Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • STW rock jam
  • guitarhero
    Free Member

For those about to rock, etc 🙂

With slight trepidation that it's too soon. I'm suggesting another jam, as I enjoyed the last one so much. Hope the same peple will contribute again.

Don't be scared by the ROCK bit, blues stuff will sound great over it.

Backing track is HERE

The first 8 bars is an intro then key changes to B major and you're off.

Solo for 8 bars over the B major/E section (G# minor pentatonic sounds great)
    It then changes back to A major/D for another 8 bars, keep soloing (F# minor pentatonic will rock).

That's it 16 bars for everyone. The backing goes round twice so you can have a couple of goes and I'll pick the best.

You can either then post your guitar part in isolation and one with the backing track, or a stereo track with the backing panned hard right and your part hard left, or copy the square wave at the start of the backing to your track at the same point and I'll sync from that.

Rock on!

grievoustim
    Free Member

nice – I'm up for doing this again

will be the weekend before I have the time though I think

guitarhero
    Free Member

oops wrong forum, sorry

stratobiker
    Free Member

Whoa!!! I'm worn out just listening to the backin' track!!!
    Stompin' good stuff!

Rock on indeed!!!

I'll give it a go.

When's the deadline….
    Let's ask Chipps when he can do it by. He missed out last time….and muddy bum on sax, and plum on nylon acoustic! 😉

SB

stratobiker
    Free Member

Bimey guv' where's all the rockers then? 😯

SB

guitarhero
    Free Member

Feared it might be too soon, or too ROCK.
    Where's hummerlicious? I thought this would be right up his street.
    For anyone who thinks it's not up their street, I implore you to give it a go.

cinnamon_girl

Looking forward to hearing more from you guys 8)

jond
    Free Member

>Bimey guv' where's all the rockers then?

Yoohoo 🙂

Just got back from seeing Rammstein, in fact..probably won't get time 'til the w/e, got another gig tonight – Lacuna Coil

guitarhero
    Free Member

That's four of us. Not too shabby, another couple of takers would be awesome though 🙂

jond
    Free Member

I'm sure there'll be some more, a bit of judicious bumping of the thread might be needed so people spot it 😉

DavidB
    Free Member

I'll have a bash

cinnamon_girl

Any chance of having some sax included please?

DavidB
    Free Member

I had to read that twice cinnamon_girl..eyes aren't what they were.

cinnamon_girl

😯

I did double-check my spelling 😆

stratobiker
    Free Member

@jond – I'm sorry…. I never heard of Rammstein!
    I'll go google them now. 😳

Were they good?

SB

jond
    Free Member

@stratobiker

Oh, indeedy ! – have a search for 'em on another thread (rocketdog's ?), there's some piccies.
    I'm not much of a fan of industrial (eg NIN) – until recently I hadn't heard much of 'em but I guess then just 'got' them. They're kinda industrial metal/dance metal (whatever that means – I think the latter's their term).
    Think metal with tunes (as the quote goes) 'to invade Poland to' 😉
    Kinda big, f-off sound – I'm sure the sound of German lends itself far better than other languages.
    Great stageshow…kinda interesting that a German-speaking band sells out (I think) Wembley…admittedly a lot of people go for the stage show, but a lot of people knew the lyrics too.

<edit>
    Linky:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/just-back-from-rammstein-gig

jond
    Free Member

>Any chance of having some sax included please?

It'll only be 30-odd seconds, regardless of spelling 😉

*ducks*

stratobiker
    Free Member

@jond – many thamks for the link. I also searched for them on youtube. 😯

Impressive stuff. Is it OK to not like them? Impressive as it is, "Arena Spectacular stage show stuff" isn't really my cup of tea. I'd much rather see a pub band, in a pub. Might be my age! :mrgreen:

jond
    Free Member

>Is it OK to not like them?
    Of course 🙂

>Might be my age!
    Lightweight 😉 …if it's any consolation, I'm 47 this year and my OH is 48 next week 😮

Oh, I hate bloody arenas, but annoyingly many bands will do somewhere like Wembley or (even worse) the 02, whereas they would have sold out somewhere like Hammersmith Apollo for several dates otherwise..I guess it's about time/effort/profitability, s'pose you can't blame 'em. For example, I've seen Dream Theater a couple of times at Hammersmith (one a tour a two-nighter) – sound was great -and I've been the front (seated !) few rows in fact – but the last few tours have been at Wembley. Grr…
    (Last time Rammstein were here – didn't see 'em – they were in Brixton, which isn't a bad venue **if** the sound engineers don't bugger it up…)

Apologies GH for a thread diversion…at least it's getting a bump 😉

guitarhero
    Free Member

Recorded my part tonight, how are folks getting on? Backing seems to favour the more 'written' type of solo rather than improvised. Sounding not bad though.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I'm half way through – agree , wasn't really working if I just tried to wing it (i thing because the chords seems to demand that you be careful where your resolve a phrase)

recorded a section over the "B" bit, will try "A" tonight I think

DavidB
    Free Member

I'm not going to have time till next weekend

grievoustim
    Free Member

ok – I'm done

only managed one go through the sequence though

here it is with the backing
    and here just guitar

stratobiker
    Free Member

Right, I'm done!!!
    GH – I've sent my bit to you…..

Like you said favours a more 'written' worked out solo.
    Not just a case on busking.
    You've made us work on this one dude. Which is great!!!!

How many takers have you got?

SB

@grievoustim
    – I haven't listened to yours yet. I just wanna wait until it's all glued together! 🙂

guitarhero
    Free Member

SB, just yours and grievoustim's. Surprised there hasn't been more takers after the good response to the blues jam. Would have loved to have heard their take on something a bit different.
    I wont have time this week to mix anyway so let it run through the weekend and see what happens.
    Thanks to both for you contributions, much appreciated.

jond
    Free Member

Not sure if it's the major-ness, tempo, or a bit of both I'm having trouble with..and playing the relative minor just sounds a bit wrong (or at least the way I'm applying it). Maybe I'm just crap 😮
    That said, just winging it on maj/min pentatonics sounds better, but nothing memorable enough to repeat. I'll be giving it a bit more time this w/e..

guitarhero
    Free Member

A simpler approach is just to treat it like Bmin and Amin and play the minor pentatonics. This works well and has a dirty blues sound.

stratobiker
    Free Member

@jond – my approach was too work out some licks that I liked, mostly 2 or 4 bars long, then string them all together. I didn't use any scale in particular, just target notes. Mrs Stratobiker told me it was totally unbelievable, and that I hadn't got the guitar skills of an idiot!!! I took that as a compliment! 😆

HTH
    SB

stratobiker
    Free Member

Anyone rockin' then? How's it going?
    SB

guitarhero
    Free Member

Going to put this out of it's misery tomorrow evening as I've got a couple of gaps between lessons.
    So far only 3 submissions (including mine) Anyone else?

guitarhero
    Free Member

Final track is HERE

Running order is:

grievoustim, stratobiker, guitarhero.

back to work

earl_brutus

**** only just spotted this, too late too late will be the cry when the man with the backing track has passed you by…………

guitarhero
    Free Member

if you knock one off earl, i'll add you on 🙂

grievoustim
    Free Member

yes – well done all and thanks Guitarhero

what's next – STW jazz fusion jam? 😀

cinnamon_girl

Another "well done" to the STW guitar gods 8)

Once again, a good mix of styles and interpretation.

A polite request for some sexy sax next time 😉

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘STW rock jam’ is closed to new replies.