Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 160 total)
  • STW Chess
  • irc

@RamseyNeil

Invited.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I’ll play. Stevo_mcd . Chairlifts may be an issue. Rainy chairlifts by the looks of things. I need to steal one if those giant ESF capes.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Just noticed how close T10 is, with stevo playing king maker in the final game – exciting stuff 😁

gauss1777
    Free Member

JeremyDog, you must be laughing yourself silly. For once I thought I had the upper hand against you and you go and sucker punch me 😂.

ctk
    Free Member

Yeah kind of fell into place without much planning. I seem to run hot and cold.

Congrats on T10A – I may have won the battle, but you won the war!

gauss1777
    Free Member

Congrats on T10A – I may have won the battle, but you won the war!

Thanks. I was very lucky, with a couple of games to go I thought you would win by half a point. But, a game I’d presumed lost, turned totally around. T10A was close all over, with pretty much anyone able to take points off anyone else. It’s made it thoroughly enjoyable.

ctk
    Free Member

Yep really good tournament.

irc

Some tough games in STW Solstice. I feel a loss or two coming my way.

And I see the Inaugural STW tournament, started just over 2 years ago is still running! One game still going.

@Stevomcd

Apologies. I just noticed you had asked to join the current tournament before it started.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Sorry to say this but IRC you are devaluing the latest STW tournament . A player with a 1500 rating does not lose his queen in 3 games with stupid mistakes like you have made . That’s beginner level stuff.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Sorry that should say 2 games . Can you not edit posts on the forum these days .

appltn

You’re upset with someone for making bad moves? Playing against me must’ve made you absolutely furious.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Ha ha . Being upset with somebody making a bad moves is one thing . I realise that I will probably get flamed for saying what I said but I wouldn’t accuse somebody of not trying if I was in doubt . Shame that I can’t count to 2 without getting it wrong .

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

OMG I totally apologise to IRC . He lost his queen once not 3 or 2 times . I obviously can’t count and need to make sure I am correct before throwing around unfounded serious allegations . Happy new year everybody . Please go easy on me IRC in our ongoing game .

crazy-legs

OMG I totally apologise to IRC . He lost his queen once not 3 or 2 times . I obviously can’t count and need to make sure I am correct before throwing around unfounded serious allegations . Happy new year everybody . Please go easy on me IRC in our ongoing game .

Haha!
    To be fair, everyone makes blunders. I’ve had some absolute clangers in some of my 10-min Rapid games…

I’m in the chess.com Daily Play 2023 Championship tournament which starts tomorrow. I did the 2022 one and got through the first 2 or 3 rounds quite well. Then I came up against the 2000+ players and got annihilated!

gauss1777
    Free Member

To be fair, everyone makes blunders.

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone who is likely playing several games at the same time, let’s their guard down a touch, when playing opponents 400 points below them.

I had 2 queens (almost a 3rd) against ctk and he still beat me! 😭😭

irc

Sorry to say this but IRC you are devaluing the latest STW tournament

Apologies for not maintaining my usual standards. I have a tendency to be a bit casual when playing 20 odd games at once. I don’t even have the excuse of being on a ski lift.

Though in fact over the last 30 days my rating is up 35 so I must be playing to my grading despite the odd horrendous blunder.

https://www.chess.com/member/irc1979

Grading differences aside many of the players in this latest STW tournament have been very solid.

kennyp
    Free Member

Well that’s 2023 off to a great start……not!

Managed to lose one of my STW games in just 6 moves. Here’s a handy chess hint. Don’t try to play when you’ve been indulging in New Year festivities!!

gauss1777
    Free Member

As T10 is complete, T10a and the winter solstice tournaments draw to an end, is it now time for another tournament?

If so, I’m keen.

🙂

irc

Ok. STW10a has finished. Just a few games left in the Solstice.

Anybody interested inan STW January tournament

Add Chess.com user names to thread.

Going with 1 day per move again unless majority would prefer 2 days? Perhaps add a vote for 1 or 2 days with your username

crazy-legs

Did you see the article on chessm.com about how overloaded they are now, there are millions of new members! Reckoned that there were about 50,000 moves a second being played at the busiest times. 😳

I got through Round 1 of the Daily Championship thing, won all my games which makes me sound better than I actually am – one was that I won most on timeout; two, I was the highest ranked in the group so some games were a walkover. I do wonder why players ranked 300 sign up for a Championship…

Bit of a pause now while the rest of the games finish then onto Round 2…

fruitbat

Yes pleaze for STW January tournament.

