Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • STW meetups of old
  • iainc

This popped up on my FB memories from 7 years ago. A few of us still around these parts .. 🙂

drum

jimmy

How does 7 years look so long ago 😀

How about 13 years:

STW Ride May 2009 – Scotland

matt_outandabout

Bloomin heck, I don’t even remember that!

GolfChick
    Free Member

OMG @duncancallum a social opportunity to add to your list of people you know and you weren’t there!! Were you in a coma/suffering with leprosy?

doris5000

Looks like a giant mega-tandem behind everyone there 😆

richmtb

Happy memories. I really regret getting rid of my Five Spot

vmgscot

Still here and lurking around

iainc

Drumlanrig, was a fun day out 👍

Bunnyhop

No wimmin :0(

matt_outandabout

No wimmin :0(

Everyone were invited. 🙁

Ambrose

I bumped into a Massive Quantocks group ride once. I wasn’t taking part but was in the area. I seem to remember signs at the side of the road pointing to the meeting spot. Also, sticky labels with people’s names on?

Speshpaul

Anyone else remember the long mynd meet up.
    Prolonged faffing in the car park, many punctures, merlin man, andy, troutmask.
    But how long ago? Dan didn’t have kids then and one of them has a driving licence now!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ton organised a good meet up back in 2015, up in Minigaff, based at the YH.
    TJ, Scotroutes, a very angry vegan, Bustaspoke, quite a few others.
    Alas, I only have one scabby photo, of me inappropriately clothed apparently. Once a MTBer always a MTBer..
    Minigaff trip 018

BigJohn

I’ve still got a More ears than gears sticker on my single speed pub bike. Organised on here, met up on Cannock Chase before Follow the dog was a thing.
    So long ago that even the forum’s mighty search engine doesn’t pick it up.

funkynick

If I remember correctly, the Cannock one met up in the Barleymow at Milford…

I seem to remember it being organised for after a bike jumble which occurred somewhere locally, which was where I bought a secondhand 5 Spot frame from Sideways Cycles… which I’ve still got, and use occasionally too!

No idea who else was on the ride though… or what year it was…

tartanscarf

I met my wife at one of the very first ones. Dalbeattie forest, way back in 2003 I think it was. Maybe Sanny organised it? Bad shirt competition in the pub on the Saturday, still
    Got it somewhere! And still married too.

scruff
    Free Member

@funkynick, think we had over 50 people on that ride. Made alot of group inertia.

DickBarton

Odd as I recognise many faces in that first pictures but no idea who they are – apart from 1 (and he doesn’t appear to have aged much since then!)…

StirlingCrispin

April 2004

Falloffalot’s ride to Culra Bothy and Ben Alder Cottage.
    Advertised on here, the Stirling Bike Club forum and more – so lots and lots of riders turned up.

The first climb took forever, and the descent had a punctured rider with upturned bike on just about every hairpin (I counted the first 11 corners).
    And how we laughed as Kenny said we had to carry the bikes from Ben Alder Cottage back up to the bealach.
    A photograph of everyone at the bothy was published on the back of Kenny’s Mountainbike Scotland: The Highlands.

Now that was a bike ride!

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

How ’bout this? A frosty Forest of Dean STW ride in the early 2000s. I’m the guy third from right, and the guy in grey next to me was Tasso. I seem to remember it may have been a Singlespeed meet-up, but there are certainly guys there with gears. Think Rocketdog was there? All veeeeeeery hazy now, mind 🙂

old men

crewlie

I remember going to a STW Kona meet-up at Thetford years ago. I got there late and me and another guy had to ride full tilt for the best part of an hour to catch up. Good day out, Bez from on here was the organiser if I remember right.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

[too late to edit]
    Found another jpeg from that ride with a date: 30th Jan 2002!!!

old men 2

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Oh my days. Alfred’s Tower (Stourhead) Boxing Day ride, 2004. Me far left, Jenn far right on her ‘cross bike, and Chipps in the middle.

alfreds tower ride

joelowden

…jings Iain, I don’t appear to be any lighter these days..

Harry_the_Spider
    lovewookie

Dalbeattie forest, way back in 2003 I think it was. Maybe Sanny organised it?

I remember that one. I was riding my then quite new cannondale F3000Sl hardtail. I’m not sure if it was because the trails were newer then, or if it was just my fitness was much better then, but zipping about on a 20lb hardtail with 70mm forks I never felt underbiked.

Alex

Don’t have a pic, but we organised a STW Chilterns ride prob around 2005-6. We started with 18 and lost 2 on the first descent! They might still be out there 🙂

nickc

I was at the Forest of Dean meet-up, can’t see myself in the picture though.

I was at the Chilterns meet as well, fun times.

DickBarton

Dalbeattie forest, way back in 2003 I think it was. Maybe Sanny organised it?

Was that a STW meet or an organised trailbuild day? I attended one of those – and died spectacularly on the second climb…

tartanscarf

@lovewookie I was on a Cannondale Super V900. I remember turning up and folk going “Wow – retro”. It was the only bike I had and I never felt underbiked either.

@dickbarton
    – it definitely wasn’t a trail building session.

singletrackmind

Philconsequence organised 2 or 3 sexy swinley meet ups. Az fred was there for one. Good times.

singlespeedstu

Organised on here, met up on Cannock Chase before Follow the dog was a thing.

I was on that ride with Mrsstu.
    I seem to remember it started off with fast and slow groups.
    The fast group set off at such a pace that about 75% of the group got dropped within about 3 miles.
    We just about held on until whoever was leading slowed the pace down once the group had depleted.🤣
    Only person I can remember from the ride was PQ.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I did one at Swinney probably ~10 years ago?

oldfart

One of my Quantocks birthday rides was well attended maybe the Songs Of Praise effect as it was featured in the mag 🤔one Chipps Chippendale in attendance there was birthday cake home made by Annabanana ❤️
    Unfortunately Mr Chipps is far too busy too attend a reunion 😔 as was mentioned there were so many there we had stickers with our names on 😎
    It was so famous that some time later I was grocery shopping in Whistler when someone randomly came up to me and said did I see you in Single-track magazine !Sure enough said copy was on sale in the magazine section 👍

Trekster

That would have been the opening day of the actual first of the 7Stanes(GT robbed so much…..) Chipps, Sanny and many other inc Lucy from BikeVerbier attended that awesome weekend

Trekster

I remember meeting you and the Stirling guys at the trailbuid day, I took the axe from you to remove the tree stump

Trekster

Sanny organised the Pitlochry STW ride which may have been the last one??? The STW Verbier holiday was awesome…..

cogglepin

Only been on one STW meet up, must have been about 12 to 15 years ago from Ogden Water. Ton organised it and I seem to think there were 46 of us turned up. I didn’t know anyone on the ride other that Ton and a mate of mine who came with us but I think Lowey was there and DJ was taking loads of photos.
    I bumped into DJ must have been a year later in the middle of Dalby and recognised him from that ride.

chipps

Late as always… Thanks for the photo @thurmanmerman. I think there’s Al Mackinlay AKA Bullit there and his sister Bob on the Lefty Cannondale too. It was very, very cold!

duncancallum

@golfchick

Dunno ridden with a few on this thread over the years….

Should do a StW weekender next year

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.