Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • STW job board…. 3rd line IT support manager
  • mrmchammer
    Free Member

Hey,

after a few posts about people out of jobs i thought i would be good to advertise a job we have going in our office.

We are looking for a 3rd line support person who will also look after a small team of 1st and 2nd line people. They must be very good with people and have strong MS experience in Server products and Exchange. Salary is 25-30k and the job is in Cardiff.

Drop me a line if your interested!

MSP

25-30k is the pay for a 3rd line it support manager???

Probably need to up the pay by about 20k to get someone who can actually do the job.

Cougar

Sounds like my ideal job, apart from the location and the salary. I’ll keep an ear out for you though.

mrmchammer
    Free Member

management experience isnt a necessity for the role so i think the salary is about right

McHamish
    Free Member

Blimey, I’m not sure our support manager would get out of bed for that!

carbon337
    Free Member

Not enough £££ OP.

boblo
    Free Member

Good responses. That’ll encourage the OP to do something nice again 🙂

mrmchammer
    Free Member

ok exclude the “manager” bit from the title then… 3rd line with exchange and server experience 25k-30k

there you go

🙂

Cougar

“3rd line support technician” and “3rd line support manager” are two wildly different roles.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

.. 3rd line with exchange and server experience 25k-30k

there you go

Is it a management role?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Ahh a support manager who doesn’t have to manage. Is this the kind of manager who tells people to switch it off and switch it on again between bouts of managing the support line catering (makes the tea)?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

BBSB – ungrateful swine.

FuzzyWuzzy

I would have thought £30-35k was more realistic unless there’s good benefits, even factoring in it’s in Cardiff. There’s a lot of good people on the job market at the moment though so you might get lucky (at least there were when I was looking for a senior analyst late last year in Bristol).

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

In fairness to the OP

1st question – Do you want the job or not?

Cougar

Put it this way,

It’s a job title higher than mine (I’m essentially third line support, no management), I consider myself woefully underpaid, and if I lived locally to Cardiff I wouldn’t take it unless there were a lot of perks to the package, or I was unemployed.

That said, if I was out of work, I’d tear your arm off for it.

boblo
    Free Member

It would help you finish the escape tunnel from Preston Cougar 🙂

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

That said, if I was out of work, I’d tear your arm off for it.

[img]http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2007/gallery/boybangs/zac_efron.jpg[/img]

Cougar

It would help you finish the escape tunnel from Preston

There’s fare dodging, and then there’s fare dodging.

Cougar

CharlieMungus > *applauds*

xiphon
    Free Member

3rd line with management – salary far too low to babysit 1st and 2nd liners.

3rd line without management – I would say it should start the upper end of your salary range.

Also depends on your skill requirements – strictly a MS shop, or some Linux (pushes salary up… separates the wheat from the chaff) – and does it involve any networking (switch/router/firewall management) ?

plus 1 !

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

BBSB – ungrateful swine.

how very dare you? i love a decent cup of tea, but doubt if I could liberate £25-£30k of the taxpayers money for a tea slave

EDIT – even with the ability to say “switch it off and switch it on again” at random intervals, regardless of the question

mrmchammer
    Free Member

and this is why i love STW!

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm, I’m getting senior developer roles in Cardiff sent to me for not much more than that.

clubber
    Free Member

IT salaries have taken a big hit in some areas IMO – certainly my experience based on the people we had being put forward for 1st line support roles who were way more capable/qualified than expected…

Cougar

My experience is that IT salararies have always been crap, but that might just be me.

I think the most I ever earned net in a calendar month since I started gainful employment was doing manual labour.

xiphon
    Free Member

I disagree with this – always thought it paid fairly well. OK, we might have quite a bit of responsibility (entire company’s infrastructure, for example!), but it’s good money….. well, that’s what I’ve had… LOL

codybrennan
    Free Member

“who will also look after a small team”= management.

Cougar

I disagree with this

You can’t disagree with my experience, it’s mine. Yours might well be different, however.

If you’re well paid, any jobs going? (-:

boblo
    Free Member

Cougar, might just be you have unrealistic expectations 🙂 For everyone else, you may be well rewarded.

My experience is that IT is quite well paid. If yours differs, get a different job elsewhere. 😉

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Our first line drooling windows monkeys earn that

xiphon
    Free Member

Maybe, if I have to move up to Scotland (mrs xiphon might need to re-locate…).

woffle
    Free Member

My experience is that IT salararies have always been crap, but that might just be me.

Come and work in London. The salaries def. aren’t crap – it really does depend wholly on where you are in the UK – a bit odd but there we go – I live in Sussex and local web developers might be lucky to earn 25K, travel 50 minutes up to London and you’re on a hell of a lot more. A decent oracle DBA might earn 100K in London, you’d be lucky to get 35K in the South-West…

MSP

I would prefer a 25k job in Cardiff than a 125k job in London, some things money can’t buy.

woffle
    Free Member

I would prefer a 25k job in Cardiff than a 125k job in London, some things money can’t buy

If you had to live in London I’d agree with you – one of the good things about the City is the transport links in and out…

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘STW job board…. 3rd line IT support manager’ is closed to new replies.