Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • STW COMMUNITY – HELP NEEDED
  • wheelsonfire1

I started a thread (STW What if?)a few weeks ago to try and help one of our members who is in need. It was intended to be anonymous but unfortunately the person got named. There were lots of people willing to chip in. The thread then disappeared – I’ve just found half of it “awaiting moderation”?
    Anyway here is my appeal again after lengthy correspondence with the person involved who many of you may know.
    If you can chip in to help with his debts it would be great, a one off or regular contribution to help lift some of the pressure that he feels. He could then concentrate on his mental health and start building back, he is possibly embarrassed but he has helped plenty of people in the past.
    Please contact gnusmas by direct message and he’ll send you some details of where you can deposit.
    Please contribute in a positive fashion!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Hey.

it was me who got that thread closed, I don’t know if my message stayed up or was trimmed off.

BAsically I said that It was a bit unfair to have the discussion without the person in question being actively involved/consulted.

I’m sorry that it got shut down but it had already got a bit “discussing someone behind their back”

I absolutely was not questioning your intent.

When I get paid I will happily contribute.

wheelsonfire1

Cheers mate, no problem! It would be nice if the moderators (I know they’re busy and volunteers) just sent an explanatory note as to why.

wheelsonfire1

Bumpity bump for all you weekend warriors now back at your desks! Could those of you who expressed support in the “disappeared” thread consider this new appeal and spread the love?

5plusn8
    Free Member

Me, I said I would help, I can’t find the thread or content, how do I contribute?

wheelsonfire1

@5plusn8 contact gnusmas by direct message and hopefully he’ll pass PayPal or bank details on. The thread is in a moderators locker as far as I can find out! Thank you.

wheelsonfire1

Hey you friendly (mostly) people, we’re up and running again and lets help each other out. Chip in or just send a positive message all welcome. I have a great faith in STW as a disparate but supportive community who come together in times of need. I relate it to my 32 years as a Firefighter when you’d have people who you hated and they probably hated you but at a job when it was a bit nasty you’d work together very amicably. Weird, but very human.

Ambrose

Does Gnusmas know about this? Asking for a friend.

I noted that the thread had been pulled but didn’t follow it up with the mods. Is/ could/ should there be a function that notifies participants in a thread that activity has been forcibly closed?

Cougar

I missed the original thread, but is this not served better by some sort of visible GoFundMe or similar rather than seat-of-the-pants PMs?

wheelsonfire1

@Ambrose yes, he does, it is very sensitive but I relate it to my fire service life. The Benevolent Fund didn’t only exist for injury type problems but also for people on hard times and grants were available. This could be a cycling version?

wheelsonfire1

@Cougar that may be an option but I’m not that switched on with that so please feel free to help. I’m only trying to do something kind.

Cougar

Oh, no, don’t get me wrong, it was intended as a suggestion rather than a criticism. That’s a lovely thing to do.

Setting up a fundraising page isn’t hard, my girlfriend made one recently and technology typically spontaneously combusts when she’s in the same room.

https://www.gofundme.com/en-gb

https://www.justgiving.com/

And several others.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Has a fund been set up for this?

wheelsonfire1

I haven’t yet, broken ankle, a dog that’s only on three legs and a wife having an operation has scuppered my spare time at the moment. I will probably have time after the weekend but time is of the essence- a supportive message will probably help too if funds are tight.

Ambrose

Only just seen this. Sometimes we need to pull together a bit. Carmarthen is close to work/ home and I always like a cup of tea.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.