Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 218 total)
  • STW Purbecks Ride 25th April
  • woodsman
    Free Member

Got it! Cheers Dez for reading the thread properly!

May see you Sunday, it’s my ride down here in Horsham with the B’mtb

PS: Don’t expect it to be THAT dry! 😉

sharki
    Free Member

Erm would love to come…………slight problem though 🙁

aleigh
    Free Member

Excuses excuses……… 😉 you might be fine by then anyway – I’m ever the optimist 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rOcKeTdOg

i’ve just tenuously booked accomodation for the weekend, so fingers crossed

sharki
    Free Member

Hmmmm, i predict that around that time, i’ll be due my 5th xray to see if the bones hae attempted to fuse back together…..then will be awaiting the appointment for surgery..

singletrackmind

PLus 1 here.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Rusty trowel, if you email me then I can send you the route info as a word doc, as I’m not entirely sure what the last 3 bits you mention refer to. 9 Barrow is skirted round on the way out, then ridden down on the way back after climbing up Brenscombe.

Joblesssmonkeyboy, I’m going to send you the route info to see what you think.

aleigh
    Free Member

I reckon you’ll be fixed by then Sharki 🙂

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Rich,I’ve sent you an e-mail for the route.

Cheers, Rusty

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

As terrifying as it will be to leave the comfort of the Westcountry, I’d be quite keen for an adventure on the South coast. Those big white cliffs and flat sea are gonna freak me out a bit though.

Did anyone actually decide on a date?

Oh, and I’m only coming if Soma-Rich puts some sensible tyres on.

DezB
    Free Member

singletrackmind – Member

PLus 1 here

Your email busted?

Ashley
    Free Member

Rich,

I’ve also sent you an e-mail with some ideas – however I’ve just seen it was quite a large file so let me know if you didn’t get it. I can also send the .GPX files if you wish. (Or put them on Bikely.com so you can see easily).

Ash

RichPenny
    Free Member

Cheers for all of the emails, this is coming together nicely….

Sharki, with the energy you seemed to have last weekend I’d not be surprised if you were mended. You have a month…

Sponging-machine, date is 25/04, meet at 9 to be riding for 10am. That gives me an hour for faffing! Sadly I think we had about that last weekend and still managed to be the last ones ready 😳

DrP

Count me in fo’ shizzle….

Where we meeting again?!

DrP

mboy
    Free Member

Sponging-machine, date is 25/04, meet at 9 to be riding for 10am. That gives me an hour for faffing! Sadly I think we had about that last weekend and still managed to be the last ones ready [:oops:]

Don’t tell me you STILL haven’t got round to replacing your BB bearings that were shot to pieces? 😉

DezB
    Free Member

DrP – this might mean more to you than it does me – .. start will be from the big car park at the end of Poole harbour, just before the Sandbanks Ferry.

Let’s hope there’s no snow eh? 🙂

DrP

Kool for skool…..

Anyone getting the train down and wants to meet at Poole station??????

DrPeeeeee

RichPenny
    Free Member

mboy, BB replaced 🙂

Rear hub bearings fecked 🙁 Going to sort that out tomorrow though. Faffing at the quantocks was just standing around chatting and looking at bikes tho.

We’ve got a month to sort out the details, just waiting for a few more things to sort themselves out and I’ll put together an e-mail for the list.

knottie8
    Free Member

this all sounds good so I’ll say I’ll keep that date free .

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Rode big chunks of the route yesterday and it is in fine condition, unlike myself who felt like crap and nearly ralfed up. All we need to do now is book the same weather for next month.

For non locals, the ferry is only £1.60 return, and the last one home is 11ish (in case anyone ends up ‘stuck’ in the pub.)

aleigh
    Free Member

the last one home is 11ish (in case anyone ends up ‘stuck’ in the pub.)

that’ll be me then!

Andy

Yeah – i think corfe castle campsite appeals! Any other campsites in the area that people could recommend?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Well done rustytrowel, I’ll be pre-riding the route the weekend before just to make sure it’s all ok.

rOcKeTdOg

is this the hotel carpark by the ferry start? isn’t that rather small? or do you mean the big carpark and harbour side parking by sandbanks beach+prom?

