• This topic has 75 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Spin.
Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • STW Running/Duathlon/Triathlon intentions
  • curto80
    Free Member

Probably need to get something in the diary but immediate target is to complete 1000 miles of running for the year. City To Summit really took it out of me (and doing the Club des Singles plus a trail run up Ventoux the following week didn’t help).

The weekday evening sprint duathlons at Castle Combe are a good laugh. Might do the North Downs 50 too. No road marathoning anymore though, just not for me.

northshoreniall

Not being a runner, for some reason I have entered the Glen Affric duathlon in May. More to give me something to train for/ keep motivated. (Its not working so far 🙁 )
    Also gives us excuse visit some friends in Inverness.

bigdean

robin hood dualthlon off road – really enjoyed it this year (4 weeks ago) – good fun in the mud

I was supposed to do this chickened out as sat for a few hours before listening to the rain and was riding there and home. Thought of riding there in the rain, standing around beforehand and racing in the rain just did’t seem fun. The bike course was ace in the dark the night before though.

Have entered the clumber duathlon in the hope to better last years time, bit embarising when the following wave steam past you on the run.

Spin
    Free Member

for some reason I have entered the Glen Affric duathlon in May

My wife has done it a few times and says it’s a really nice event.

northshoreniall

That’s good to hear Spin – never been in a race before and fancied a lowish key event to start with and far enough away timewise to get fit for.

marcus
    Free Member

ajf – Managing the training /preparation without getting injury is a big problem for me at the moment. Part way through a 2 week rest at the moment because of a few niggles, and then a final ramp up for January.

turboferret

Currently in the middle of winter XC, and building up the miles in preparation for my A-race which is London Marathon in April.

My run commute of 90km in the past 3 days has left me a bit tired, but all part of the process of trying to go sub 2:30 😀

Cheers, Rich

ciron
    Free Member

Good luck Marcus and ajf. The Spine and BG are both on my list to attempt someday.

I’m signed up for the SDW100 (June) and NDW100 (August), and will most likely be at the OMM again. Aim is to get the points for the UTMB in 2019 after doing the TDS this year.

Spin
    Free Member

Got my Jura entry in on Friday. By far and away the best race of its kind in the country.

alwillis

Entered Ironman Austria in July with the aim of going sub 10 for the first time, will probably also do the Grafman half in preparation (did it a few years ago and really enjoyed it in the rain!)

jambrose
    Free Member

Really looking forward to 2018. My incredibly supportive wife and two small children have allowed me to step up to stupid volumes of training for this year in the hope that I can scratch this nagging IM itch. This has been my aim for five years of training and events now but a nasty smash on a winter ride (two years ago in February) and two operations later I am back on track!

Fewer events this year (the cost is insane) but I have entries for:

Dalby headtorch run in January – a favourite of mine!

The London marathon in April – I will try and raise a few bob for charity with this one

IM Bolton in July – still trying to get my head round the numbers

And finally Castle Howard Olympic a week after Bolton! Not booked yet but I do CH every year and 2018 will be no different, regardless of the state I am in.

lunge

Well, that escalated. Went to a wedding on Friday, was sat around with a few of the lads from the stag do, “lunge, you do a bit of running don’t you?” Yeah, why? “Bit of cycling too I hear, can you swim?” Err, I think I know where this is going, I’m listening.. “so, group of us are doing an Iron Man in Italy, debating riding out bikes down through France to get there, keen?” So yeah, I’m now doing an Iron Man after a 1000 mile bike ride. I’m an idiot I aren’t I?

bikebouy
    Free Member

😆
    Nope, that’s a brilliant idea.. got to be one to remember.

Another 22ks of loops around QECP and Head Down for me yesterday, cracking day for it. Slightly rolled left ankle on a sodden wet root which today is sore.. hope to back out running tomorrow for a lighter session..

jambrose
    Free Member

Lunge – just look at the bike ride as topping up your IM training!

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Doing the Buff Winter Trails Half in mid January down at Coed Y Brenin.

Wilmslow half – local club event = pub afterwards

Manchester marathon.

Trail marathon wales.

Considering Lakeland 50? ( any ideas of something similar?)

mogrim

Considering Lakeland 50? ( any ideas of something similar?)

Loads of other ultras around, if you fancy a trip to Spain I can recommend a few.

And I’m loving the idea of riding down through France to do an IM – cracking idea!

