• This topic has 75 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Spin.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • STW Running/Duathlon/Triathlon intentions
  • smogmonster

I know STW is not even close to mtb-only these days, so thought i’d see what events/races people are intending to do next year outside of mountain biking. So far for me its the Harewood House 10K in February, Stockton Duathlon in April, the ITU Standard Distance Triathlon in Leeds in June (assuming ive learnt to swim better than the Titanic before then that is), and then the Humber Half Marathon a fortnight later. If i can be arsed by October i might try the Kielder Run-Bike-Run and/or the Half Marathon the day after.

nickc

Manchester Marathon in April.

simon_g

Adidas Fulham 10k in March with a few mates.

Tempted to go for the Royal Parks half as I did it (very badly, on minimal preparation) in 2008 and fancy another go 10 years on.

lunge

March – Warwick half marathon, in prep for…
    April – Manchester Marathon,see you there Nick!
    May – A triathlon of some kind, in prep for…
    June – Half Iron Man

This then leaves a summer of biking that builds up to Manchester to London in September.

Heck of a year ahead.

nickc

hey lunge, cool. 😀

dragon
    Free Member

Balmoral duathlon probably and I’d recommend it, to others. The cycle is a 16k mtb (non-tech) out into the Cairngorms with great views of Lochnagar, and the run goes right past the Queen’s front door. Nice laid back vibe also. There is a 15 mile trail run in the afternoon for keen runners, if you want to make the most of it.

blitz

Canterbury 10 mile run in Jan on the way towards Brighton Marathon in April. Leeds Castle Tri in June and then Whitstable Tri in August. That’s the current plan.

TheDTs
    Free Member

May do a parkrun with the kids on Sunday.

lunge

May do a parkrun with the kids on Sunday.

😥
    My local Parkrun has had to stop for a few months whilst they dig up the park. I’m gutted.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Get some electric fencing off a friendly farmer and some wooden fencing and have your own Tough Mudder, surely?

wors

After spending the last 4 years training for Ironman/Half Ironman, i am planning on using next year to fix my body and ride my bike for the love of riding my bike..

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’ll be doing the Great North Run again in 2018 with various 10k’s along the way. I did it in 2016 and after getting all my training right and feeling really confident, only to come down with a cold and chest infection as I started to taper down. Managed to complete it but was a complete wreck by mile 8.
    I also want to do the one year/1000 mile challenge which I’ve come close to before but always fallen short. Would also like to do the same with the rower but in KM’s as I’m getting back into it.

marcus
    Free Member

Spine in January. Not sure after that. Few big events recently and the body feels like it needs a bit a break from running.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’m thinking

Ripon Hornblower Duathlon
    A duathlon in Keighley April time….can’t recall the details at min
    Helvellyn Triathlon in September with Mrs FD doing the swim and me doing the bike and run.

Oh and Wharfedale Off Road Half Marathon

elliptic
    Free Member

Mountain marathons. GF and me did the OMM together last month and enjoyed it, so next year it’ll be the Saunders in the Lakes, maybe the OMM again on Dartmoor and hopefully the LAMM if it actually happens again.

bookwyse
    Free Member

Blitz,

Will see you at Canterbury as part of my training for a 70km from Brecon to Cardiff run in February.

Leeds Castle TRi in June

100 Race to the Stones run in July.

Beachy Head Marathon again this year. This was my first this year after I started running in April and managed a 4.42 Sounds slow but over 4200ft of climbing involved!

sboardman

PECO XC series this winter and then Temple Newsam Ten are next on my calendar.

I’d love to have a go at a duathalon, but don’t really fancy any of the road based ones. Kielder RBR looks bood, but if anyone’s got other (Northern) suggestions that would be fab!

mogrim

Only race I’m signed up for is a 160km ultra in the Basque country in July. I’ll do a couple of shorter ultras while training for this, not sure where/what yet.

durhambiker
    Free Member

My main events for the year are all booked now, some daft stuff to take on next year in prep for some dafter things in 2019.

May: Pirate DIY Half Ironman, and then Enduroman 3,2,1 Swim
    June: Lakesman Full distance
    August: JurassicMan
    September: Brutal Double in a relay, I’m doing the run.

I hang around with the wrong crowd. Also got to do a recce of a potential 250+ mile ultra at some point for work.

dovebiker

Planning to do Rovaniemi 150 on foot in February – I’ve done the 150 and 300 by fatbike already and fancied a change.

Stainypants

I’m just coming out of a post Lakesman slump having spent 2 years training to do it. Durham if you haven’t done it before it was a brilliant race this year.

Will do 2 out of Edale Skyline fell race, Manchester Marathon and Three Peaks Fell race

Signed up this weekend to the the Great North SwimRun in June 18 and and bought the swimrun specific wetsuit. I have no idea how I’m going to run a 20mile+ fell run in a wetsuit and swim 5K in trainers it looks good fun. But I like to set myself a challange that I’m not sure I can do.

I’m currently completely re-learning my swimming stroke and I’ve gone from being able to swim 2.5 miles in the summer to bearly been able to swim a length now.

I might do Outlaw full in July, I’m going focus on road biking after the Swimrun as I’m planning on cyling the Alps Marmotte Cycle route in August.

Firsly need to lose 2 stone :-).

stever
    Free Member

Dunno at the moment, I’ve done a lot of my long standing list. Maybe Welsh 3000s again and some more Lakeland Classic fells. That Helvellyn Tri looks interesting.

chrisa87
    Free Member

I’ve only got the Graffman booked so far, but at least 2HM and 10K’s as well. Also intending to do the ROC MM again in September

durhambiker
    Free Member

Stainypants, did it this year and volunteered the year before. Absolutely brilliant race, Phil and Marie really know how to put on an event for the athletes. Even down to Jamie the British Tri official, everything about that race is superb. My only issue this year (other than the heat and my lack of training) was nearly being crashed into on the bike by a car trying to outrun armed police…

Chrisa87, have you done Grafman before? Did it this year. Enjoyable race.

