Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 347 total)
  • STW forum bivvy ride Dec 4th / 5th from Machynlleth.
  • IanB
    Free Member

I’ll be in a tent. Provided we don’t stop somewhere exceptionally rocky, it’ll be just fine*

*famous last words…

Ambrose

What sort of shelter will there be? I’m none to keen to lug my tent, I don’t yet have a tarp but I have a goretex bivvi bag. Bothy/ ruin With a roof would suit me fine though.

flatfish
    Free Member

I can lend you a tarp if you want.

Tiger6791

Weather forecast dependant, unless there is a bothy which as far as I know there isn’t.

Gear options.

Dry all night (minimal chance of rain) – Just Bivvi bag
    Chance of light rain – Bivvi Bag, Micro Tarp
    Biblical rain Looks like Noah may have to get his saw and animal encyclopedia out – Tent.

Are we gonna work out stoves, no point taking a stove per person 🙂

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Pretty sheltered for bag users with options for tarps. Tents should be fine rock/ground wise but may have to find room outside the “compound” … so if you’re tenting it you’ll have to fend the bears and wolves off, you also might find it difficult to watch flatfish’s 52″ plasma telly with surround sound from there 😀

If push really does come to shove then a roof is possible with an extension of the days riding (still heading in the right direction though).

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I’ve got a budget bivi so I should be ok.

What constitutes a tarp?

I’m sure I can rustle something up before the off.

I’m going to try and be as minimal as possible as no fun lugging too much weight on the bike.

As for a tent I don’t have a micro tent the nearest small light tent is the kids pop up one so I could be riding with a shield type thing on my back – could be a handy parachute 😆

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

If the weather is ‘interesting’ I’ll bring along my BIG tarp, plenty big enough to get a few bodies under … but no snory bodies 😉

Ambrose

Aargh! I may need to dip out of this one- Mrs Ambrose has a karate grading that weekend and I may have to look after Son 2. However, if I can make it (annd I’m trying hard) does anyone fancy sharing a BoB trailer? Yes Pete, that’s you BTW 🙂

Is the bivvi location a secret? If publicised I would be more able to make decent decisions about what to bring etc. A four figure grid ref. at least. Pretty please.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Ambrose, I’ve sent you an email.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

OK Ambrose if I can make it I’ll assist with BoB no problem fella 😉

flatfish
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnrsqf33MXA[/video]

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Very good 😉

I was up there yesterday and very nice it was too, I found a descent I’d not come across before. Real mix of rocks and mud, I’m thinking it’s one for riding in freezing conditions when some of it might harden / dry out a bit … I’ll as John and Paul what they think.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Got my pass sorted 😀

time to get bivying kit sorted out other than bothy kit 🙂

not much difference really I suppose but tips welcomed

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

My tip would be – take loads and stick it in Ambrose’s trailer 😀

valleydaddy
    Free Member

😆

nah he’ll make me drag that coffin sled up there 😉

makes a good table though 😀

Tiger6791

bollocks! now in London that week

Ambrose

Still working on it folks. Where can I get a suitable tarp from- any sugestions?

@Stuart- many thanks for the mail, ta.

@Pete- I was going to do the uphills and let you do the downs. But now you are being all feisty I’m going to reverse it and let you do the uphills like I know you really want to.

stevemorg2

valleydaddy

– i’ve got a garage full of outdoor kit – bivibags, cookers, tarps (though work ones!) – let me know if you want to borrow anything

Surfr
    Free Member

Any chance of a hint as to route/locations? I’m local and may ride out from nant direction (home) or join from Mach but I’m unsure of availability at the moment

flatfish
    Free Member

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

You’ve given it away with that picture now flatfish 😉

flatfish
    Free Member

Thats the regular entrance, this one’s for the premiere of my latest movie i’ll be taking on my home cinema.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

So, you’ll be coming round with ice cream wafers half way through then … oh, and make sure there’s nowt funny going off at the back 😯

stevemorg2

Looks like I’ve been given the ok for this – is ok if I bolt on to this?

trickydisco
    Free Member

Same here.. I’d be up for this.

May have to see if tollah has any space in his wagon or i could take the van up.

i’ve always wanted to do a bivvy ride

Tiger6791

Just doing a test load for 1 night away

valleydaddy
    Free Member

@Ambrose – you know me I’ll ride what ever is put in front of me. We have similar sized gates of bikes so we’ll manage between us.

@Stevemorg2 – yes a lend of some kit would be great, I have a budget bivi but don’t have much faith in it. I’ll be in touch. I’m sure it’s ok to tag along we maybe able to share a lift as we are A470 buddies 😀

tollah
    Free Member

Tricky, sure have but of it’s raining I’m not playing! Mtfu yes yes yes I know…..

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Steve and Tricky … more than welcome, It’s not my gig, I just look like I’m in charge 😉

flatfish
    Free Member

All we need now, is a responsible adult.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

No good looking at me … I’m like Peter Pan (only without the slightly strange outfit).

tollah
    Free Member

(only without the slightly strange outfit).

Points and laughs at Stu, you look lime that without an outfit??

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

… and with the outfit I’m obviously just me dressed like a nob 😀

valleydaddy
    Free Member

as long as you are warm who cares??

Ambrose

Just ordered my tarp, paracord and something else that I can’t remember.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Ambrose, a few lengths of shock cord might prove handy. I find some loops of elastic shock cord tied to the corners and sides of the tarp for the paracord to fasten to helps you get a tighter pitch.

tollah
    Free Member

I’ve got hammock coming as my back is fecked 😀

flatfish
    Free Member

**** off Sheldon, I want to be niche by myself. 😉

valleydaddy
    Free Member

which tarp did you go for Ambrose?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 347 total)

The topic ‘STW forum bivvy ride Dec 4th / 5th from Machynlleth.’ is closed to new replies.