Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 140 total)
  • STW Scotland – Ballater weekend and Nymphoramafest – 14th/15th November
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

Right guys – here goes with final arrangements. READ THIS VERY CAREFULLY.

Saturday: meet at the car park at Crathie at 9am ready for a 9:30am start. Map here. From memory we might have to pay for this car park but it's worth it to keep Her Maj in the comfortable lifestyle to which she is accustomed, I'm sure you'll all agree…

Sunday: meet at the Loch Muick car park at Spittal of Glen Muick. We can be a bit more relaxed on the start time for this as it's a shorter ride. Let's say 9:30 for 10. Map here. Another pay per park one, I'm afraid, but this one at least goes to the upkeep of the mountain environment, I think.

As with all of these rides, I'm working on the assumption that all riders who turn up are competent on a bike, properly equipped and can look after themselves in a mountain environment. Ask yourself the question: "Would I be comfortable doing this myself?". If the answer is "No" then please think twice about coming along because I'm not a mountain bike guide. I'll happily take responsibility for not getting us lost, but if I think someone is holding the group up significantly I'll send them home because we can't afford to be hanging around at this time of year. Similarly if the weather is going tits up, I'll cut the ride short and probably err on the side of caution so be prepared for diversions or shortcuts. There are a number of escape options early on the Saturday ride, though it becomes a bit more committing later on. Ultimately everyone is responsible for themselves and for staying with the group unless we decide to split into smaller groups.

Finally, bring lights, just in case; seeing lights for the front, be-seen light for the back. Map and compass handy too in case we need to split up.

Assuming we're OK with this, lets have a roll-call.

(bossy bastard mode off)

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Right guys – here goes with final arrangements. READ THIS VERY CAREFULLY.

Saturday: meet at the car park at Crathie at 9am ready for a 9:30am start. Map here. From memory we might have to pay for this car park but it's worth it to keep Her Maj in the comfortable lifestyle to which she is accustomed, I'm sure you'll all agree…

Sunday: meet at the Loch Muick car park at Spittal of Glen Muick. We can be a bit more relaxed on the start time for this as it's a shorter ride. Let's say 9:30 for 10. Map here. Another pay per park one, I'm afraid, but this one at least goes to the upkeep of the mountain environment, I think.

As with all of these rides, I'm working on the assumption that all riders who turn up are competent on a bike, properly equipped and can look after themselves in a mountain environment. Ask yourself the question: "Would I be comfortable doing this myself?". If the answer is "No" then please think twice about coming along because I'm not a mountain bike guide. I'll happily take responsibility for not getting us lost, but if I think someone is holding the group up significantly I'll send them home because we can't afford to be hanging around at this time of year. Similarly if the weather is going tits up, I'll cut the ride short and probably err on the side of caution so be prepared for diversions or shortcuts. There are a number of escape options early on the Saturday ride, though it becomes a bit more committing later on. Ultimately everyone is responsible for themselves and for staying with the group unless we decide to split into smaller groups.

Finally, bring lights, just in case; seeing lights for the front, be-seen light for the back. Map and compass handy too in case we need to split up.

Assuming we're OK with this, lets have a roll-call.

(bossy bastard mode off)

italspark
    Free Member

up keep of the mountain envioroment……..you mean building large waterbars dont you?
    im mad for it both days
    me and missus italspark and the little italspark are coming, were staying in the camper on the friday night and in the bunkhouse on the sat,
    anybody know a quiet spot that i can park up for the night in the area

swavis

I'm guttted I can't make this, looks like a couple of fantastic routes.
    Sunday's looking good weather wise so I'm off to Laggan with the gf.
    You put in a leave request yet shortbread? 😉

jimcollins67
    Free Member

Packed and ready to go Stuartie, Paul is also coming along. Do you have the route as a gpx file Stuartie, if so send it to me and i'll load it onto the gps as back up.

Jim

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Mailed it to you Jim.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Stuartie-c, YGM

I'm mad for this. I've just driven down the A9 from Aviemore in the mother of all rainstorms. Hopefully it hasnt landed as snow on the tops.

No one is going to beat italspark if there is a scranning competition.

willy
    Free Member

is anyone going from aberdeen on the friday night or saturday morning? fancy giving me a lift. il bring you some cake 🙂

radoggair
    Free Member

of topic, i've just ate some chicken pakora that was cack, but the frijj chocolate fudge brownie milkshake was deeeelicious to wash it down with

Stuart, is this a new H&S thing you have to do when arranging rides cos i dont like it ??…….. never new you were so bossy

Will i make it, Saturday : NO, COS I'M WORKING, Sunday possibly. Need to check with Duggie stylee first. Feel i've lost some fitness recently tho so may struggle to keep up

hairyscary

I'll be heading from Dyce at about 3.30 on Friday afternoon and will have room for one.

I have no way of checking the forum after 5.00 tomorrow morning though!

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Feel i've lost some fitness recently tho so may struggle to keep up

Aye right!

