Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • STW Modellers – where can I get this?
  • Ladders
    Free Member

Hi! Know there are a few model makers and people good at making stuff on here!

I’ve been trying to find something to replace some parts on a model plane I’ve been trying to re-build and not having much luck finding the parts.

What I’m after is some plastic rod, about 4-5mm in diameter,about 60mm long and ideally with a 1mm hole running through it?

I need something to hold and space out the servo tray in the model, which originally had 4 plastic struts that screwed to the tray one end, and then to the base of the fuselage on the other? If not plastic then something in aliminium would do,

Any idea where I could find this, or what I could use instead? Cheers!

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Have a look on Ebay, and don’t forget some tubing (plastic/aluminium/brass) is sold in sizes that fit inside each other, so you could make the tube you want from multiple tubes.

CaptainSlow

Most model shops will have this in stock. Visit your local knee or phone some of the online ones.

Why plastic and not balsa/ply? You’ve got my curious it’s up, care to post pics n share? 🙂

Edit I mostly use 5mm ply for holding and structural reinforcement.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BenjiM

Evergreen Plastics are what you’re after.That’s what I use for filling and conversions etc.

Evergreen on Ebay

boblo
    Free Member

Why don’t you make something out of lite ply/ply? ‘Tis piss easy. You could even replace the servo tray with a lite ply version so it all sticks together and is repairable…

Ladders
    Free Member

Ok, this should explain what I want to do in this diagram from the manual.

I want to replace the green bits!

project
    Free Member

Hobbies magazine from wh smiths , mail order and lots of great stuff and so cheap.

tragically1969
    Free Member

PCB Spacers

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/?searchTerm=pcb+spacer&sra=oss&r=t

CPC or Maplin will be cheaper than RS though

nickjb
    Free Member

A bit of m3 studding and some nuts and washers will do it. Nylon will probably be good enough but steel or brass won’t be much heavier.

If you really want to do it as the diagram then just buy some rod, cut it to length and drill the ends. You won’t get it dead central without a lathe but you should be able to get it close enough. ebay is good for short lengths of stuff, or kite shops often have random sizes of small diameter rod and tube

Ladders
    Free Member

PCB spacers a great idea thanks! 🙂

If not then I was going to try drilling some plastic rod, thanks for those links everyone!

boblo
    Free Member

Plastic? On STW? Shirley 6mm carbon kite rod? 🙂

I’d still make a couple of half formers and a tray from lite ply. Glue the lot in. Proper job. Plastic? Pah! 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘STW Modellers – where can I get this?’ is closed to new replies.