Stainypants

Jamie was great, gave me a bollicking for something trivial in the transition on the Saturday night, then was a fantatic encouragement throughout the day top guy.

alanf
    Free Member

Boston marathon (no not that one – Lincolnshire).
    Brass monkey half – Jan – York
    Retford half – Mar
    Dewsbury 10K
    Plus a load of others I’ve not yet decided.
    Local races throughout the year but will try and get to most of the Trunce if possible.

CraigW
    Free Member

Highland Fling ultramarathon in April.
    Maybe the Vegan Welsh 3000s in June.

Tempted by the Meadows Marathon, just because it would be silly to run 18 laps around the park…
    Plus plenty of hill races around Scotland, and maybe have a go at a few more ultras.

ajf
    Free Member

Got more vague ideas than firm goals but finishing the year with some of the local Peco xc races and Auld Lang Syne Fell Race NYE.

Next year:

The Fellsman – Keeps me running over Winter
    Bob Graham and/or another long round? Deciding when drunk with maps over Christmas
    Saunders – depending on the above?

Will decide on the second half of the year nearer the time. I will probably be broken and injured by then.

Quite like to do the Runfurther Ultra race series and the Lakeland Classics series but thinking with a Bob Graham and the wife and kids liking my company on weekends occasionally it may be an issue with time away. I will see what happens.

Spent last year doing too many score and nav events and want to get more actual racing done.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Good thread.

I’m doing the South Downs Trail Run Marathon.. first time for me entering a marathon and an organised event, and certainly an off road one. I have a long term goal to run the SDW and if I can test myself on this course that will go someway to assess my ability to both suffer and recover and pace.

SDW Trail Run Event June 18

So far I’ve upped both pace and length, regularly running QECP Red and Blue in under an hour and my own loops of 20k+ and finding some of the steeper bits less stressful. Last years loop is on Strava and I’ve been using that as a segment test so far. I’m still blowing up on sustained long inclines (10%+, 500mtrs at pace) and dropping pace is leading to me over breath.
    I’ve been running with a local’ish guy called Karibu (he runs local Salomon trail running fellowship) and he’s helped no end with my sections and pacing.. I’ve still got a lot to learn about how and where I can push but it’s coming along nicely.

Be nice to keep this thread “running” assess others abilities and attitudes towards running in general, keen to hear experiences..

chrisa87
    Free Member

Durham Biker – haven’t done the Graffman before, it’s going to be my second middle distance after doing the Outlaw 1/2 almost a year to the day before. Should be good fun. I’m already looking forward to it.

Spin
    Free Member

I’m planning a good long season of hill racing.

I’d like better times / places at Jura,the 3 Peaks and the Glen Coe Skyline.

I’m also going to enter the Tromso Skyrace in Norway, my first race abroad.

Spin
    Free Member

Mountain marathons. GF and me did the OMM together last month and enjoyed it, so next year it’ll be the Saunders in the Lakes, maybe the OMM again on Dartmoor and hopefully the LAMM if it actually happens again.

I did the LAMM this year and thought it was brilliant. Much nicer terrain that the OMM often goes for. More proper big hills and less bog / tussock.

karnali
    Free Member

New hip just after Christmas so aiming for the Buttermere 5 or 10k swim in September, maybe a short end of season tri depending on how things are recovering and lots of gentle bike rides for recovery and fun

thecaptain
    Free Member

mancs marathon again for me, a few races over the winter as preparation. Including the ribble valley 10k which is supposed to be good (north of england champs).

elliptic
    Free Member

I did the LAMM this year and thought it was brilliant.

I’m actually quite jealous, wish we’d been there. What a fantastic area to hold it in.

Know what you mean about the OMM, this year was based in Langdale though so proper hills and also very familiar turf for me. I’d forgotten how much fun it is running random MM lines all over the place!

Spin
    Free Member

Know what you mean about the OMM, this year was based in Langdale

I didn’t make it for a variety of reasons. We didn’t want to enter until we knew where it was as we did it in 2015 and couldn’t face another weekend of knee high heather bashing. When we heard it was Langdale it was already sold out!

Likewise, I love the way they take you to bits of hill you’d never normally be on.

ml
    Free Member

@CraigW – see you in April for the Fling. First time for me, looking forward to it. Coerced into it by a friend at work, who said it was the best race ever. We shall see…

@ajf – some nice routes in there. Respect if you make a BGR!

I’ve got the Foxtrail Nocturnal Ultra this Saturday (6 hours of 5k loops around a forest, from 4pm, in Scotland), then the Fling in April. Always looking for recommendation of other fun races in Scotland/northern England, that aren’t already full for next year. Watching this thread with interest. 🙂

ajf
    Free Member

@ml Cheers, we will see by Feb, March and see where I am, then start having a few weekends away. Wife seems okay with it, at the moment, but that could change at any time.

Spine in January. Not sure after that. Few big events recently and the body feels like it needs a bit a break from running.

@marcus you will feel like a break from running after that! 😯

Alex

Gloucester Half. 21st Jan. First ever race
    Maybe Forest Half after that
    Definitely not the Manchester marathon with Nickc, However many times he tells me it wouldn’t ‘be that hard’ 🙂

olddonald

Leeds ITU Olympic again – closed road was great
    Edinburgh 70.3
    And robin hood dualthlon off road – really enjoyed it this year (4 weeks ago) – good fun in the mud

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘STW Running/Duathlon/Triathlon intentions’ is closed to new replies.