Anyway, today’s outing was a half marathon, billed as “Madrid’s hardest half marathon”. A bit hilly, completed in 4:20 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

To break 18 minutes for 5k and 38 mins for 10k before I hit 54 in October.

surfer
    Free Member

@turboferret

but all part of the process of trying to go sub 2:30

Nice, keep us updated..

mogrim

To break 18 minutes for 5k and 38 mins for 10k before I hit 54 in October.

Don’t forget to stretch after 😈

surfer
    Free Member

I’ll take my lead from you fast lads…

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Homemade IronMan
    Swim in the sea outside my local sailing club, ride my local roads, but I can’t run (meniscus removal), so I’m going to SUP the marathon which will take 7 hours, so not a cop out! Strava doesn’t lie, so I can’t cheat. Already cut right back on booze and it’s given me good motivation to go out and ride a bit more.

finbar
    Free Member

My a-race for 2018 is Doncaster 5km in July 8) .

stewartc
    Free Member

Done half marathons before but managed my first 43km off road night run this year, the Moontrekker, which was the hardest thing I have ever done, will be signing up again with the target of a sub 8 hour time.
    It really put me in the mood for trail running so will be signing up for a few of the many event running over winter here.

alanf
    Free Member

Finbar – what time are you aiming for at Donny? I’ve never done it but it’s supposed to be a very quick course. I expect you’ll be after something in the 15s or maybe 14s?
    Just keep an eye out for the locals 😆

finbar
    Free Member

Finbar – what time are you aiming for at Donny? I’ve never done it but it’s supposed to be a very quick course. I expect you’ll be after something in the 15s or maybe 14s?
    Just keep an eye out for the locals

Haha, I’ll watch out for Doncatraz’s finest! 15:59 is the dream. I’ve run 16:21 in 2014, but the fastest I’ve been this year is 17:06 after tearing my achilles last year. So I’ve got quite a bit of work to do…

From your post on the first page it sounds like I’ll probably see you at an evening fell race or maybe the South Yorks five miler series 🙂 ?

alanf
    Free Member

Good luck – you’ve got some time to build back up for Donny.
    Yep, I’ll be doing the road leagues again and Trunces, you’ll probably not see me though, although I’ll probably see the back of you, until you’ve disappeared into the distance 😆
    Have you done the Trunce? It’s a great series and a bargain at just £1:50 a race 🙂

sssimon
    Free Member

Run over the glens on 1st of January to shock the body into realising that 2018 is going to be a better year for running than 2017

Larne half marathon in March

Belfast Marathon in May (first Marathon, target time 3.45 but hopefully anything sub 4)

Causeway marathon in September as first trail marathon, rally dislike running on roads but thinking going straight to a coastal hilly trail marathon as the first wouldn’t be a great idea.

alanf
    Free Member

Forgot to add the Northumberland coastal run!
    It’s my nemesis, although managed to finish it this year and get a course best.
    It will always be a special race for me that one 🙂

finbar
    Free Member

To my shame I’ve never done the Trunce. I really have no excuse as it’s just about cycleable from me (10 miles). Maybe 2018 will be the year I get involved…

alanf
    Free Member

Do it, it’s a great event. It’s about as low key as it gets but still attracts in the region of 400 runners for the busiest races.
    Oh and it has a couple of brutal climbs and you have to cross* the river Don 3 times 🙂

* Actually it’s 4 but there is one bridge. The other 3 times you get a choice of stepping stones or river (but never chose the stones, they are slippery)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Like the idea of the Northumberland Coastal Run..

alanf
    Free Member

Like the idea of the Northumberland Coastal Run..

It’s a great event – entries open mid Jan, it usually sells out pretty quickly (within 24hrs) so if you fancy it have a look on the Alnwick harriers web page for further details.

eastcoastmike
    Free Member

I’ll be having another crack at this year’s races: Balmoral Duathlon, the Illuminator trail half, Aberdeen half, Ythan Challenge.

Would quite like to do more MTB duathlons, only other one I’ve seen is Muckmedden who started one this year.

Might also do the Dramathon, a trail run between different distilleries, you get allocated whisky miniatures depending on the distance (can do 10k/half/full marathon) and perhaps a few other trail halfs around Royal Deeside

redmist
    Free Member

More running on the cards this year with a couple of marathons including a first trail marathon. Then Ironman Norway in July, followed by the etape a week later which should be interesting.

Hells

I’ve got Ironman Austria in July and Ironman 70.3 Nice in September. Plus there will be a few other events in between!

Spin
    Free Member

Entries for the Salomon Skyline Scotland suite of races open on 09/01/18:

Linky

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘STW Running/Duathlon/Triathlon intentions’ is closed to new replies.