Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • STW Stereo buffs – London shop recommendation please!
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a bricks and mortar shop in London to buy a new stereo? I have decided on a Marantz MCR603, and want to get somewhere with good stock and advice to buy along with some speakers (And directional cables, natch)

Ideally somewhere open on a Sunday as well! Oh, and without the overly **** hifi geekness that comes with some places!

So, anyone care to recommend a London stereo store for me? Thanks!

Hairychested
    Free Member

Sevenoaks in Kingston.
    The hi-fi shop in Camden, near Mornington Cross.
    Off the A1 in a yard was a shop too, could get there but don’t remember the address.
    Hiway Hi Fi in Edgware Rd.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

Super-fi in Camden should stock it.

There’s a good shop in the west-end called Walrus… but you’d need to add a few zeros onto your budget

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Conqueror
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart would be interested to hear on here about how you find that beast after you get it

meesterbond

Unilet in New Malden every time.

I still travel over there from Essex to buy hifi, the service is so good.

I’ve always found Walrus to be rude and pretty unhelpful… stock some very nice gear, but very much for the valves and turntables crowd only.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’ve always found Walrus to be rude and pretty unhelpful… stock some very nice gear, but very much for the valves and turntables crowd only.

A bit like this then ?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSINO6MKtco[/video]

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Just buy it online or from Richer Sounds or someone. Can’t see the point of going to one of those overpriced poncy ‘hi-fi’ shops unless you’re wanting high-end kit.

There’s a little place opposite Condor does some nice gear; think they do s/h stuff as well.

nicko74

Another vote for superfi in Mornington Crescent here. I bought my Arcam/ KEF setup from them, and took the amp back to them for repair when it blew a fuse, and they’ve always been very courteous and professional. Plus they have a well executed website, too.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Didn’t make it as far as Camden. Was distracted by a rather liquid lunch in the Admiral Cod instead! 😳

Thanks for recommendations, all. Will try and get to Superfi at some point this week. Am thinking of Monitor Audio BX1 speakers, if anyone has any opinion on those…

Conqueror, will report back!

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve got BX2s. They sound a bit flat with the bass port bungs in. The BX1s don’t have bass ports.

Make of this what you will.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Walrus is excellent – Les really knows his stuff and won’t steer you wrong with recommendations.

but you won’t find mid-fi stuff like the Marantz there.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Walrus is excellent – Les really knows his stuff and won’t steer you wrong with recommendations.

but you won’t find mid-fi stuff like the Marantz there.

Then why even bother to recommend it? I clearly stated what I wanted to buy, yet people are recommending a shop that wouldn’t stoop so low as to stock something so common…Bah.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

because somebody dissed when it is one of the best shops around. And one day you might decide to upgrade from the Marantz…

RichPenny
    Free Member

I have to say I’m disappointed Flashie. A man of your means and position should have a nice piece of British kit 🙂 What about a Linn Classik or Arcam Solo from ebay?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Rich, I’d love to be able to buy British, but sadly no one British makes exactly the sort of thing I’m after!

Marantz seem to have hit the nail on the head with regards to being able to play music from as many sources as possible and that’s what I need really.

Would really like to have been able to buy something from Naim to keep it “local”! 😉 Their UnitiQute would be ideal, but just a little too expensive! (and doesn’t have a CD player)

nicko74

Flash, what precisely are you after? CD, radio(?), digital stream in? Arcam’s latest Solo has all of those, I believe, but I could be wrong.

p7rich
    Free Member

+1 Unilet. Excellent and well regarded. Massive range also IIRC.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Can’t offer any advice on where to buy but worth checking that you have listened to what you are planning to buy and that you like it. Most important thing for me when buying hifi is what it sounds like. Was tempted to go for Marantz a while ago due to the positive reviews etc. Had a listen and was distinctly unimpressed – quite dull and muted sound. But maybe that’s because my ears are a bit shot and I am quite particular about the tone and quality of the sound. Didn’t buy. Just out of curiosity I visited our local AudioT (or whatever they are called now) a few months ago with my son. Listened to a Naim set up (CD and Amp – can’t remember the speakers but they were £1000 jobbies) and was not impressed with that either. Very harsh and clinical and seemed to have all the soul taken out of the music.

So, while it is a good idea to have something in mind you would like to buy I can only recommend you listen to it first and also make sure you audition some other options just to make sure you are happy with what you are getting.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Solo Neo was on the list, but couldn’t really justify the extra cost (Double the Marantz). Didn’t sound any better (At least to me) and didn’t really feel much nicer/better. Also, with the cost plus speakers it would be a way more expensive set up. More than I need/want to spend.

Re having a listen, yep, have hear speakers and box seperately now and gone for the set up above. Sad to admit, I ended up buying online. 😳 Being delivered tomorrow, so will wire up and let you know what it sounds like in situ.

Now, what tunes to test it with back here at Flash Towers? 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Popol Vuh.

Edukator
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npnGTnupBX0&feature=BFa&list=PLA4AFE26F5A3AAC5F&index=3[/video]

Conqueror
    Free Member

‘ows it then Captain?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah has he bought this bloody thing yet then worse than me oh yeah just remembered I need to buy a headset should’ve bought it last week. 😳

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘STW Stereo buffs – London shop recommendation please!’ is closed to new replies.