Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • STW site – “Hide IP address from trackers”
  • DrJ

I’ve discovered that I can coax this site to work on Safari by turning off “Hide IP address from trackers”. I’m wondering if any readers are IT middle managers 🙂 and could explain why that happens on STW and almost nowhere else, and also tell me if I will die having turned off this feature?

willard

You don’t want an IT middle manager for that sort of question, you want someone that understands how IT actually works. Cougar should be along soon and may well be able to explain it.

footflaps

I use Safari to view the site on my 2010 MBP and amazingly it still works fine, if not a little slow…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’m wondering if any readers are IT middle managers 🙂 and could explain why that happens on STW

Because the site has been scoped in a novel way, exemplifying the strategic thinking of the client base whilst providing ample maneuvering spacefor a helicopter view of performance against multiple metrics in a proactive manner that allows maintenance of a big picture approach and ensures a synergy of end user buy in and alignment with best practice.

willard

Bingo

wheelsonfire1

My iPad and Apple phone work fine on STW using safari with standard settings including blocking trackers and other nefarious tech things, could it be a coincidence?

Cougar

Cougar should be along soon and may well be able to explain it.

Hiya.

I wrote a reply and the site crashed. Irony.

I’m not an Apple person, but in order to try and answer the question I’d need to know how it wasn’t working previously. Was there an error, or something else?

Safari is kinda weird. So is STW, together you’ve got Weird Squared.

bentandbroken

Woks fine on both my old and new MacBooks using Safari. Not blocking Ads or hiding IP addresses or anything like that, just the normal ‘default’ settings.

IMNA-IT-MID-MGR 😉

slowoldman

Safari worked fine on my old 2012 MacBook Pro and works on my new Air M2.

Not blocking Ads or hiding IP addresses or anything like that, just the normal ‘default’ settings.

Hide IP is ON on mine. That is default isn’t it?

DrJ

I’m not an Apple person, but in order to try and answer the question I’d need to know how it wasn’t working previously. Was there an error, or something else?

Basically just refusing to load – I got the line about “searching with the power of Google” and then no more. This is despite clearing cookies and history, updating OS, uttering a prayer etc.

dissonance

I would guess there is an advertiser/tracker call which is hanging.
    Disabling the trackers stops it getting called.

Cougar

It’s the opposite, isn’t it? Something is waiting for information which never arrives.

I’d raise it with Tech.

Drac

Searching with the power of google?

How are you accessing the site, by entering the URL or using a search engine?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member
    prettygreenparrot

I’ve discovered that I can coax this site to work on Safari by turning off “Hide IP address from trackers”.

🤷🏻‍♂️ works for me with maximum safari hiding.

Drac

What device is that on looks nothing life safari that I’m use to?

Oh and which internet provider do you use? I use Sky now and using the router i get similar, bouncing off the Google Homebase Wi-Fi it’s fine.

CountZero

I tend not to use Safari on iOS, although not for any particular reason. I normally use Brave, Firefox, DuckDuckGo and sometimes Ghostery Dawn, all with DDG as search, and a VPN, with app tracking off, except for TomTom, but I’ve never seen that pop up before.

Cougar

Sandwich

uttering a prayer

Which deity? Safari can be a weird beastie as Cougar says. My experience is that some pages won’t allow scrolling up and will snap back to the bottom as soon as the scrolling ceases.

Edit I’m currently free-loading until payday and there appears to be things not working as they should as a result. The scrolling thing being a case in point. The pi-hole is mitigating some of the more egregious call on my bandwidth at home.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

What device is that on looks nothing life safari that I’m use to?

but I’ve never seen that pop up before.

Sorry I may have misdirected – (a) I’m not the op, (b) not using safari but that image is of the first line of text at the top of the page directly above the search bar on chrome (as image), edge, and opera variously across android, w10 and w11, I’d be surprised if it’s not at the top of safari and the OP’s mention sort of confirms it is (for them at least). I’d posted in response to

Drac
    Searching with the power of google?

How are you accessing the site, by entering the URL or using a search engine?

DrJ

Yes what I see is just what @dangeourbrain posted.

slowoldman

So I this MacOS or iOS?

Drac

I can see you use sky @DrJ as I say I get that too, not the only site I’ve noticed it on, not all the time but it’s annoying. I’ve tried changing settings on the router but it won’t let me.

DrJ

I think you’ve hit on it @drac. If I turn off wifi on my phone and use 4G it works even with IP hiding activated.

I get the same issue on MacOS, so I keep a Chrome window for STW use.

Considering I can’t even figure out how a hosepipe works ( as per my other thread) it’s not surprising that this computery stuff has me foxed 🥲

Drac

Yeah it’s very odd.

If I can work out the issue I’ll try to post a guide.

zilog6128

Sky routers are notoriously shite, plus they have certain “features” which AFAIK most (all?) other ISPs don’t (one of the reasons it’s such a ball-ache to replace their router with a better 3rd party one). This is probably causing some kind of conflict! (Not very helpful and not a solution, sorry, except to say “ditch Sky” lol)

captmorgan
    Free Member

Sky routers are notoriously shite, plus they have certain “features” which AFAIK most (all?) other ISPs don’t (one of the reasons it’s such a ball-ache to replace their router with a better 3rd party one). This is probably causing some kind of conflict! (Not very helpful and not a solution, sorry, except to say “ditch Sky” lol)

Should someone search this in the future, replacement routers for sky are more readily available than some folk believe (not to say every modem/fw/router/switch/accesspoint will work).

If you google search sky dhcp option 61 routers that should point you in the right direction.

zilog6128

Should someone search this in the future, replacement routers for sky are more readily available than some folk believe

yeah, I did it myself some years ago, not rocket science but also they don’t make it particularly straightforward! Unless they’ve changed their policy they don’t even give you the login details you need (have to extract it yourself from the old router!)

tenfoot

Out of the blue, I had this problem too using sky WiFi on both my iPhone and iPad.

I wondered if it might be related to sky shield so I went into that and asked it to allow Singletrackworld. That seemed to fix the issue.

Maybe a coincidence but it’s been ok since.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.