progressing well for me as well.

This is next weeks route.

https://zwiftinsider.com/route/royal-pump-room-8/

The climbs aren’t as bad as they look on the chart shown btw. Nothing worse than this weeks race! We did this as a TTT course a few weeks back (well 2 laps of Yorkshire – this is 1 lap in one direction and 1 lap in the reverse direction) and it took about 48 minutes I think. Should create some good racing hopefully.

kirky72
    Free Member

The course seems to double back up the tougher climb very quickly leaving chance only for a short period of recovery. Going to be tough but as Robby says make for a good race.

weeksy

Oh man, where’s Richmond flat roads 🙁

nixie

I’ve raced that course once in a very small field. It’s hard. The climbs are short but steep.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

We’ll always have Paris weeksy

undarra
    Free Member

Sounds like another great race. Couldn’t make it this week, but will be back next week. Thanks for putting this all together Robbo.

weeksy

you mean Paris with the 3% up after the line ? lol

You guys don’t get ‘flat’ 😛

I ain’t complaining, it’s all fun. 3 points last night, can’t grumble there. Good battles all race too 🙂

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

The climbs are short but steep.

Not sure how it translates on Zwift as I’ve not ridden the reverse and the forward climb over the bridge doesn’t really feature but, the reverse climb up from the bridge irl is bloody awful for that.

The real stinkers on there though are the reverse climb to the roundabout after the kom and the reverse before you descend towards the start line, neither is steep or long but they feel like they go on forever.

mrhoppy

Pump Room 8 is harder than 2 laps of world’s IMO. The climb after the bridge is really tough towards the back end and the little kicker in the final descent is mean too.

I suspect it’ll make for good, if lonely racing.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

you mean Paris with the 3% up after the line ? lol

What’s 3% between friends?

Paris is a processional anyhow isn’t it? we all just plod round, shooting the breeze, the top scorer drinks bubbles and gives interviews. Contest the final sprint and have a jolly good time really?

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

My Wattbike Atom has been delayed by a few weeks 🙁 I’m looking forward to getting stuck into some of these once I’m up and running!

nixie

Don’t forget the drag to the arc de triomphe either. That’s just enough to be hard. Would it be unsporting to ride a TT bike in Paris?

1 lap is a little misleading for pump Room 8 😄 as it’s a monster lap.

scooba
    Free Member

It’s been great, I don’t really know anyone but have felt welcome and enjoyed it loads so far. Thanks for organising Robbo.

Slept like the dead last night.

The starts are always tough, but yesterday was really hard. Think I had to do a 5-600W effort to get onto the back of a group and that was my legs quivering for the rest of the race.

I was in a small group over the first climb, then I saw OopNorth watts drop and thought it was a technical issue only to see come screaming passed on a MTB…shortly followed by Robbo.

My tactics so far have been go pretty hard from the terrifying GO GO GO call, see what group I end up in, try and do my share of work if the legs allow, attack randomly to keep others (and most importantly myself) guessing and then up the watts by about 1% for my “sprint”.

To all the double fanners out there….. is it worth it? Sweated buckets last night.

Steve Scott

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

To all the double fanners out there….. is it worth it? Sweated buckets last night.

Last night wasn’t so bad (admitedly with two fans I was cold waiting for the go) on some of the 30+ degree days if I had them I’d have happily had a hundred going, planet and electric bill be damned.

oopnorth
    Free Member

I was still sweating buckets with 2 fans last night due to the effort around the jungle, although I am in the house, it may be okay with one if you are in the garage over autumn / winter.

zilog6128

I always sweat loads anyway even with 3 fans, it was better than before though (actually start to feel pretty ill when it’s really hot!)

mrhoppy

You may all know each other but a lot of zwift usernames don’t match stw ones

Fair point @robbo1234biking I’m happy to have my Zwift ID on the results/handicap sheet.

J-R

Thanks Rob, that was another great race.

Just like @tpbiker said:

These are good workouts for me, I spend most of the time just under ftp, but have to dig deep at intervals, and don’t get any rest even on the descents where it’s easy to get dropped if you let up for a second

It’s great to read the comments after the race – when I’m in a group it feels like all the others are happily spinning along at a comfortable pace, whereas in reality they are flat out just about keeping up and @kirky72 can even think that I

tried a cheeky break and they started to open a gap

whereas all I was doing was desperately trying not to get dropped by @Savoyad on yet another painful kick up. Perhaps if I realised at the rest of the group is hurting too . . . but I am already flat out so there is nothing more I can do anyway.

I am looking forward to Harrogate next week, partly because I rode it IRL a few weeks ago so it will good to experience it as a race.

robbo1234biking

Yeh I have put the ones on there that match or they posted on the forum with the zwift name but without asking express permission I didn’t think I could put everyone’s name on. If you haven’t got your Zwift name on the spreadsheet and are happy for it to go on let me know. Cheers

scooba – I think those are everyones tactics once it has settled down into groups have a look on the course on where you could perhaps break up your group so little ramps or 2-3 min hills where you think you can push above your FTP.

I actually really enjoy a shorter climb where you can push really hard and start to gap the people you are with. It is really rewarding to watch that gap grow. In my head I look like a pro casually putting down some power, whereas in reality I look like a sweaty short flump! Its all good fun though 🙂

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

on screen In my head I look like a pro casually putting down some power, whereas in reality I look like a sweaty short flump! Its all good fun though 🙂

This is also the problem with Internet dating.

scooba
    Free Member

Glad it’s not just me that thinks everyone else looks chipper whilst my HR is at 185. The avatars need to show a little more effort.

Think I’ll sort a second fan, and move into the garage from the kitchen!

Steve Scott/Scooba

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

from the kitchen!

Dear lord!

Gotta keep that espresso machine handy though I suppose

nixie

HR at 185 @scooba, oh to be young enough to hit that again. I was in the high 150s low 160s mostly. But then I do top out at 170.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

But then I do top out at 170

Top of the stairs yeah?

weeksy

race starting on the layout in 3 mins, good for a recce

DrP

I felt sooo rough yesterday..
    I struggled to get my HR above 170ish.. And struggled to ride above 2.5w/kg for the majority… 3.5 should be my easy cruising pace!!

Legs feel shot today too, and I’ve never sweated so much as I did last night despite 3 fans going and the kitchen door open for a through draft…

Oh lurgi be gone!!

DrP

weeksy

Only did half of the course, meh, can’t see me performing well on this one.

Starts nicely, but then lots of grinding… Joy !!!

tpbiker
    Free Member

Is next weeks race only one lap of that circuit then?

Lots of lumps.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 1,518 total)

The topic ‘STW Zwift Autumn Race Series 1’ is closed to new replies.