Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • STW Gone Fishing
  • abingham

Just back from a lovely 90mins or so on my local river, fly fishing for brown trout, and figured there must be other STWers who could share a few stories, tips, and tricks!

No luck during this session. One strong bite that I missed but other than that I got sweet FA, but had a thoroughly nice time doing it.

So far this season I’m at 5 fish to hand and another 2 or so that came off, but I’ve only been out the sun total of around 6hrs so far, and the fish in my local river are VERY spooky!

dyna-ti

Fishing with a mate on Lomond and we caught nothing but a brace of beers. My mate told me someone had left a 2lb Brownie up on the bank so I went to take a look.

It was a different kind of Brownie.

wheeliedirty
    Free Member

Keen fisherman here.

Love my river fishing and will happily fish for anything but I prefer more mobile techniques be that lure fishing, trotting or stalking.

I did a lot of fly fishing on the chalk streams of Normandy when I lived there, fished the l’iton, l’arve and the la risle mainly. Used to catch well on the dirty duster or klinkhammers fished as search patterns but my biggest fish always used to fall to nymphs.

goldfish24

I don’t know what spooky fish look like, I don’t know what a brownie is, and I certainly have no idea what a klinkhammer or dirty duster is.

I’m undecided whether you’re all drunk or if this is a kind of fisherman’s poetry. I favour the latter, and I shall be watching this thread with interest.

brian2
    Free Member

Summer on the Solway. Bass, Tope, Huss and loads of fun with Pollock and Mackerel. Plaice and doggies plus smooth hound and starries if you’re lucky. I just love it when the crab peel.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Shore sea fishing- no sea legs for boats!!
    Live on the N Devon coast so very lucky … on my doorstep.

abingham

I prize convenience over big fish, so I just tend to fish the River Erne which is a 5min walk from my house.

I do Tenkara fixed line fly fishing, so just the rod, around 10 foot of line and 2 foot of tippet and a fly. I’ve had good success with nymphs and killer bugs, but there’s nothing like the feeling of a fish taking a dry fly from the surface. Although I’m much less successful using them, when I do get in on a fish it’s fantastic!

snakebite
    Free Member

Barbel for me, though I do enjoy some proper winter chubbing”!

wooksterbo

I prefer float fishing in a nice picturesque pond with trees and lily pads or a small stream ledgering or stick float. I hadn’t been for years until last week with my brother on his club waters. Caught a few carp but all on leads and usual carp tactics which I don’t mind if fishing with others but not if out on my own. Caught nothing on my float rod.

We are off to France in a few weeks for big carp, will take the float rod for the silvers in the lake.

Beagleboy

The River Carron (Stirlingshire), is about 40m down a hill from my front door and is a beautiful river to fly fish for wee brownies. I have a season ticket, but haven’t been on it this year yet. Thanks for reminding me!

C.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.