Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • STW Hive mind to the rescue! Floating floor construction
  • Premier Icon futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I need to turn my garage into a workshop/studio of some kind. I’m thinking of doing an insulated floating floor, using 50mm kingspan or similar, can I use 22mm t&g chipboard on top? The kingspan website says 18mm t&g plywood, but it’s twice the price!! Quite a large area, 35m sq.  I suppose I’ll need to put down some levelling compound, as the floor is tamped concrete.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

I would use chipboard – ideally T&G so I can glue it all up together.

Put down a DPC barrier, if you don’t have one. Depending on *how* rough, I would ignore the small divots or a levelling compound.

Premier Icon mj27
    Free Member

I would be concerned with the square edge butt joints of 8 x 4 chipboard sheets compared with glued T & G sheets.

Loading on the sheet edges will be different if not T & G.  It depends what you are doing in the garage aswell

Premier Icon ransos
    Free Member

How about interlocking rubber tiles instead?

Premier Icon daviek

When we converted half of our garage In to a playroom we were told by planning that we needed a minimum of 80mm kingspan under the floor. I’d give it a check before you get set on buying it.

This all depends on if you’re getting a building warrent or not though

Premier Icon futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I will be putting down a DPM, looking at the web, 22mm t&g chipboard seems to be ok 👍 – joints will be glued. Thickness of insulation, it’s not a habitable room as such, and I’m not sure the budget will stretch!

Premier Icon andylc
    Free Member

DPM / radon barrier if you’re in the relevant area, 80mm insulation Celotex / Kingspan then tongue and groove chipboard on top. Don’t think there is any need to use a levelling compound if you’re putting in a floating floor anyway.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘STW Hive mind to the rescue! Floating floor construction’ is closed to new replies.