Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • STW recommended lighting for garage / mancave
  • a11y

Looking for recommendations for improve my mancave lighting.

Current set-up is 6 of these 2-spot units (12 LED spots in total) mounted to the rafters but the glare is horrendous and TBH they don’t provide enough light for the trickiest bike maintenance. Glare so bad I struggle to look straight ahead and always have my eyes down when in there. Not good. Garage is approx 5.5m x 3m, obscured/blanked windows and only opening access point is a single side door, so not much natural light.

I’ve considered mounting diffuser discs in front of the LED bulbs to try and spread the light but wondering if I’m chasing a lost cause and might be better replacing with something else completely. I don’t have space for LED panels as the roof design is open beams with items stored above, hence needing to keep the gaps between beams open and clear. Budget not exactly flush either..

Thoughts/recommendations welcome.

jeff

I used a couple of these mounted on battens between the beams – really good light for working

https://www.screwfix.com/p/robus-harbour-twin-5ft-led-corrosion-proof-batten-58w-6090lm-220-240v/364kj

sharkattack

I’ve got 3 square LED panels from B&Q. It’s like daylight in the garage I love it. Sometimes I sit there in the winter just for some quality illumination.

thenorthwind

I put some Pro-Elec (Farnell own brand) ones in earlier this year: https://cpc.farnell.com/c/electrical-lighting/lighting/commercial-lighting/led-batten-fittings?brand=pro-elec

They’re very lightweight and flimsy, but they’re stuck to the ceiling, so they don’t really need to be heavy duty. Otherwise really impressive and ridiculously cheap.

stumpy01

I bought two twin batten LEDs from Screwfix. My memory is a bit hazy on what exactly I ordered, but I think they are the 6ft LAP ones.

They were really easy to install & daisy chain together.
    The garage is super-bright now & much better for working in. I ran them down the centre line of the garage.
    If I’d had more money to spend I probably would have used 4 and positioned them a 1/3 of the way in from the side walls on each side, but that would have probably been over-kill. I don’t need the brightness of an operating theatre!

mahowlett
    Free Member

I really rate the led panels over battens, they give a really good and less directional light, add task lighting on top if you really need it but often I find they add more shadow than they take away.

dcwhite1984
    Free Member

Same as above i bought some 5ft LAP batons to replace spotlights in my garage, got two to cover a single garage and they are great.

Wouldnt hesitate to buy exactly the same again and i can add more if i need to as they can be daisy chained.

Flaperon

I have the V-TAC fittings. They’re brilliant if a little flimsy.

a11y

Thanks all. I think LED battens will work best for my circumstances – panels would inevitably get in the way (or, more likely, get damaged) when hauling stuff down from above the rafters.

I put some Pro-Elec (Farnell own brand) ones in earlier this year: https://cpc.farnell.com/c/electrical-lighting/lighting/commercial-lighting/led-batten-fittings?brand=pro-elec

They’re very lightweight and flimsy, but they’re stuck to the ceiling, so they don’t really need to be heavy duty. Otherwise really impressive and ridiculously cheap.

@thenorthwind
    , do those have diffusers? (or, do you find they’re good or bad for glare, or indifferent?). They’re REALLY cheap even compared to the Amazon ones posted above. I used LAP (or similar from Screwfix) undercounter in my kitchen which are great but weren’t the cheapest. I could go utterly wild in the garage with those CPC ones at that price.

I’m thinking multiple smaller units rather than only a couple of big ones: more light sources from different directions to minimise shadows. Currently have 12 x 4w/230lm spots, so using 6 x 8w/800lm ones in the same locations as my current lights would be a big increase in output and hopefully less glare.

5lab

led batterns but also chained off a (defeatable) motion sensor so when you come in all muddy you don’t have to fumble around for the switch

thenorthwind

The plastic is frosted or slightly opaque, which diffuses the light well. I hadn’t really thought about it, but I’ve certainly never thought glare was a problem.

a11y

The plastic is frosted or slightly opaque, which diffuses the light well. I hadn’t really thought about it, but I’ve certainly never thought glare was a problem.

Thanks. Don’t want to go through another purchase/solution and still have the glare.

led batterns but also chained off a (defeatable) motion sensor so when you come in all muddy you don’t have to fumble around for the switch

Already had a similar thought: repurposing one of the current 2x4w spot units with a motion sensor as a separate lighting system. Then I wouldn’t need to unleash ALLTHELUMENS of the main lights if I’m simply popping in/out with the bike. Or risk leaving the light on when I go for a ride…

stevextc
    Free Member

I got a 24W daylight LED panel off amazon, its in the kids room and freakin awesome – totally flat https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VQLJXCQ/
    Lots of similar ones around £30

In my room I’ve got a 15W but its dimmable/colour temp adjustable and has a remote… (also about £30)
    “Dimmable Ceiling Light 15W 11.8 Inch LED Ceiling Lights 110W Equivalent, Waterproof IP44 Modern Indoor Flush Mount Ceiling Lamp, for Bathroom, Bedroom, Kitchen, Hallway, Office, Dining Room”

Its plenty bright and nice to have the preset dim settings as well.
    If you cycle it (using light switch) it defaults to bright white though

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.