• This topic has 617 replies, 63 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by kennyp.
Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 618 total)
  • STW Chess Tournament – anyone up for it?
  • ctk
    Free Member
    ctk
    Free Member

Does that link work? Some terrible mistakes I’m sure but a very satisfying denouement 🙂

richwales

There is 3 spare places for anyone who didn’t enter STW T5 but wants in this tournament.

Invite accepted if there’s still space.
    Cheers

irc

In so far for T6 are
    chessron99
    Django2357
    Aide46
    dannybgoode
    vince2638

@Richwales
    you are showing as a pending invitation. Try going to

https://www.chess.com/tournament/stw-t6

and clicking “join”.

Still spaces for anyone else that missed T5 and wants in.

kennyp
    Free Member

If it’s possible to enter both (given I’m getting a kicking in T5) I’d be in. But no worries if not.

irc

@kennyp

Go for it.

kennyp
    Free Member

Tried to join but it says it’s invite only?

ctk
    Free Member

I’m in T5 but would join T6 if poss am getting the same invite only msg as kennyp.

Chess.com username is JeremyDog

irc

@ctk invited.

@kennyp
    chess.com username?

kennyp
    Free Member

It’s kprook.

irc

@kennyp

Invited. Thought you were kprook but your “getting a kicking” comment didn’t square with your slight positional advantage (IMO) in your game against me!

Leaves 1 place for anyone not currently playing in STW5 or STW6 who wants a game.

crazy-legs

Had a great game against @dti (dtcaban on chess.com) in the STW round. Thought I had a fairly quick checkmate then he escaped that and gave a really good runaround! Looking forward to the second game.

ctk
    Free Member

@irc – Thanks

irc

May be a bit slower moving in STW5. Have ended up with 31 daily games ongoing. As new rounds started and tournaments I joined started faster than expected. Having a few ‘mares with higher graded players.

crazy-legs

@irc – yep, the initial flurry of moves on the Championship tournament got a bit OTT but it’s calmed down a bit now. There’s a few people in the round who are going to time out, I’m sure.

I’ve set a small block of time each morning and evening to have a look and move but I’ve turned off the notifications and I’m not going to respond to each individual move immediately, I’d be on the phone all day!

dannybgoode

Aye I am in the big tournie also. Luckily the grouping gods have been kind and I may win a game or too. My lot seem keen though – no one in danger of timing out I don’t think…

EDIT – loks like 3 or 4 maybe will time out in my group in the early stages. Could be fun though – nice mix of ability in mine…

irc

@crazy-legs

Same here. I’ve maade a move in every game. Not looking at them again until I’m at work tonight.

kennyp
    Free Member

Invited. Thought you were kprook but your “getting a kicking” comment didn’t square with your slight positional advantage (IMO) in your game against me!

Are you just trying to lull me into a false sense of security? (-:

Okay the “kicking” thing was a bit premature but it will happen I’m fairly sure. I quite often get into this situation where I reach a position that should give me a small advantage. However I’m rubbish at coming up with plans to press home that advantage. All the while I’m wondering what fiendish cunning moves my opponents are plotting. Which I guess is one of the things that makes chess such fun.

crewlie

Is that place still open in T6, no worries if not.

irc

STW6 started.

@crewlie

Apologies. Didn’t see your comment until after I started it.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Thanks for this. The table is visible, but the games greyed out – should I be able to make moves yet? Apologies for my ignorance.

irc

@gauss1777

The games shouldn’t be greyed out. Having had a google it looks like there is sometimes server issues at Chess.com that cause stafrting problems. If it doesn’t auotstart overnight I’ll cancel all players and create a different tournament for the current players + Crewlie.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Thank you irc. I’ll let you know if things change for me.

dannybgoode

Yeah I got the message saying the tournie had started but can’t see any games at all…

crazy-legs

The server is massively overloaded. Took nearly 3hrs for all my Tournament games to appear and then the moves were sometimes not registering, it would say “server unavailable”.

I think the Daily Play Championship thing going on at the moment is far and away the biggest tournament they’ve ever held and it’s noticeably slowed it all down. Even the timed-out games weren’t showing for ages – the clock would be on zero but it took another hour for the notification to come through saying I’d won on time.

Give it a bit, it’ll work eventually!

crewlie

Cheers @irc  I’ll keep an eye on what’s happening

gauss1777
    Free Member

Thanks crazy-legs. Makes sense.

gauss1777
    Free Member

All good now for me and I’ve made the moves I can. No marks for creativity, originality or bravery however!

vinnyeh

we’re playing both colours /double the matches simultaneously. Was that intentional?

Apologies to those that I was playing against in the last tournament, when I had to abandon unexpectedly and was unable able to warn/update. I’m sure the results weren’t any different than they would have been…

irc

we’re playing both colours /double the matches simultaneously. Was that intentional?

Nope. Default is one game at a time for each opponent. Either I changed that in error when setting up other parameters or is was to do with the chess.com server problems yesterday.

crazy-legs

Agree with your opponent which one to concentrate on and play that. So long as you make at least one move per 24hrs in the other one, it’ll sit there with no issues until you’ve finished Game A and are ready to start properly on Game B.

It does get confusing playing both colours at once, I’ve messed up more than one move in the past by thinking I’m in one game and not the other!

dti

I’m in for t6
    Thanks

dti

Dtcaban on chess.com

irc

I have a tournament with both games at once. To make it potentially more awkward it is a prescribed opening. IE you start with a couple of moves already there. Scandanavian in this case.

I make a point of branching off fairly soon rather than keep both games close together. Then there is 4 other players. So I had 8 games with the same opening starting at once! Three days per move though which helps.

richwales

Not sure what’s going on in T6 but I’ve got 13 games ongoing and have already lost one as it timed out after 5 times?

gauss1777
    Free Member

I am thoroughly enjoying tournament 6 at the moment. The level seems pretty consistent in each game, which appears to help. I’ve made some outrageously dodgy moves, and got myself into so many tortuous positions – great fun.
    Being the only chess I play, I’d be happy with continuous STW tournaments 😀

crazy-legs

Being the only chess I play, I’d be happy with continuous STW tournaments 😀

The general manners on STW seem better than other tournaments. This big one I’m in at the moment, I won 4 games on time-out without the other person making a single move, 4 games on time-out after the person made a few moves, realised they’re losing and just wandered off and I’m playing someone who is nominally about 800 and is playing like a grandmaster which is quite suspicious.

STW players have a better class about them I think. 🙂

Last game against @nosedive (T5) was good. The analysis really doesn’t like gambits, it always rates them very low so the opening position based on a Stafford rated me as having blunders before it all turned around later on.

gauss1777
    Free Member

I take it all back. Chess is shit!!

richwales

Apologies to whoever I’ve timed out against – it’s not intentional

crazy-legs

I’ve just won another two games on timeout. Shame, I was enjoying them – one I’d actually considered resigning in when my opponent made a genius move to capture my queen which I’d completely missed. I was a fair chunk of material down in that game, just hanging on and now I’ve won because he didn’t come back to it?!

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 618 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.