Username – KevinPhilipsBong

Happy with 1 day per move.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Me too please. Django2357 on chess.com

1 day per move is ideal for me.

sillysilly
    Free Member

Yes please: sillysillystw

irc

Yes. I got the server overload message when playing a move in the pub this afternoon.

kennyp
    Free Member

I’m in. It’s kprook.

irc

OK. Invites out. As well as replies to this thread I sent invites to anyone in the STW Solstice and @stevomcd. Starting 30th January. Currently set up as one group of 12. If we get more than 12 players I’ll split it into two groups.

Called this one the Spassky tournament as his birthday is 30th January. An early chess memory was being on a camping holiday in Quebec during the Fischer – Spassky match. No TV access. So my dad bought a paper ever day and played through the moves of the previous day’s game on a board at our campsite.

aide

Joined up, thanks for the invite

gauss1777
    Free Member

Cheers irc

kennyp
    Free Member

Has there been a wee hitch with this? I thought it was supposed to start yesterday? Mind you I’ve had a few instances of “Sorry, our servers are overloaded” messages popping up on chess.com recently.

irc

My mistake. Slipped my mind. Been spending much time running back and forward to hospital after Mrs IRC was admitted by her GP on Friday. I shall start it now.

dti

Am i too layte ?

Dtcaban on chess.com

kennyp
    Free Member

My mistake. Slipped my mind. Been spending much time running back and forward to hospital after Mrs IRC was admitted by her GP on Friday. I shall start it now.

Hope she’s doing okay.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I missed this . If it hasn’t started yet I will give it a go if you’ll have me after my earlier outburst .

irc

@KennyP Looking better now. A visit to GP last Friday ended with admission that night. MRI scan Monday, operation on spine (lumbar decompression) today. While I gather it is a relatively routine operation any surgery has risks etc.

While I thought I was handling it fairly well I realised I was blundering regularly in some of my online games. Luckily by random chance I was on days off Fri -Tues. Nightshift Wed Thu and have the weekend covered with time off.

But surgeon says operation went as planned. Expect her home tomorrow or Saturday.

@dti
    &

@RamseyNeil
    Sorry. Tournamnet has started.

PS @RamseyNeil No apology required. I need to confess to blundering another queen in a current non STW game. But as per first paragraph I guess my mind was elsewhere.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

No worries .Totally my fault . I’ll be in next time

gauss1777
    Free Member

Enjoying the solstice tournament.

I’m having a strange glitch where after playing my move against chessron99, I then see his next game/board. Anyone know anything about this?

irc

Chess.com seems a bit glitchy now and then. Issues I have had have been resolved either by reloading in a different window or using a different browser. Had to use the alt browser a few times when using android Firefox and it wouldn’t let me Queen a pawn. Logged in on Microsoft edge and made the move with no issues.

crazy-legs

Chess.com seems a bit glitchy now and then.

I lost my entire account. It was being quite glitchy – refusing to process moves and so on, it’d sometimes take a few attempts to actually get a move to work. Then one day I had an email from chess.com saying corrupted account and closed for security reasons.

It include steps on how to set up a new account which I did and it allowed me to transfer my old friends list across but I lost my entire game history, my position in the Daily Play Championship Tournament and my ranking. And my previous Gold level subscription. So far no response as to what happened or if I can get my ranking and subscription reinstated. Not played at all since then. 🙁

stevomcd
    Free Member

Missed the last tournament due to a combo of a busy winter season and the arrival of a new small human to our household. He isn’t showing much interest in chess, bikes or snowboards yet, but his time will come, I’m sure. Happy to get involved again now that season is over and I have plenty of opportunity of being awake in the wee, small hours!

I was running a course in Switzerland back in January. There was a weird-looking chess set lying around in our favourite apres pub and I ended up playing a couple of (real life! with a board!) games with it’s owner and got the story:

Quirky chess set 1

Quirky chess set 2

This guy was travelling in Africa in a camper van when covid hit. He got stuck somewhere isolated with very little to do. Another dude in the same situation played a bit of chess. So they made a set out of nuts and bolts they had lying around so that they could pass the time.

Fun games. I won both despite having consumed a significant amount of post-snowboard beer so all the online training must be paying off!

stevomcd
    Free Member

BTW, STW Tournament #1 quietly finished recently! After a mere 2 and a bit years!

Epynt a worthy winner. Joint second for myself.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 160 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.