Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 238 total)
  • STW Junior Designer job £15.6k- did I read that right?
  • BoardinBob

Ok. Just checked, and according to this link: http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport11.pdf

Average graduate salaries are £29,000!!

It says the median salary is £29,000.

That’s not the average.

Ladders
    Free Member

No disrespect to Binmen, as they do do an important job, but it’s not exactly a hard skill to learn. That’s whats so frustrating about some of the wages that are paid out there.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It £7.50 / hr for a 40 hr week, If its a £35 hr week its £8.50 A chunk above minimum wage of £6.08.

depressed wages especially in the north of England. Beer is cheap there tho 🙂

BoardinBob

And I’m fairly certain all a bin man will ever earn is around £19k whereas a graduate would hope to earn a lot more than that over the course of their career

johnners
    Free Member

bin men get paid more than that

And rightly so. If I had to choose between them I’d rather have my bin emptied than my graphics designed.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

No disrespect to Binmen, as they do do an important job, but it’s not exactly a hard skill to learn.

But it’s an important job to the function of society, I’m not sure I could say the same thing about a graphic designer. Plus the fact it must be bloody hard work. On your feet all day, outside in all weathers essentially collecting everyone elses crap.

Ladders
    Free Member

So, no adverts, no magazines, no newspapers, no labels on products etc.

If I had to, I could take my own rubbish to the local dump!

rewski
    Free Member

But it’s an important job to the function of society, I’m not sure I could say the same thing about a graphic designer

You muppets, what are you brain surgeons or something?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

So, no adverts, no magazines, no newspapers, no labels on products…

No notes telling you what day your bin day is…

njee20
    Free Member

Average graduate salaries are £29,000!!

Bollocks they are. I live in the South-East, work in London, graduated 3 years ago and don’t know of anyone who got a graduate job anything like that!

The multinational where I work (in the South East) pays grads £15k, or £18,700 in Central London!

BoardinBob

Bollocks they are. I live in the South-East, work in London, graduated 3 years ago and don’t know of anyone who got a graduate job anything like that!

The multinational where I work (in the South East) pays grads £15k, or £18,700 in Central London!

See above.

He’s confused average with median

miketually
    Free Member

The biggest question I have from this thread is what on earth are graphic designers learning at uni for three years if they’re not experienced enough to go straight into a non-junior ‘learning’ role?

After three years at uni, I was thrown straight into doing exactly the same job as highly experienced staff.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

fervouredimage +1.

Sounds like paradise…

prezet
    Free Member

Ladders
    Free Member

The biggest question I have from this thread is what on earth are graphic designers learning at uni for three years if they’re not experienced enough to go straight into a non-junior ‘learning’ role?

After three years at uni, I was thrown straight into doing exactly the same job as highly experienced staff.

What most graphic designers aren’t learning is the technical side of the job. Stuff like using the computer programmes and how to output to print etc. These are learnt on the job.

What they do learn is more the art side and theoretical side etc

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Well now you put it like that, I don’t know what I would do.

Ladders
    Free Member

Sounds like paradise…

Why stop there, why not have no designers. No MTB’s, no cars, no clothes……

fervouredimage
    Free Member

You muppets, what are you brain surgeons or something?

Not a brain surgeon but I am a heart surgeon.

What’s your point?

binners

Sounds like paradise…

And where do you think this website materialised from?

crikey
    Free Member

So, no adverts, no magazines, no newspapers, no labels on products etc

I’m reasonably sure that all these things pre-date ‘graphic designers’ by a number of years…

prezet
    Free Member

What most graphic designers aren’t learning is the technical side of the job. Stuff like using the computer programmes and how to output to print etc. These are learnt on the job.

True, but most digital presses now (from what I’m aware) handle alot more of this stuff than they used to. I appreciate the old skool methods of color seperation, spot colours, custom varnishes etc – I remember the days of making printers films from plates and colour proofs make from cromalins.

Now-a-days, alot of stuff can be proofed by pdfs etc, rather than the old skill of having to create them by hand.

aracer
    Free Member

No disrespect to Binmen, as they do do an important job, but it’s not exactly a hard skill to learn.

