Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • STW horticulturalists assemble: what’s this leaf?
  • munkster
    Free Member

Every year we get inundated by zillions of these tiny leaves and we haven’t got a clue where they’re coming from. They seem to get into every single nook and cranny, inside, outside, car, shed, bath, everywhere. Not planning to do anything about it, such as cutting the source down, well, maybe not… Just wondering where the hell they are in fact coming from because it’s puzzled us for years. As a start, can anyone identify what manner of tree/plant it might be “off”??

For info, leaves are probably 2-3mm across at the most.

(Bracing myself for smart-alec replies but hopefully at least one or two considered serious ones 😉 )

null
    null

Large: Pic1
    Large: Pic2

bratty

Not sure thats a leaf – may be a budleia (sorry for the spelling) flower

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddleja

munkster
    Free Member

Interesting. We do have a budlea (or however it’s spelled) and it was cut back aggressively this spring so maybe that’s why there seems more of them this year.

Houns

Seed thingies (nutlets) off silver birch

faerie
    Free Member

I’d agree with Silver Birch
    https://images.app.goo.gl/CC49iJ86oErFzHy97

Rio

I’d agree, silver birch. Our house is full of them from the neighbour’s tree. Seems to have been a particularly prolific year for them.

munkster
    Free Member

Ah, case closed. Humongous silver birch in next doors front garden. They’re having it cut back in the autumn so hopefully it’ll be less invasive next year. Interesting you’ve felt it was worse this year Rio, we definitely feel the same! Seems daft being irked by tiny leaves (or whatever they are) but there *are* gazillions of them, and literally everywhere.

Thanks all.

what_tyres
    Free Member

For future reference when you need to identify a plant, flower or tree, the PlantNet app is amazing.
    Also try BirdNET for bird song. Shazam for birdsong!!

bsims
    Free Member

We get those as well, and I’ve been wondering what they were. 2 silver birch over our back fence. Thanks for solving the mystery.

Edit: Just shared with Mrs Sims, who said “I know”. She’s been keeping this secret from me for 12 years!

munkster
    Free Member

Glad to be of service petals. I can’t be-leaf there were no silly replies though…

I’ll have to seed defeat.

Thanks all.

nedrapier

Just in case there are any horti/arborculturalists still in, do the female catkins stop being called catkins when the seeds are developed and ready to be released?

I was talking about these seeds with my dad the other day, I said, “they come off catkins” he said – “I don’t think so, you must be thinking of something else” He might have had flower/pollen stage in mind, or he couldn’t imagine these seeds all stacked up as in the photo.

Is there another name for the dangly seed stack?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Is there another name for the dangly seed stack?

*sniggers*

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘STW horticulturalists assemble: what’s this leaf?’ is closed to new replies.