STW Fantasy Vuelta 2019 / General Vuelta discussion thread

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • STW Fantasy Vuelta 2019 / General Vuelta discussion thread
  • nbt

Only a few days will the Vuelta kicks off. I don’t follow the cycling websites, but for me the shock news is that Sunweb’s GC lead leader is (as things stand) Wilco Kelderman – possibly related to the fact that Tom DuMoulin is off to Jumbo-Visma next year, despite having another year on his contract

Bardet has also said he won’t race again this year. A quick look at inrng.com shows that Landa is going to Bahrain Merida, Nibbles to Trek Segafredo, Mas to Movistar, Viviani to Cofidis and Quintana to Areka Samsic, though most of those had been talked about already IIRC?

Anyway the good news is that Velogames are running this one. I’ve set up the usual mini league, feel free to enter a team and have a bit of fun. Not all squads complete yet (in fact not many), and riders may change so keep checking back till the last minute

League Name: STW Fantasy Vuelta 2019
    League Code: 322641023

https://www.velogames.com/spain/2019/riders.php

I was going to say I fancy Sivakov for a podium, but he’s not yet been named. Maybe not riding?

Premier Icon timidwheeler
    Subscriber

Team Pie entered.

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

well done NBT – I’m in. Will prob forget to go back & edit so I’ll have 3 scoring riders (’til they crash out)

ABV

Are Movistar going to have even the slightest clue about tactics?

Place bets now..!

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

Movistar run 3 sets of tactics at once. Based on a shotgun they hope something hits!

Premier Icon andyflaw
    Subscriber

Entered as Benny’s Boys. Thanks

t3ap0t

Don’t think Sivakov is riding, too young for two GTs in a year. Geoghan Hart and Sosa co-leaders for Ineos I think.

Lopez and Roglic got to be the favourites. Astana have a team packed with strong climbers.

nbt

Mid week bump with some info courtesy of CyclingTips.com

The race begins with a Team Time Trial in Torrevieja, with an ITT in Frace – From Jurancon to Pau (just like the ITT in the TDF this year!)

There are eight uphill finishes in this year’s race.

Of those eight, three come in the first week, four come in the second, and just one comes in the final week.

Here are the stages with uphill finishes:

Stage 5: The first summit finish, with a final climb of 11.1km at an average of 7.8%.
    Stage 6: A 7.9km rise at 5% after a hilly day.
    Stage 7: A short but steep final climb (4.1km at 12.3%) on a day with four climbs.
    Stage 9: Two big climbs, then the last 22km is mostly uphill (it ends with 5.7km at 8.3%).
    Stage 13: A day with seven climbs, including a 6.8km ascent at 9.2% (max 25%) to finish.
    Stage 15: Four mountains, concluding with a tough 7.9km at 9.7%.
    Stage 16: 144km, three mountains, and the final climb is 17.8km at 6.2% (see below).
    Stage 20: Six climbs, the last of which is 3.5km at 7% (after a stepwise final 10km).
    Alto De La Cubilla

The other stage likely to have an impact on the GC is Stage 18 in central Spain, which features FOUR Cat 1 climbs
    Big day out

>>>>>

In other news, Ineos have confirmed their lineup and as @t3ap0t said, no Sivakov. Wout Poels confirmed as co-leader with Geogehan-Hart, which is great news for those of us who’ve admired Poels for some time.

mogrim

The other stage likely to have an impact on the GC is Stage 18 in central Spain, which features FOUR Cat 1 climbs

I’ve done all of those this year, Morcuera-Cotos is a classic (and excellent!) route for the riders round here.

Just as excitingly, the whole thing kicks off in the town where I’ve got a holiday flat, so you can guess where I’m going this weekend 🙂

nbt

I would like the TV coverage to feature a large pair of bombers being enthusiastically waved

Premier Icon robbo1234biking
    Subscriber

I’m in. Surprisingly open this year so a good opportunity for someone to win a Grand Tour.

