Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • STW Opinions sought
  • TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I am a bit sick of things at the moment. I am currently being told I can’t walk my dog through the fields I have walked for a few years because a developer without even planning permission tells me so. I am pretty disgusted with GB with all the Brexit shenanigans. Well last night was another low.

I live with my little family on a modern housing estate. The estate is quite lucky in that it has plenty of grass areas, trees and surrounding fields. It’s also in the last few years gained a £500k outdoor cycle track, a full 3G football facility and the school has been fully refitted. It’s generally a nice place to be. There’s the odd youngster smashing bottles or a lad on a moped on the paths but nothing too bad.

So for about 1km of the path network these ‘stations’ have been appearing. We didn’t have any idea what they were but it’s now become clear they are going to be a fitness circuit of outdoor equipment. Tbh I don’t have any issues with it. I can’t see it being used as it’s target market is adults and I don’t see them cracking the Lycra and headband out to crush a set of pull ups.

What I do have an issue with is that most of the houses this circuit is in front of are bungalows with older retired people in who are pretty angry that they got zero input into their location. It’s obviously well down the line now but how can they do this when it I literally 10ft from some of these people’s bedroom windows. They were all at a community meeting last night and even with 10x the normal presence the feedback was basically they leafletted the houses, got feedback and this is what’s happened. An outright lie.

As I said, I don’t object to the equipment and it doesn’t even effect me. But there was a lot of upset people who were being sneered at last night because their rights and opinions were deemed unimportant.

Anyone got any suggestions

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Presumably it was all agreed at the planning stage?

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

That’s just it. They claimed last night that they had

1) sent fliers home with all the local kids who attended the youth centre. CONSIDER THIS EQUIPMENT CANNOT BE USED BY U13’s

2) they did questionnaires on Facebook

3) they claim to have leaflet dropped the estate. 100people attended last nights meeting they all said they didn’t receive a leaflet. The organiser countered this with “Are you calling me a liar”

Some of the people effected haven’t even got a computer and wouldn’t know how to use Facebook.

The question was asked about how they got the funding and could we get a copy of the application. This was denied as it had personal information. We think they have lied on it but there was zero comeback.

buenfoxa
    Free Member

I am currently being told I can’t walk my dog through the fields I have walked for a few years because a developer without even planning permission tells me so

Probably because he owns the land and you are trespassing.

As I said, I don’t object to the equipment and it doesn’t even effect me. But there was a lot of upset people who were being sneered at last night because their rights and opinions were deemed unimportant.

Just sounds like a classic case of NIMBY.

lunge

Classic NIMBY stuff isn’t it? Free to use fitness equipment on public space is a great idea if it’s near someone else’s house.

For what it’s worth, there are some near me and the older folk use them a lot.

matt_outandabout

Field – assuming not Scotland, that’s private property.
    Placing of play equipment – firstly those things are crap. Secondly it sounds like developer jumping through hoops and keeping public at bay to ensure thier planning gets through. But it’s also NIMBY going on.

kilo

literally 10ft from some of these people’s bedroom windows.

I have a road and a pavement literally 10ft from my bedroom #wevalueyourprivacy

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

The field I walked the dog in was just an example of being pissed off at being told a field which has been and still is for the foreseeable closed off. I didn’t really need opinions on that one. Sorry for the inclusion.

The NIMBY is incorrect. Personally I stated at the meeting I would have thought the green area closer to my own home was much more suitable as it already has a history of kids playing football etc there. The feedback I witnessed was retired people who have no issues with facilities being built in the area where a lot of development has taken place. They do have an issue with someone doing pull ups with a full view into their living room or bedroom.

jam-bo

They do have an issue with someone doing pull ups with a full view into their living room or bedroom.

what about star jumps or burpees?

trailwagger
    Free Member

So someone is making improvements to the area, providing fitness equipment in an effort to help the local population stay fit and healthy, presumably all for free.

And people are complaining and whining about it? jeez.

jam-bo

and if its anything like the ‘fitness’ equipment in my local park, no-one will use them anyway.

buenfoxa
    Free Member

They do have an issue with someone doing pull ups with a full view into their living room or bedroom.

And under planning law they have no right to a ‘view’ unless development creates significant amenity issues. Like someone said earlier a road footpath is in front of most people’s homes as it is.

Just think there are people are going to food banks and these people are concerned about some free fitness equipment being placed near their homes. No wonder the country is on its arse with people like this around.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Jam bo I draw the line at squat thrusts.

Trail wager I have similar opinions. But these people had a right to be consulted. Personally I like it but find it disgusting these people have had it forced on them

Kryton57

As I said, I don’t object to the equipment and it doesn’t even effect me.

Why get so wound up then?   Its not your issue, calm down and enjoy life a bit*

*Yes I recognise the slight hypocrisy

DezB
    Free Member

Use of the word NIMBY = “Please slap me round the face”

avdave2

Classic NIMBY stuff isn’t it?

No sounds like something being put in a place it won’t get maximum use which is bad planning. Has something of the cycle lanes to nowhere about it. Ticks boxes for the council and makes a contractor decent money.

jimdubleyou

The organiser countered this with “Are you calling me a liar”

To be countered with, “Clearly you are misinformed or a liar, take your pick”.

Marin
    Free Member

Buy a big whizzer if there that upset and cut them down. Direct action for the win.

Shackleton

Why get so wound up then?   Its not your issue, calm down and enjoy life a bit

Maybe because his sense of community and social responsibility extends further than his own skin?

Kryton57

Maybe because his sense of community and social responsibility extends further than his own skin?

Unusual these days.  Not worth your health though is it, by all means lend a hand but to sink to the extremes of lows as communicated over a bit of public exercise equipment seems out of proportion.

ian-r

Like many things at the moment its probably anger at the lack of inclusion in the process than the actual gym equipment?

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Shackleton & ian-r have it. Tbh I have half the stuff in my back garden for my daughter to train on anyhow. I am the kind of person who sets up a slack line on e green for my kids and is happy if other kids join in. I imagine my daughter will enjoy using it.

It’s the lack of respect shown in not including these people in a choice which effects them wether you think it’s a case of nimby or not.

Cougar

But there was a lot of upset people who were being sneered at last night because their rights and opinions were deemed unimportant.

As a remain voter, I can sympathise.

chewkw
    Free Member

Anyone got any suggestions

Keep voting for the same council that’s what you get as power gets to their heads for them to justify their own existence.

Have a campaign to vote against them and put them in their place.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Cougar funnily enough as a brexit voter I feel exactly the same. Amazing how the government can piss off so many people at opposite ends of the spectrum

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘STW Opinions sought’ is closed to new replies.