So how come you weren’t up to it?

prezet
    Free Member

Developers writing code. Not designers doing photoshop stuff.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I’d quite like to be a bin man, task and finish sounds excellent

ericemel
    Free Member

Design is a tough industry – my wife is a designer, working with many of the top London Agencies and they money even at her level isn’t great by usual city comparison – seniors are still on sub £40k. But they literally have 100’s of people lining up for every job, and they will kick you out if you don’t give 110%.

But for some I guess it is the perfect job. That’s why it is now such a popular course at uni now, as well as college and even a-level!

Sod that – I will get back to my well paid job clicking on spreadsheets.

Ladders
    Free Member

True, but most digital presses now (from what I’m aware) handle alot more of this stuff than they used to. I appreciate the old skool methods of color seperation, spot colours, custom varnishes etc – I remember the days of making printers films from plates and colour proofs make from cromalins.

Now-a-days, alot of stuff can be proofed by pdfs etc, rather than the old skill of having to create them by hand.

Yes, but you still need to know how to output to CMYK even if it isn’t to plates. Plus a lot of Magazines, brochures etc are still printed Litho

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The Internetz.

aracer
    Free Member

why not have no designers. No MTB’s

I’m pretty sure the engineers could manage that one without any input from the designers. There might be a bit of a lack of last year’s model with some tweaks and a new paintjob colorway to make you want a new one if that bothers you though.

miketually
    Free Member

What they do learn is more the art side and theoretical side etc

It sounds like the degree programme needs rewriting.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

No, we can just stop with Graphic Designers. It’s not an all or nothing choice.

I didn’t realise we were voting on the abolishment of Graphic Designers. Where do I sign?
    😉

I’m joking. I’m not saying that Graphic Designers don’t have worth in Society, of course they do, but so do Binmen and most people, given the choice of what society could lose would probably choose graphic designers to be given the chop over binmen.

It’s a false opposition to compare a binman to a designer but I still think it’s reasonable that binmen should earn more than a Junior Designer.

rewski
    Free Member

but I am a heart surgeon

surely an educated individual like yourself doesn’t need my point explaining?

miketually
    Free Member

So, no adverts, no magazines, no newspapers, no labels on products etc

We’d have all of those, they’d just be less pretty.

We’d have all of those, they’d just be less pretty.

The designer coloured it in, they didn’t make it.

aracer
    Free Member

B ark.

binners

Funny, that’s exactly what I thought when I graduated and entered the real world.

stumpy01

Sounds like an OK wage for a junior position to me.

prezet
    Free Member

Yep – my BA tought all theory, and how to critique your and others work. Luckily I worked in a repo house alongside doing my degree, so got to learn all the technical stuff from there. Pretty much walked into a job as soon as I left Uni.

Degree course touch on the technical side, but very briefly – they’d be better to include a module to place students for at least a month as a repo house or similar.

Cougar

Took me a year to get a job remotely doing what I wanted, and that paid, wait for it, £8.5k!

My first job in IT (helpdesk circa 1992) paid £7,500. I found out later that I was one of the highest paid new starters they’d ever taken on.

Tiger6791

STW is small business, you need to watch your overheads.

Staff costs are usually one of the biggest

They look like a great company to work for with certain lifestyle benefit (assumption only)

The job title says Junior

Juniors tend to need more time investment and coaching

16k seems okay to me, can’t see the problem

fettling
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure the engineers could manage that one without any input from the designers. There might be a bit of a lack of last year’s model with some tweaks and a new paintjob colorway to make you want a new one if that bothers you though.

Left to the engineers we’d still be riding around on steel rigid bikes with thumb shifters and U brakes….
    Still having as much fun though so maybe not a bad thing. Perhaps it’s time to give up on product design and become a personal trainer.

crikey
    Free Member

Tis only a mountain bike mag too; it’s not like they’ll have to design an Olympic logo or anything…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 238 total)

The topic ‘STW Junior Designer job £15.6k- did I read that right?’ is closed to new replies.