H&S style disclaimer is just to dissipate the frustrations of a shite week at work – got to take it out on someone dude! 😉

Try sausage, leek and apple casserole instead of chicken pakora; you'll not be disappointed.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Willy if you need to contact Hairyscary about travel arrangements you can do it tomrrow via me on e-mail at jo.cardwell (at) moray.gov.uk

Swithering about bike choice again…. Should I take the one that's light to carry but with less beefy front forks, or the full sus that's shite for hike a bike…??? See having more than one bike, it's not all it's cracked up to be. 😕

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Actually, Radoggair is right. I've just re-read the "disclaimer" and it sounds a bit tosser-ish.

jojoA1
    Free Member

In these litigious days, one can't be too careful. I forgive you. x

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I feel all warm inside now Jo. x back

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Go get a room, I'd feel safer with the nymphettes

willy
    Free Member

hairyscary fire me an email on gibbymc@hotmail.com are you staying till sunday or whats your plan?
    cheers mate

radoggair
    Free Member

In these litigious days, one can't be too careful. I forgive you. x

I feel all warm inside now Jo. x back

i feel well left out of this.Mcmoonter is right, we're sharing the nymphs!!

Swithering about bike choice again…. Should I take the one that's light to carry but with less beefy front forks, or the full sus that's shite for hike a bike…??? See

oh fu*k, not even started riding and its change change change!! 😳

willy
    Free Member

if i come im bringing a spesh demo 9 i wouldnt worry about the hike a bike

willy
    Free Member

raddogair, do you ride a turner and live somewhere down in the borders? think i rode with you at gt once?

swiss01
    Free Member

sounds great, even if the weather forecast looks less than benign. even so whatever it's like i'd rather be there than at work, which is where i'm going to be both days. he said. glumly

italspark
    Free Member

mmmmmmm…….what bike for lochnagar ?

Sanny
    Free Member

Shortbread and Stuartie_c

Can you e mail me your e mail addresses please.

Sannyatsingletrackworld.com

Tried to email you Stuartie about a particularly nice trail on the edge of ballater you might like that looks like no one has ever ridden it….Whoop! Your e mail doesn't seem to be working at the mo!

Enjoy the weekend chaps.

Cheers

Sanny

PS Has anyone ridden over Bynack More? I was doing a search on Flickr yesterday and it looks like there is potential for a stupidly epic Cairngorm loop….hee! hee! 😀

2tyred

Has anyone ridden over Bynack More?

Only up and back down from the Ryvoan side, not from the Cairngorm side. The descent back towards Glenmore is brilliant, well worth the battering I took from the wind on the way up.

These rides look brilliant, shame I can't make it. Heading up that way during the week, so I'm keen to read reports!

jojoA1
    Free Member

willy – Member
    if i come im bringing a spesh demo 9 i wouldn't worry about the hike a bike

But I'm only an ickle girl! 😉

italspark – Member
    mmmmmmm…….what bike for lochnagar ?

Well?!!! 5" full sus with Pikes or floaty hardtail with Revs….???? Answers damnit!!!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

If you have the choice 5" FS, definitely.

FG
    Free Member

Hmm. Not sure I have the fitness for this one. Maybe next time.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Italspark's bike choice needs to exclude the optional tree magnet. I think it's safe to assume the Lochnagar plateau is free from trees.

radoggair
    Free Member

raddogair, do you ride a turner and live somewhere down in the borders? think i rode with you at gt once?

Bingo bongo dude, correct

stuartie_c
    Free Member

If anyone is turning up to the meeting point tomorrow morning, it would be a good idea to phone ahead to the hostel and ask for me (Stuart Campbell) just in case we need to change plans due to weather conditions.

The number is 01339 753752.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The weekend weather curtailed any serious mountain ascents. We got up to the Meikle Pap path and decided to contour around to the waterfall above Loch Muick. The winds were gusting to the point where we were being blown off our bikes and the water fall was flowing upwards. We abandonned ship, and headed back to Ballater. All was not lost the nymphettes save the day for one lucky rider. Ten under the Ben takes on a whole new meaning.

On Sunday we met up with some local riders from Ballater and 22 of us went out on a much more rewarding ride.

NB first attempt at posting pics, this could go horribly wrong.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Not seeing the pics McM…

Thanks to all who turned up to make another excellent weekend (despite Saturday's gruesome death march). Hooking up with the LBS was a great idea for today's ride even though I missed it as I was too wimpish to actually get out of my bed before 11am.

We'll do this one again in the spring/summer as there is so much good riding in the area and the hostel is tremendous. Harry has given us a "nymphette guarantee" as well.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Stuartie, I forwarded you the link, perhaps you could post the nymphettes.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Jim gets lucky.

Jo feels the love

Colin shows his appreciation of the conditions

More here.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

What was blondie doing with her elbow?

jojoA1
    Free Member

Thanks for an 'intersting' day out on the bike yesterday. As always, I picked the wrong day to ride…

I shall be bringing my party shoes and hair straighteners for the next trip so I can join in with the Nymphettes 🙂

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Thanks for an 'intersting' day out on the bike yesterday

I think we'll put it down as a partial success, or would that be pushing it a bit?

jojoA1
    Free Member

Partial success in that we got to ride bikes for a bit.

italspark
    Free Member

i remember pushing a lot

stuartie_c
    Free Member

OK, OK, I get it…

I can't get it right all the time, but at least I got the nymphs to turn up 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 140 total)

The topic ‘STW Scotland – Ballater weekend and Nymphoramafest – 14th/15th November’ is closed to new replies.