Will be at the side of the road on stages 5 and 6 as they’re not far from home. The climb to the observatory on Javalambre is new and spectacular. Stage 7’s finish is absolutely brutal, 3km of ropey concrete road with ramps of 20-25%, watched there 2 years ago when Froome was mugged by Quintana, only time I’ve seen pros off and walking.

Bunnyhop

Thanks nbt. You are the Vuelta’s version of Lunge.

All round to Mogrim’s next week.

Premier Icon sparksmcguff
    Subscriber

I’m hoping that the Cumbrian lad Knox (dqs) is allowed to ride for himself on some of the stages. He’s not had the luckiest year so far but is promising.

Bunnyhop

It’s taken a while to choose my team, but I think I’ll stick with it now.
    Come on Hugh (I can see a stage win).

nbt

Friday morning reminder – the rider list has been updated so if you’ve already entered a team, check to see if you need to swap riders (or if you just want to, I’m currently on about the fifteenth minor change)

Premier Icon timidwheeler
    Subscriber

Carapaz out after a crash. I suppose there’s one advantage of having three team leaders.

Klunk

wonder what the odds are for Roglic to be in red for the entire tour ?

nbt

timidwheeler wrote:

Carapaz out after a crash. I suppose there’s one advantage of having three team leaders.

Really? Bugger, I’ve got some serious refactoring to do now then 🙁

mogrim

All round to Mogrim’s next week.

🙂

grantyboy

what’s the deal for TV highlights this year, anything on ITV4???

nbt

highlights at 7pm on ITV4 everyday. no live coverage, sadly

hels

I’m picking George Bennett for the win – but thats based mostly on patriotism!

Premier Icon swavis
    Subscriber

I’m in. Really missed the fantasy league element at the Tour.

nbt

Friday evening bump.

spekkie

The closest they come to us is about 3hrs east in Andorra and 3 hrs north west in Pau. We will have it live on tv every afternoon though 🙂

nbt

@spekkie are you somewhere near Vielha then?

dirtyrider

carnage in the TTT – Jumbo stack it

mogrim

Enjoyed watching the TTT, but damn they’re fast – we were standing at the exit to the first 90º right hander, and even so they’re were past us in a second! Still good fun to watch though.

nbt

Been an interesting race so far, loads of GC action already – this has been one of the best Grand Tour years that I’ve watched with the Giro and the Tour, the Vuelta could be better than both!

ps anyone else wondering if the “accidental” popping of the paddling pool might have been “accidentall” done by someone who favoured certain riders?

Valverde really is an odious **** isnt he, I wonder if the truth will come out when Quintana leaves.

mogrim

Not sure what Valverde’s done to earn your hate a_a, didn’t see the interview with him yesterday. But that was a cracking stage, would love to have a go at that climb!

Well constantly attacking your team mate over a number of grand tours and then pacing the race favourite who rides for another team away from him is certainly a dick move.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Well constantly attacking your team mate over a number of grand tours and then pacing the race favourite who rides for another team away from him is certainly a dick move.

Or, making a move for yourself to win the race overall ? It’s surely two sides of the same coin. He wasn’t attacking his team-mate, he was attacking everyone. Sure he towed Roglic up but that’s not his fault is it ? That’s down to Roglic not taking a turn.

Just keeps getting better as he gets older.

Hmmm.

Analysis: The curious case of Alejandro Valverde

He wasn’t attacking his team-mate, he was attacking everyone.

He was attacking his team mate and as his team mate was at the front this would include everyone.

Sure he towed Roglic up but that’s not his fault is it ? That’s down to Roglic not taking a turn.

It is his fault anyone with a conscience or half a brain would have sat on Roglic as he had most to gain, a stage win wasnt possible.

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

He probably thought it was acceptable now, seeing as Froome set the precedent against his team-mate G, last year? But is Valverde odious because he’s a doped up foreigner whereas Froome is a true-blue Brit, and honest as the day is long. 😄

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

It’s the standard Movistar MO. No-one really understands it, I doubt if they do.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.