Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • STW guitarists – Drop B tuning
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Hmm. Wibbly, wobbly, rattle, rattle, flop, flop and tends to go out of tune pretty quick

But, sounds good.

Currently using a set of .11’s, would going heavier gauge improve things or is it only really going to work with a guitar specifically set up for drop B? Guess that would be a higher action for a start?

mutley

Baritone neck? I’d go for a heavy gauge set of strings. Might be worth getting your truss rod adjusted.

willej

That’s what seven strings or long-scale six strings are for, isn’t it? I like detuning; one of my guitars is permanently set up 4 semitones down (C/F/A#/D#/G/C), with 12-54 strings (D’Addario EXL145s). A standard 6-string bridge or tremolo will probably not have enough saddle travel to set the intonation properly any lower than that. It is lovely to play and sounds pretty good but any lower than that and I’d get a guitar designed for lower tunings.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

That’s what seven strings or long-scale six strings are for, isn’t it?

Doh!!!

Why didn’t I think of that???

Will have to wait until after our extension sis rebuilt 🙁

slasher

You want the D’Addario String Tension Guide.

Find the tension you like in standard tuning and aim for similar at the dropped tuning. This will tell you what gauge you want. If you have a non-locking nut you may run into the problem of strings being too fat for the nut slots, i.e. tuning problems.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘STW guitarists – Drop B tuning’ is closed to new replies.