Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • STW chargeable Ads, a PSA
  • involver
    Free Member

There are reputable ad providers. Clearly STW aren’t using them. Sort it out or people will vote with their feet.

Cougar

I’m sure STW would love to hear which “reputable” providers you’d recommend. (Seriously.)

sarawak
    Free Member

STW’s approach to this forum is thought by many to be less than reputable.

Drac

STW’s approach to this forum is thought by many to be less than reputable.

You’re welcome to leave at anytime.

Cougar

We’ve just been discussing how ads are delivered. I’ve got two take-aways:

1) For all practical purposes, 100% of adverts on STW currently are served via a dodgy fly-by-night company you’ve probably never heard of named Google.

2) How all this hangs together is really, really complicated.

scotroutes

We’ve just been discussing how ads are delivered. I’ve got two take-aways:

Aye  – for a kebab and a poke of chips you’ll say anything.

Drac

You should see what he does if you add alcohol,

ransos
    Free Member

I see that the mods are again splitting their time between defending STW and saying that its operation is nothing to do with them.

Drac

So what exactly do you expect the mods to do Ransos?

bearnecessities

It would probably help if you didn’t wade in, for any good intentions that may be intended. It just muddies the water.

And please send Mikewsmith a warning to stop being such a ruddy bore. Just find a reason. Anything. In fact I think he touched me once.

leffeboy

Buy a sub or go Opera.

Opera contains an adblocker of course 🙂

I love this site, I’m very happy to pay for it and have that shit go away

edit:

“I’ve got two take-aways:”

You see, that’s exactly the sort of line I’m happy to pay more.  More please 🙂

Greybeard
    Free Member

@kelron

Turning it off won’t prevent this as they’re using a method where charges are made directly to your mobile account

Thanks, I’m trying to get my head round this. So if you haven’t enabled purchases, and your browser don’t have permission to use the phone, how do they even know your phone number to charge you? Can they do it when you’re on WiFi? I will get my phone provider to block, but I’m interested in how the ads do it.

Cougar

I see that the mods are again splitting their time between defending STW and saying that its operation is nothing to do with them.

Its operation is nothing to do with us.

Heaven forfend that we might actually be trying to obtain and provide you with information though. I could just leave you to your echo chamber if you’d prefer?

ransos
    Free Member

So what exactly do you expect the mods to do Ransos?

You do seem to act as cheerleaders for STW. You can’t have it both ways.

ransos
    Free Member

Its operation is nothing to do with us.

Please show me where I have ever said otherwise.

Cougar

Umm… in the quote I, er, quoted?

If that wasn’t your point then I’ve completely missed what you were trying say, sorry.

ransos
    Free Member

Umm… in the quote I, er, quoted?

We must have different views on what “saying” means.

Drac

You do seem to act as cheerleaders for STW.

I provided what info I could to RussyH he found it useful. That’s made me happy.

ransos
    Free Member

I provided what info I could to RussyH he found it useful. That’s made me happy.

I’m commenting on how you and cougar come across, to me. Others may have a different view

Cougar

You do seem to act as cheerleaders for STW.

What things may “seem” aside, all I’m trying to do is correct misunderstandings and dispel untruths. If my posts not fitting with a few folks’ perpetual narrative that everything is shit and STW is a bunch of underhand scammers who’d sell their own grannies for a click-through is me “cheerleading” than so be it.

Point of note here (although I really don’t know why I’m bothering) is that Moderators aren’t in any way encouraged to put any sort of spin on posts or otherwise “cheerlead.” When I agreed to the gig several years ago I was asked not to publicly slag off the site, but that’s as far as any sort of content control has ever been exercised.

You can’t have it both ways.

Have what both ways?

Cougar

We must have different views on what “saying” means.

I’ve still no idea what you’re talking about, sorry.

Drac

I’m commenting on how you and cougar come across, to me. Others may have a different view

🤔

Mark

I’ve been filling the mods in on the workings behind the scenes – Give them a break. they are trying to help with information. Asking questions, getting answers and then shouting down the messenger is hardly productive.

Anyway, in order to redirect the ire away from our volunteers, as Cougar said, our ads are delivered by Google. The way ads circulate through their system is complex to say the least. We use a company called Streamamp who simply manage our Google account on our behalf – they don’t pick the ads, that’s entirely down to Google and their algorithm. Rogue ads creep into the system and when they do we report them up the chain – firstly to Streamamp who then contact their direct account manager at Google and between us all we try and find the culprit. That’s what we have done here. This issue appears to also include factors related to mobile network providers and their charging mechanisms and so it’s especially complex.

As for not using dodgy ad networks I’m not sure where else to go beyond Google. We are using the same ad supply sources as pretty much the entire media publishing world.

BTW. I hate programmatic network ads (That’s what these are). I hate that they are a vital revenue source for us and I continue, every day, to try and build better ways to earn our money so I can one day turn them the **** off! Turning them off now though is a job losing move and I rather like employing the people I do. They are good people trying to create stuff you like. So, at least aim your complaints at those of us that earn our living doing this and please give the volunteer moderators a break. This place would be much the poorer without them.

My email is easy. mark@singletrackworld.com But if the mods keep getting abuse I’ll be the one banning the abusers.

ransos
    Free Member

Asking questions, getting answers and then shouting down the messenger is hardly productive.

I guess people do that because you are so rarely here.

perchypanther
    Free Member

*shouts upstairs*

”THAT’S THE TAKE AWAY BEEN DELIVERED”

bearnecessities

Can hardly blame him.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and so the cycle begins, nobody could remember how it started or what it was all about but it just kept going

Drac

So, where did he touch you?

scotroutes

Outside the pub in CentreParcs

bearnecessities

Using his opinion as a measure, bloody everywhere.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bearnecessities

Continue making this place a nice place to visit Mike.

Cougar

I cannot possibly fathom why that might be the case.

Sandwich

Google reputable, in which alternate universe? We are all seeing the news on huge EU fines for this ‘reputable’ company?

Drac

Outside the pub in CentreParcs

#youtoo

ransos
    Free Member

I cannot possibly fathom why that might be the case.

I expect it’s because the forum doesn’t work very well.

Mark

Oh I’m always here Ransos.
    Unfortunately, so are you.

squirrelking
    Free Member

And yet, so many queries go unanswered whilst the two (visible) mods take one for the team.

Still waiting for an official response to the stuff Chipps took down, I believe that was around Christmas?

Can you see why people may get a teensy bit annoyed by that?

Mark

I’m not entering into debate on here. It’s unproductive, unpleasant and unhealthy. I’m happy to answer direct emails from any of our subscribers tho.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As productive as telling people individually could you update the our Forum page with the current update on the progress on fixing a lot of the issues. Also an update as to your plans for the Forum History section as the current one is plainly speaking useless.

Thanks

A Subscriber.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.