Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • STW Morzine… yes, again…. 2019 so getting the thread in early.
  • weeksy

Once again, we’re doing the 2 days at Morzine, although assuming the weather  (and lifts) play ball, this time we’ll be doing 2 days riding… I may have to book a Spa day or something for mrs weeksy.

Current potential plan is the 9th and 10th of August for riding. Althoguh that depends on confirmation of accomodation in Burgundy etc.

So that’s it… first part of the plan in place 🙂

As more progresses and you guys work out your plans, we’ll chat more…

Ambrose

I’m in. Mrs A has a demon to slay after her nasty off this year (broken pelvis) so I should imagine that she’s in too. Uncertain about dates, but 9/10 Aug might well work.

LittleNose
    Free Member

Hope to be going back next year too.. don’t think we’ll be doing any planning until the new year though

Stoner
    Free Member

as ever I will be there I’m sure.

Planning on spending most of the summer in the valley this year so should be flexible on dates. (although probably going to watch the TdF somewhere at the early end)

oikeith

Starting to plan my first trip to Morzine for next summer now, will be 4 of us. Looking late June or July, have started looking at the firms which do a weeks accommodation, meals and lift passes as a bundle.

Does anyone have any recommendations to check out?

Looking at the bundles as after a days riding, it sounds nice to be able to roll down the mountain into where we are staying, grab a shower and then not have to cook food!

duncancallum

I’m off Slovenia again this time….

P-Jay
    Free Member

Starting to plan my first trip to Morzine for next summer now, will be 4 of us. Looking late June or July, have started looking at the firms which do a weeks accommodation, meals and lift passes as a bundle.

Does anyone have any recommendations to check out?

Looking at the bundles as after a days riding, it sounds nice to be able to roll down the mountain into where we are staying, grab a shower and then not have to cook food!

Alpine Elements do, or did at least a packages like that, half board, guiding and I think ‘free’ bike hire – AKA free base bike hire which costs more to upgrade to a bike you’d actually like to ride in the Alps than just renting one, but still.

We stayed with them 10 years ago, the accommodation was a bit rough and ready, the food okay and the company (as is the other in the chalet) actually very good.

I don’t think they offer passes, but they’re not horribly expensive, certainly less per day then BPW.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yes, I’ll likely be there.

A few days with friends if I can pull it off and then a week with the Fam, or just the week with the fam.

dirtyboy

Yeah got a week in August planned also dragging the wife and kids along.

weeksy

Morning all you little Alps fiends….

Anyway, today we booked MORZINE ! Well, i say ‘we’, but it was just me… .but he’s going too  lol. Dates for riding are the 8th/9th/10th August 2019. We can and will be doing any of these 3 based upon whatever suits the rest of you. Currently we’re thinking about 1/2 day sessions for each of the 3. But the 8th will potentially depend on how we plan the rest of the journey down as we may not arrive until tea time on the 8th, but if people are about for riding, we’ll jiggle the plan a bit and ride at least on the PM of the 8th. 9th will be the main riding day for us and our longest day out of the 3.

Nothing crazy on the skills/tech side of things, we’d like to head up the Super Morzine this time (as it was closed) on the 9th and experience a bit over that way. When we did the PPDS we came down to a lake about 11am, lovely lake with an ice cream stall on it… Would be nice to do that and potentially meet Mrs Weeksy there for ice-cream 🙂 If not, no biggy, we’ll see her at the Rhodos at the end of the riding 🙂

