• This topic has 68 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • STW Garmin Group
  • Drac

Right.

As we have so many members bought the bargain Garmins I’ve created a challenge group. Bear with me while I work our the clumsy software and interface. Currently it’s set for cycling, running and walking as we all do a variety of activities I’ve even tried this bike thing recently.

Feel free to suggest a challenge.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/group/3291934

I’ll probably appoint some others as admins on the group of it gets popular in order to help out. If I can work out how.

Remember your privacy zones folks just as a precaution. 

Click on your profile icon top right of the screen, account settings, privacy settings, scroll down to privacy zones, enter your postcode, set your zone size.

nickc

sweet, sent a request to join. Nice

Drac

No problem.

I think I’ve worked out challenges but they appear limited.

DickBarton

Are we inviting people to the sex bit (and would that then be group sex?)??? I’m confused by the welcome message!

beamers

Cool. Request to join submitted.

DickBarton

Pretty sure this is already well known, but make sure you have a good Privacy settings round your Starting/Ending points are for your activities.

Drac

Are we inviting people to the sex bit (and would that then be group sex?)??? I’m confused by the welcome message!

Hey! We’re all friends here.

Good point on the privacy zone I forgot as I’ve always only shared with connections until recently.

beamers

Pretty sure this is already well known, but make sure you have a good Privacy settings round your Starting/Ending points are for your activities.

Good shout. I’d got a privacy zone set up on Strava but not on Garmin Connect.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I don’t have a privacy zone set-up, but I do have a large and very loud dog.

cookeaa

Hmmm, most of my strava uploads are private by default, I’m buggered if I know how to get garmin to behave in a similar way… Anyone?

beamers

Ref the privacy zones in Garmin Connect. Click on your profile icon top right of the screen, account settings, privacy settings, scroll down to privacy zones, enter your postcode, set your zone size.

onehundredthidiot

As for challenges I think it’s too late to enter the virtual west highland way race. I wish I’d been too late ☹️

DickBarton

In Garmin user settings there is an option (somewhere) to let you decide who sees your activities – only you, Connections, Connections and Groups or Everyone. I think I’m set to only me (as I’m paranoid)…

On Garmin Connect, go to your Profile and then go to Account Settings – check settings in Public Profile and Privacy Settings to let you decide what can be seen by others.

DickBarton

Double post

cookeaa

In Garmin user settings there is an option (somewhere) to let you decide who sees your activities – only you, Connections, Connections and Groups or Everyone. I think I’m set to only me (as I’m paranoid)…

Yep I found that and have the same option set.

Then I thought I’d peruse the group, turns out ‘Nick’ (top of the members list) I can fully stalk you (promise I won’t rob you), all your routes are visible and I can see what device you recorded it on, I’ve not yet joined the group so it’s wide open to strangers! I’d dial up your individual privacy settings ASAP.

Drac

I may be able to change the group privacy too.

No, I can’t it has to be the individual you need account settings, privacy

cookeaa

Just requested to join.

ta11pau1

Also requested to join, billy no mates on garmin here! 😀

cookeaa

I’ll be honest I’ve barely ever explored much of the functionality of connect, it’s simply been an uploading tool for me since I first had a garmin device to play with.

It seems to have come on a bit.

In terms of challenges, why not keep it simple? Monthly totals for cycling/running/walking? Maybe a monthly ascent target equivalent to a famous mountain (not everest)?

Drac

Cheers I’m trying to keep on top of the requests things to do soon if you don’t get a response just hang in I’ll get there.

DickBarton

Only real annoyance for me is the Garmin Segment creator is not as precise as Strava – and you can’t upload a Strava Segment to the Garmin system – it fails every time. If the segment creator was as accurate then I’d probably stop using Strava as Garmin gives me everything there other than ‘proper’ segments. I’m not looking to beat people, but having segments lets me see if I’m improving over time.

cookeaa

Veloviewer is still handy for keeping track of segments for your own information even without strava premium. It will report your time, number of attempts, and how far (seconds and %) behind the KOM holder you are, just no leaderboard functionality.

Drac

Connect Stats works well on tablets for extra detail.

nickc

I can fully stalk you

only because you’re a part of the Singletrack group. TBH, I have a security zone and all that jazz, but honestly; there’s little point, you really wouldn’t need to be Hercule Poirot to work out where I live as there’s literally a choice of 3 houses…

cookeaa

only because you’re a part of the Singletrack group.

I wasn’t yet when I initially stalked you…
    I was able to track down the group and start browsing members, and any of their activities or anything else set to share with the wider public profile without having even requested to join.

I just wanted to see what the privacy is like on there, if you’re not careful it seems to be wide open…

I would definitely change your activities to just “connections and groups” if not completely set them to private, like others though I’m probably just a bit paranoid.

Drac

TBH, I have a security zone and all that jazz, but honestly; there’s little point, you really wouldn’t need to be Hercule Poirot to work out where I live as there’s literally a choice of 3 houses…

Yeah my surname pretty much negates any ring fence for me.

Looks like we’ve killed the Garmin servers with the STW curse.

Drac

Suddenly recalled it’s MM weekend this weekend so I’ll create a challenge for that as obviously MM is not happening this year.

fathomer

I’ve just requested to join as well 🙂

Drac

Cheers group is growing nicely.

cookeaa

Not to complain but the challenges seem a bit broken, most of my mileage seems to have vanished, I assume I’m not the only one as lots are shown as having riden zero miles… Is it just Garmin being ‘Garminy’?

tenfoot

Request sent. Thanks

colournoise

I’m in too. Request sent.

mrhoppy

most of my mileage seems to have vanished

Have you checked your privacy settings? By default my rides were all private. For distance to show up rides need to be visible to connections and groups. And if you set that it does not change historic rides, you need to go back and do that manually.

trail_rat
    Free Member

What are those of your who’s walks are showing recording them as.

I walk alot with the pram ATM. But neither steps nor recording it as a hike seems to work. – I have no walk option showing on my 735xt.

My privacy appears right as my rides have registered.

Drac

Is it just Garmin being ‘Garminy’?

Yeah it’s happened on other groups I’m in.

I’ll add those who have submitted ASAP I’ll also try to post some results tomorrow but I’m nights so I may forget. 😂

My walks are recorded as I hit start walk but I think I’ve set it to auto start think I may need to change that as it’s recording every time I pop out somewhere.

robbo1234biking

My mileage has all reset to zero as well despite doing 330 miles on the bike to date this month.

DickBarton

Has it reset the mileage as it is a Weekly challenge and today would be first day of new challenge?

Drac

Morning.

All new applications have been added. Last week’s challenge have closed, they close 12 hours after the end time to allow people to update. Yes Garmin software is being Garmin software it’s lost some people’s data.

Seems the challenges don’t restart each week unless I missed an option.

I may appoint an admin now the numbers are growing and I’m back at work so not checking as regular. I will see if I can get some screen shots up of the results. The Mayhem Mountain was won by Terry who rode 125.4 miles over Saturday and Sunday, I believe over a hundred of which was Saturday.

Anyway thanks all for joining hopefully it can get a bit more exciting but it’s good to see people just our exercising. Big shout out to our boy in NYC.

nickc

The Mayhem Mountain was won by Terry who rode 125.4 miles

Blimey, Chapeau!!

akkwlsk
    Free Member

Great, now I want a bargain Garmin 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘STW Garmin Group’ is closed to new replies.