Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • *STW POLL* apples/ tomatoes fridge temperature or room temperature??*POLL*
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

How do you like yours ?

Tomatoes definitely taste better at room temperature, apples depending on variety can taste awful cold with absolutely no flavour.
    (Of course you can add fruits and vegetables to the list)
    Simply answer your reasons behind your preferences.

Happy polling !

perchypanther
    Free Member

Simply set your fridge temperature to be the same as room temperature.

Problem solved.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

In heatwave hot weather, fridge cold for both can be so refreshing. Usually we keep toms in the fridge and apples not.

sirromj

Neither, obviously. Lada temperature.

dmorts

Is that a car joke I’m unaware of?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Jazz apples should be eaten cold. Seem to taste sweeter that way.

finbar
    Free Member

Tomatoes taste of nothing from the fridge. I’d only put them in there if I had loads that would otherwise go off before I could eat them.

Some weirdos put eggs and bananas in fridges :-0

DezB
    Free Member

Tomatoes taste of nothing from the fridge

You buying the wrong tomatoes!

Bunnyhop

Didn’t we have this thread a few months ago?

Tomatoes out of fridge,
    cucumbers ” ” ”
    eggs out of fridge.

Apples in fridge for storage. Taken out and up to room temperature for eating.
    plums, nectarines and peaches all stay in the fruit bowl.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I keep them both in the fridge but take tom’s out an hour or so before use so they lose the chill and exhibit some flavour. Have to put a little salt on them too. Lovely.

Granny Smith (apples, not the old dear), straight from the fridge to enjoy cold, juicy and sour.

finbar
    Free Member

You buying the wrong tomatoes!

Well, yeah, but even ones I’ve grown myself taste (and smell) infinitely nicer when they’ve been at room temperature for a couple of days. I don’t think taking them out a couple of hours before eating has quite the same effect.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Simply set your fridge temperature to be the same as room temperature.

Easier still, switch fridge off at mains.

spawnofyorkshire

Apples out of the fridge
    Toms in the fridge until i need them and then try and get them up to room temp first
    Eggs in the fridge, they last much longer that way and i dont eat them very often

Bananas in the fridge is very heretical. Usually mine are on the windowsill with whatever apples, toms, avocados haven’t ripened yet

joshvegas
    Free Member

My aunt and uncle insisted they needed a walk in fridge for their wee kitchen in their “conversion” of an old stable house so thus massive fridge was built in.

No room left for any other foid storage, none at all.

All food was fridge cold.

Cold crisps are weird.

andywill

Both are fine stored at room temperature

IHN

Eggs, apples (indeed all fruit), tomatoes all kept out of the fridge.

There is some science behind ‘don’t store tomatoes in the fridge’, lycopene or somethingorother. They should deffo be kept out, and they last ages out of the fridge anyway, easily a week. And eggs last aaaaages out of the fridge, multiple weeks.

perchypanther
    Free Member

What about tomato ketchup?

In the cupboard next to the teabags?….You’re working class.
    In the fridge as per the instructions on the bottle?….You’re middle class.
    No idea where Cook keeps the chutneys and preserves?….You are CaptainFlashheart.
    In the 17th century ice house that you discovered in some undergrowth on your estate?… You are mcmoonter

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Normally room or slightly chilled. Never refrigerated. Unless are supermarket tomatoes in which case taste is not there to be affected much if at all so choose choose your taste for temp rather than temp for taste 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

Some weirdos put eggs in the fridge

They should be kept in a fridge – they should be stored <20deg and it’s going to be warmer than that in most homes. The only reason they aren’t sold in supermarkets in fridges is that supermarkets are usually around 18deg so it is fine to keep them on shelves.

binners

Tomatoes definitely shouldn’t be in the fridge.

Putting eggs in the fridge is just weird.

Apples definitely should be in the fridge, but only after being ‘processed’…

stever
    Free Member

You know some nut jobs keep bread the fridge right?

Oblongbob

Both in fridge but let’s toms warm up before eating ideally. Apples keep for much longer and stay crisp in fridge. Bread in fridge is daft. Chocolate in the fridge is a disgrace.

redmex
    Free Member

Chocolate fridge definitely sometimes freezer although a mars bar out the freezer as good as it is can be an expensive trip to the dentist

PiknMix
    Free Member

Cold crisps are weird.

A place I used to work at had chilled vending machines for filled cobs, they also had crisps in a section and I learnt to love chilled Walkers cheese and onion.

Still do it on occasion.

Tomatoes out of the fridge, apples out of the fridge, eggs out of the fridge, fresh veg (courgettes, peppers, carrots, celery, aubergines, fennel) in the fridge. Cabbage out of the fridge until it’s cut, then it goes in the fridge.

Ketchup out of the fridge, mayo in the fridge, salad cream out of the fridge.

Knees bent
    Arms stretched
    Ra-ra-ra

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘*STW POLL* apples/ tomatoes fridge temperature or room temperature??*POLL*’ is closed to new replies.