Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • STW Kitchen world
  • gonzy
    Free Member

wife wants a new kitchen…and for once i agree

got a quote from B&Q and one from Ikea and now we’re looking at Wickes.
    ideally i would get the kitchen and find my own fitter but i’d have to add a plumber, a gas fitter and an electrician onto the job too. i dont have the time and patience to do that so i’m looking at getting the supplier to carry out the full install.

ikea have put themselves out of the running due to the cabinet sizes they offer doesnt give us the design we want or the storage we need

has anyone had any experience of either B&Q or Wickes kitchens in terms of quality of product and quality of installation/workmanship?

or anyone else we should be looking at?

BFITH
    Free Member

Fitted a Wickes one earlier this year. Had it delivered and fitted myself. Really pleased with the quality of the cabinets and doors and great service from the in-store designer – she gave us some great ideas that we hadnt thought of ourselves. Ended up getting appliances elsewhere. Crappy phone pics below:

dooosuk
    Free Member

http://www.diy-kitchens.co.uk

same quality as Wickes, cheaper price (even when Wickes have 50% off their 50% off price). Delivered pre-assembled and easy to fit yourself.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gonzy
    Free Member

looks nice that BFITH…i like the colour scheme too especially the lower doors. what colour is it?

BFITH
    Free Member

Lower ones are Sofia Graphite With uppers and fridge in Sofia Cashmere. We thought graphite all round might be too dark. The two colours together make a good combination.

BFITH
    Free Member

Delivered pre-assembled

Where’s the fun in that 😉

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

BFITH, thanks for posting up those pics. I’m in the process of designing a kitchen for my new house and your kitchen size is very similar to mine. We’re going for a similar colour scheme too so was nice to see it in the flesh!

sandwicheater

WREN also worth a gander.

Bimbler
    Free Member

watches thread with interest. You may want to check the Trustpilot of Wren Kitchens, put me off

yetidave
    Free Member

we went to all the above (not ikea) but also Howden. Ended up with a local supplier who also fitted. We think we got a much better quality service and product at the same price as Wicks were going to charge. They were also very accommodating with respect to timings as the builder overran a little. the builder wanted us to use DIY kitchens, but also didn’t want to fit them. (other jobs being his excuse rather than anything wrong with DIY kitchens.

BFITH
    Free Member

thanks for posting up those pics

You’re welcome, let me know if you need any more info 🙂

WREN also worth a gander.

We looked at Wren at the time and they did pretty much the same doors/fascias, but the cupboards just didn’t seem sturdy enough….

tjagain

It was a few years ago I used them but the B&Q kitchen units I got where no where near as well made as the Ikea ones. I had to plane a lot of the units to get the worktop to sit flat.

footflaps

I had to plane a lot of the units to get the worktop to sit flat.

Isn’t that what the adjustable height feet are for?

tjagain

footflaps – the tops of the cupboards where not the same height on each side – couple of mm difference between one side and the front and the other side. worktop would not sit flat on them

thehustler
    Free Member

footflaps – the tops of the cupboards where not the same height on each side – couple of mm difference between one side and the front and the other side. worktop would not sit flat on them

POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

This is not a cabinet issue, its a fitter issue (DIY enthusiast)

tjagain

NOpe – it was a cabinet issue. they were cheap carcasses and it was a good few years ago so it might not be valid now.

What had happened was the various predrilled holes for the cam fasteners and dowels were not in the same place on each side of the cabinet. so when you built it up the two sides were not parallel or level. Just a small inaccuracy in the drillings in the sides

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I’ve had Benchmarx in to do a survey as I need a kitchen, and the builder was saying that designers often come up with good ideas that you wouldn’t yourself.

However it wasn’t very inspiring initially and we have had to make a few changes, so it seems OK now.

His measurements are out by 20mm in the long direction and 10mm in the other direction – I told him there was some plastering to do but that is quite an allowance – probably enough for 10 coats of plaster…

I might end up buying some other stuff from Benchmarx instead and get the units from diy instead as I keep seeing comments about their quality being better.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The (future-ex) wife is adament that the single mixer tap on the 1.5 sink unit I am having is exactly central to the windows – so my dishwasher os going to be slightly further away from the sink than ideal.

skellnonch
    Free Member

I’m in the market for a new kitchen diy kitchens look really good cheers for the infos

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If you spend enough time learning it you can do the design with Google SketchUp for free – several videos on youtube on using it, such as this series :

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mROs55mFhSg[/video]

(slight variations in the newer Sketchup and units are imperial).

Here’s my survey pictures as an example of what Benchmarx (25 year old guy) came up with, in case they are of any inspiration/use to anyone :

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘STW Kitchen world’ is closed to new replies.