Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Stw go to smartphone
  • bigyim
    Free Member

What’s the latest go to smartphone everyone is using under 200 quid?

Need one with a good battery life, GPS and good camera. Also prefer a bigger phone rather than one I can’t use with my fat fingers. I looked at the wileyfox but looks like they have gone bump

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Went for this one

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/8165040

Up to date, fast enough, good enough and a good price

Kryton57
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ask ‘Curtis’

https://singletrackworld.com/tech/

😉

CraigW
    Free Member

Nokia 6 (2018 version) worth a look. It is Android One, so pretty much standard Android, and should get some updates.

eskay

Motorola G5S Plus, great phone

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/moto-g5s-plus

Garry_Lager

Didn’t realise wileyfox had gone bankrupt, I have their swift 2 and it’s great apart from the camera. Motorola G5 was also fine and camera was miles better.

Would have got another motorola but at the time they had no NFC for android pay in that range. Imagine that’s been sorted now.

jeffl

Son has a moto g5s plus or something. Nice phone especially for the price.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep the G5s I got from argos – though the name was in the link – has NFC for android pay now

nixie

Moto G5 range is old school now. The G6 has just been released. Going to try and get a G6 plus at lunch today (CPW exclusive unfortunately).

wysiwyg
    Free Member

iphone 6s?

onewheelgood

G6 and G6 Play now listed at Argos

Cougar

G6 and G6 Play now listed at Argos

Looks like there’s an upgraded version of the G6 exclusive to Amazon.  Dual SIM, faster CPU, more RAM (and a smaller battery).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/motorola-5-7-Inch-Android-Sim-Free-Smartphone-Deep-Indigo/dp/B079SQF4BD

docgeoffyjones

G6 and G6 Play now listed at Argos

There is a decent amount of internal storage on both of those. I had a G5 which was great but my daughter broke it so now i have a moto E4 which is also great and has a large capacity removable battery.

spooky_b329

Samsung A3 was my pick of the midrange phones

bigjim

Mi A1, not sure I’d call the camera good, but not sure I’d call any budget end camera good

SaxonRider

Ask ‘Curtis’
    https://singletrackworld.com/tech/

Except that ‘Curtis’ made a significant mistake.

The Nokia 6 has also seen a price reduction in recent weeks due to rumours and subsequent launch of the Nokia 6X. This is likely the phone that many will be interested to buy as it comes from a brand that many of us know and love, but remember that the Nokia making these Android phones isn’t the same as the Swedish brand we all know and love.

The Swedish brand I love is Ericsson. Nokia is Finnish.

matt_outandabout

I am about to order a MotoX – we have Moto G2, G3, G4 and G5 in the house, as well as Nokia 8, iPhone 5s and Huwaei 8 thing.

The Moto’s have always been reliable, fast enough, cheap and just *work*, with simple no fuss Android Overlay.

The Nokia 8 was dead cheap box open thing, amazingly fast and nice to use, but pricey.

The iPhone is great, but now has major battery issues a few months off two years old.

The Huwaei costs more than all the others, and although it works well, just seems fussier Android in use, and I cannot see where the cost difference is.

flyingmonkeycorps

The Moto stuff is a good shout, as is the Xiaomi Mi A1 – £140ish from China or there are some Irish sellers on eBay for about £156.

Also have a look at the Honor 9 Lite – gets some great reviews, currently £160 on John Lewis but they will probably price match.

https://www.johnlewis.com/honor-9-lite-smartphone-android-5-65-4g-lte-sim-free-32gb-sapphire-blue/p3439888?sku=237381604&s_kwcid=2dx92700023920101998&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=CjwKCAjw8_nXBRAiEiwAXWe2ycs9C_HrMLysc4cXA0BOHsg9M6JOMu4hP6ES2VwMe3PYmgOvY-W1RRoC8YYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

hjghg5
    Free Member

Moto G5 range is old school now. The G6 has just been released. Going to try and get a G6 plus at lunch today (CPW exclusive unfortunately).

I bought the G6 plus earlier in the week – above the budget in the OP though.  Much better than my old G3 which really was on its last legs!

huckersneck
    Free Member

I bought the G6 plus earlier in the week – above the budget in the OP though. Much better than my old G3 which really was on its last legs!

I like a lot of things about my G3. It is powerful enough (I don’t want to run any 3D games, not too big and, best of all, is waterproof. Why aren’t more phones at this end of the spectrum waterproof? It is a primary consideration for me now. It has been really tough too, being washed off under the tap after numerous days covered in dust during DIY, mud from garden work/riding, etc. and perspiration or rain whilst out riding are non-factors.