So we’ve got 2-3 days of riding depending on plans/fitness/energy and then from there to Burgundy for 10 days. So we’ll hit some of the Les Gets stuff on one day and then onto some Epics on day 2 and a bit overlooking Mont Blanc. Looking forward to this already, although with things like needing tyres, lift passes etc, it’s likely to get expensive for me

weeksy

Left this one quiet for a bit… We’re in Burgundy from 10th-20th Aug and the plans have slightly changed, so i think we’ll just be doing a scoot down to Morzine for the day riding now, but that does mean we’re free for whatever day really. ideally 12th-19th will work best for us i guess. My lad is in training this year using some Zwift action 🙂

rascal
    Free Member

Me and Moz are there Aug 17-24 so will just miss this.
    Anyone out there on these dates and fancy a ride/beer shout up 🙂

weeksy

Not necessarily now …. 18th may work OK… 🙂

weeksy

As above, this is now only a 1 dayer…. But apart from the 13th, can be any time within 10-20th Aug for us… More than happy to hook up with a few STWers though for some runs 🙂

rascal
    Free Member

18th-20th we’ll have crossover – be up for a meet and a beer

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m there from the 10th to the 17th, I only get one riding day, but Happy to meet up somewhere in the middle.

Stoner
    Free Member

I should be around all August and flexible on dates.
    Which reminds me, I should update the Stoner-matic PDS Lift date spreadsheet…

weeksy

Just wondering about thoughts of weekend/not weekend and whether it plays a factor at all at somewhere like Morzine in summer ?

I’ve just pinged Stoner a message via email as it’s ace when his lad comes out too as my boy enjoys himself more then. Hoping to find some fun trails that i’ve not seen or ridden before too.

P-jay, how does 15/16/17/18 work for you then ? Any preference within that window ? We’re only doing a day pass this year so arriving breakfast time and hitting the hills. I think we’ll likely put a bit less pressure on ourselves this year and not try and make the first lift, just chill with a lazy breakfast once we arrive so heading out about 9.30-10am instead of trying to get over to the lift as 1000 others are also doing so.

Hopefully that suits others ideas too.

P-Jay
    Free Member

P-jay, how does 15/16/17/18 work for you then ? Any preference within that window ?

Works well, I’ll aim for 15th.

Just wondering about thoughts of weekend/not weekend and whether it plays a factor at all at somewhere like Morzine in summer ?

Doesn’t seem to be much of a factor when I’ve been there, although Most Chalets seem to do a Sat chnage day so could be quieter, and I think most of the Seasonaires get Tues off so might be busier.

weeksy

OK, lets have the 15th as the chosen day then. I can work with that. I’m sure Stoner will be along but for how long will depend on childcare for him.

I’d ideally like to find some nice sweeping BPW type blues without gap jumps but with rollers and table-tops for the boy. He really enjoyed the red back down to Les Gets town, the swoopy down the side of hill one. But it also had potential for disaster as 1 side is gaps, 1 side is tables…. lol.

So any ideas on what/where, please feel free to chime in, even if not coming for this particular day out 🙂 All ideas welcome.

P-Jay
    Free Member

The Bike Park at the top of Super Morzine is awesome, it’s all wheels down stuff if you want. Les Get Bike Park is nice too.

TBH I tend to ride a big figure of 8, XC from Morzine to Les Gets, few runs on the LG1 side, play in the bike park for a bit, XC back to Morzine (getting a bit lost en route) up super morzine, few runs on the park, xc to Avoriaz, somehow manage not to find the route to Chatel, down one of the massive long ones back to Morzine.

Well, like that, with less getting lost ideally.

weeksy

Sounds perfect. 🙂

We start at the bottom of Super Morzine about 9.45 then ?

Stoner
    Free Member

Will pencil in 15th Weeksy

Swoopy flowy for Jr: panoramic gre en from chaux fleurie to pre la joux would be perfect. More like a UK blue. 3m40s for start of descent

weeksy

Looks ace 🙂

hopefiendboy

Just to say I’ll be in les gets for the middle two weeks of July so happy to meet up with others if they are in the area! Will have enduro bike and dh bike for use hopefully!

Ambrose

I’d love to come and play and ma yet do so but for the first time in years it is all a bit questionable. The broken pelvis was far worse than initially detected so J still cannot ride but is walking OK at last. All being well though I’m hoping to join you’s alls…

Stoner
    Free Member

Would be grand to see you. I do hope your wife will continues to improve. Such a shocking accident.

weeksy

Would be ace to see you mate. Send all the best wishes to the wife please.