RichPenny
    Free Member

The big one, parking at the hotel might be considered cheeky!

rOcKeTdOg

ah, that makes sense 🙂

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

If you stay Corfe side, you can park in the National Trust car park near shell bay restaurant (where i had my wedding do, by the way) on the other end of the ferry. If you want to meet everyone pre-ride, get the ferry over and its 5 mins ride past the posh houses.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Dunno if Rockley Park caravan park is open yet, should be after easter. Its in Upton, 10/15 mins drive from sandbanks and could be reasonable value.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Rode / crashed on some of the route last night.

It is all nice and dry at the moment, if anything a bit too sandy. Got two punctures last night from thorns, so don’t forget some spare tubes.

vd – went up Franks Tank, and it didn’t seem that mental, although obviously not as good as going down. It was certainly the easiest climb we did last night.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Oh, and I’m only coming if Soma-Rich puts some sensible tyres on.

High rollers on 29ers will be on for this ride 🙂 Plus at least 2 spare tube a number of CO2 cannisters maybe a track pump too. hmmmm

Wonder if I could strap a spare wheel to my camelback…..

vd

Rusty – you are either going round the side or are far better at manualling up rock steps than I’m ever likely to be. Waste of a good descent whichever way you do it!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Not that good, uphill cant unclip crash action. Theres nothing like rolling around in a gorse bush in the dark with a bike on top of you.

aleigh
    Free Member

Wonder if I could strap a spare wheel to my camelback…..

I’ll carry one for you Rich 😆

cinnamon_girl

Am thinking of staying the Saturday night for more Dorsetshire riding on the Sunday. Does anyone know of any decent B & B accommodation that will meet CG’s exacting standards?

What would be the most convenient area to stay in? I am happy to forgo my usual Saturday nite clubbing 😉

rOcKeTdOg

poole area has lots of B&B’s and is very close

cinnamon_girl

Thanks rOcKeTdOg but am too damn picky sometimes! Needs to have en-suite, hairdryer, kettle and shortbread biscuits 😀

Oh, and bike needs its own room too 😉

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

No need to forgo the Saturday night clubbing, Bournemouth’s next door. Not that i ever go, its full of all those young people.

snafu
    Free Member

Sorry to interrupt guys. My club, Dorset Rough Riders (www.dorsetroughriders.co.uk)have a ride on in the Purbecks on 25th but it meets at the ferry at 09.30 & will be all day, but if we see you over there we can give you some pointers.
    If I was planning such a ride I’d go, Studland, up Old Harry, Ballard Down,downhill at the Obelisk, left on Swanage road, turn off at Ulwel, right on main road,left up Priets Way, Worth Matravers (Square & Compass)right on road then left to Kingstone, up to Squire head, down to the road overlooking Kimmeridge, then left right & left at the end to the road hill to Creech turning right onto the steep track, at the top right on past creech arch, follow the ridge crossing 1 road, drop down into Corfe (look out for 3 gates & walkers)Dragons Bakery or Pub, out of Corfe downhill then right under 1st railway bridge then off road up to the aerial mast, 9 Barrow Down, Godlingstone Hill,left & left again, right at the top of the hill, past the golf course, left though the gate, past the 1st tee then left & follow that down to Frank’s Tank, right & down to the steam at the bottom, over that on to a gate, right then on to the ferry road.
    There are bits you could add or cut off but because the views are so good from the tops of the hills if you know where Corfe & Swanage are it would be hard to get lost.

You can call me on 07592 358177
    Have fun

RichPenny
    Free Member

OK, quick update:

I’ve not had any interest in leading an epic ride, so it’s looking like 30 miles with a few options for the relaxed group, and 40 miles with a couple of extra ridge climbs for the faster groups. I’ll be finalising the routes this weekend and will then e-mail that info to everyone who’s given me their address. Does anyone know if you can export a route from Tracklogs as a JPEG? That would be better than doing a load more screen grabs!

Also, who was it who recommended cutting the corner a bit at Old Harry and doing the singletrack in the woods there? Will be interested in more info on this, but will try to find it on the 18th.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

The singletrack in the woods at Old Harry is easy enough to find. Only takes a couple of minutes to go through, but its a giggle. Not sure if you’re officially ‘allowed’ to ride it.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 218 total)

The topic ‘STW Purbecks Ride 25th April’ is closed to new replies.