The only things letting it down now are the 16GB internal memory clogging up &, primarily, the hard to replace battery (requires phone dismantling rather than just taking the back off and popping in/out the old/new battery). The battery is done in really but I’m just holding on, for lack of a suitable replacement.

matt_outandabout

shhh, but Moto X4 is virtually same as G6 in under the hood specs, but also waterproof. shhh.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Except that ‘Curtis’ made a significant mistake.

🙂

BillOddie

I’ve just been through this…

I ended up with a Nokia 8 (not the new 8 Sirocco) for 300notes (from Debenham Plus or John Lewis).  OPnly been using it for about 24 hours but seems nice and quick, camera takes nice photos and it’s just about stock android.

If I had a hundred less I’d be looking at the Nokia 6 (2018 model), or  Moto G6 Play.

Have a look at the reviews on Tech Radar and Pocket Lint.

Cougar

shhh, but Moto X4 is virtually same as G6 in under the hood specs, but also waterproof. shhh.

It’s also twice the price.  You could buy a G6, drop it down the toilet and buy another one.

flyingmonkeycorps

The X4 is much better spec than the G6, it’s more on a par with the G6 Plus which is similar in price. There were some great deals on the X4 a while back (it was £200 on Carphone Warehouse and I kinda wish I’d bought one) but most seem to have gone now. The Nokia 6 2018 looks pretty decent for a touch over budget too.

For UNDER £200 though I would seriously consider the Honor 9 Lite.

ugarizza
    Free Member

Hucker, I’m still running my g3 for sale reason as you, its toughness.

I have the 8gb memory bit not an issue with these extras:

1) sd card formatted as interna

2) Google photos cloud, delete photos automatically through Google photos once backed up

3) an app that cleans the cache

I recharge it every night.

matt_outandabout

It’s also twice the price.  You could buy a G6, drop it down the toilet and buy another one

Not if you look carefully.

ID mobile = £13.99 month on contract.

Laptopsdirect = box open £179

servo
    Free Member

Moto G3 owner here and just bought a Moto X4 as Moto G6 is a little bit too big and not waterproof.

Just paid £240 for Moto X4 🙂

Caher

Can get the G6plus on Amazon de. I must have a faulty G5 as many apps don’t work with Bluetooth, so have to use my old G3.

seadog101

On the old reccomend what you have…

Moto G5S plus. Very impressed with it for just £200 when I bought  it, up to about £230 now, but will drop now that the G6 versions are out and about.

nixie

Got the g6 plus from CPW at lunch today. It’s replaced my older Moto X play. So much faster. Google assistant is much better now as well. The finger print sensor currently has my eldest daughter baffled (she can’t understand how I can unlock but she can’t :D).

shermer75
    Free Member
    Caher

Like NIxie above I went to CPW today and picked up a G6+, a lot of money to fix my wahoo app.

Rich_s

Sitting on the khazi with a moto g6 play here. Went from a g5 which I dropped and cracked last week.

Biiiiiig battery, 32gb. Seems exactly like the g5 the, which is no bad thing

Ps it was the amazon one and it came with a case.

squirrelking
    Free Member

<p>For £200 Huawei P20 lite.</p><p></p><p>I have the P10 lite and at the price point you can’t beat it. More RAM, better processor and better battery, only difference is the 20 has a twin lense camera.</p><p></p><p>Pretty hard too, I dropped mine onto the road from a van and the glass back is cracked to buggery (oops, no case), screen is still perfect. Also dropped it in water with no issues!</p>

jimmy

Xperia Z5 compact from CEX, treat yourself to some new bike shoes with the change.

rickmeister

Left field recommend what you have, Blackview BV 8000 pro.

Waterproof, ruggedised, good GPS, good size screen. Android, twin camera, twin sim, fast and expandable memory.

ceept

Blackview BV8000 is a good shout. A friend has one & is happy with it. My wife has a blackview S8 and it seems very good VFM.

I’ve got a Nomu S30mini (£140, IP68 ,so it survives when I go OTB into a river). Its only a 4.7″ screen though, which I like, but may be smaller than you want.

We are pretty sold on Chinese smartphones in this house- many of them are rebranded then sold in the UK at inflated prices anyway, so often the only difference is the price, and potential warranty issues, though buying through Amazon helps alleviate that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Stw go to smartphone’ is closed to new replies.