We’re debating whether to stay in Montriond the day before/after. Mrs Weeksy prefers the idea of staying the night before, i was thinking of the night after, but really, either works well enough.

weeksy

We never found anything viable for accomodation at a sensible price, so we’re just doing it as a day-trip now. Getting over for earlyish and grabbing some breakfast, then heading up the Super Morzine hopefully to find some fun, trails, cake, beer and relaxation.

15th still working well for us…. Can’t wait. My lad may end up being a jump psycho by then !

P-Jay
    Free Member

Just booking a bike for the 15th (I can’t take mine 🙁 )

Looking forward to it. I’m going to rent some mega travel DH monster just ‘because’ but I’m a bit of a mincer really.

weeksy

Where you getting it from P-jay ? I think i’ll take my T-130 anyway. But was considering something bigger for a possible trip next year both for me and my lad.

We all still meeting at the bottom of the Super Morzine ?

P-Jay
    Free Member

MTB Rental Morzine €89 for a 2018 Gambler 720, I don’t know why I picked that exactly. I’ve sent them my weight and asked for UK brake set-up, but it’s always a bit ‘fingers crossed’ with that.

There’s a decent choice of Enduro style bikes in Morzine, but I don’t think any will light my fire as much as my beloved Bird 145LT so I went with a DH bike, I haven’t owned/ridden a big bike since 2011 I think.

Yeah 09:45 at the bottom of S’Morzine.

weeksy

Due to my lad being there too i can’t see me going massive, so my T-130 will be match enough for his Liv Embolden. Well, i say that now, he/we have Jedi in a weeks time so i’m figuring i’ll be getting left behind by him after that. His fear already doesn’t exist, let alone after some training !

Ambrose

Woo hoo, we’ve just booked a place in Les Gets from 8- 18th August. Who’s up for a ride?

matt_outandabout

Look out for a pair of Scottish teens/young adults, one on green Kona (last I saw) and one on grey/red Radon, likely at warp speed 9 and sessioning big jumps. That’s my lad and pal there, 6th-22nd…

weeksy

Woo hoo, we’ve just booked a place in Les Gets from 8- 18th August. Who’s up for a ride?

15th 😉 be there or be a Hawaiian shirt 🙂

Ambrose

You know me so well 👕

weeksy

Nearly time now 🙂

bikes checked over, spares put into spares box ready for loading into the car… almost time to play 🙂
    Sorted out our insurance for the MTBing aspect of the trip last night, along with breakdown cover for the car.

Hopefully we’ll have time for coffee and chatting too… I think my lad will do FF helmet, i’m likely to stick with XC… I’m mostly expecting to be quite terrified though after seeing him at Jedi

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gMQBsQ]2019-08-01_07-41-45[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Stoner, you’re in charge of route planning and tickets for the lift ? lol 🙂

rone

Off to the ‘zine today. Had a few hot days in Chatel & (Provence/Ardeche) . We do mostly xc, riding everything up and down so tend to not do the hefty stuff as with my partner.

Any xc recommendations for Morzine? We ski there a lot but not biked there for a few years

Weather is dropping off today and tomorrow.

Stoner
    Free Member

for an easy waymarked XC trail, follow the Tour de Plateau de Loex (Black means long with climbing rather than gnarly)

its route 25 marked on (perversely) the e-MTB map, which also shows other more XC routes as they involve more climbing than the DH routes
    http://www.portesdusoleil.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Carte-generale.pdf

also shown as route F on this map
    https://en.lesgets.com/lesgets/docs/vtt/PLAN_VTT_2019_LES_GETS.pdf

Weeksy – not sure about route planning this year until we see who turns up and what they want to do. Also I’m on my own that week so can only leave the boys for a few hours. If you want me to sort out a pass (for you & the boy) I can pop down and buy them the day before. PM me.

Having said all that, Id better go dig the bike out. Ive been mainly mountain walking so far this summer. Good cardio though! And riding the Inbred shopping bike around the river with the boys.

See some of you in a week or so.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘STW Morzine… yes, again…. 2019 so getting the thread in early.’ is closed to new replies.