Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Stw but for computers
  • Premier Icon el_boufador
    Subscriber

Youngest wants a computer for Christmas, need some advice on the build. What’s like stw but for computers? (But with less arguments 😁)

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

I think there’s some IT people on here.

Premier Icon el_boufador
    Subscriber

Yeah I’m allegedly one of them. NFI about this though. IT’s a broad church. I’ll post the question up here too

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I think there’s some IT people on here.

null

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

How old is the youngest, what are they wanting / expecting to do with it, how much money have you got?

marcg868

Ocuk forums (overclockers) is great for computer builds. Forum has loads of information and it’s easy to use.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

There’s also pc gamers on here too, I was once one but switched to console only so I’m way out of touch.

Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

I second overclockers. I’ve been a member on there for years though not too active these days.

Very knowledgeable bunch.

Mega strict mods (dons they call them there) though so beware and read the rules! The classifieds is very good to. Habitual upgraders same as here.👍

Premier Icon el_boufador
    Subscriber

thanks, will look at overclockers. Spent the last 30 mins typing this question out so may aswell ask here too I suppose:

Looking for some advice on a computer build for my Son for christmas. He’s 10 and very technically (using them) computationally and mathematically minded (loves games and also creating things in Kodu, scratch etc). He’s only limited knowledge about hardware though, so this is a good opportunity for him to learn.
    He wants a gaming PC, the cost of which when spread over time (multiple Xmases, birthdays, pocket money etc) is fine. However there’s no way he’s getting a mega cash splurge in one hit! It will be good for him to work towards something over time.
    So, my overall strategy to resolve this will be to start small and build up (if this is feasible).
    The general plan is for this Xmas, is to either build or buy an initial base spec PC which is future proof enough to upgrade into a moderately good gaming PC over the next several years. Eventually it would be good to know it can do the latest stuff like 4k gaming and VR. He won’t care about things like frame rate and resolution at the moment, but I can certainly see him becoming increasingly interested in computing and gaming over time because of his character and interest in it (keen to support him in this, at least the more useful technical/learning aspects!)

I’ve built PCs from scratch several times before – not for a few years mind (life gets in the way). I have no idea about gaming though (either games or what hardware runs them best/most cost effectively – I’d love to but no time!)

I am open to either building or buying off-the-shelf the initial machine. However I do wonder whether I would find an off the shelf machine which was future proof (e.g. PSU with enough power to meet the eventual demands, and so on). The counter to this I guess is I know I can just switch a pre-built on and it will work (rather than risking a disappointed boy on Xmas morning)

My thoughts on the initial build :

Case: Whatever’s cheapish and he likes the look of. Plenty of space in his room, so probably an ATX mid tower. Possibly a full tower.

PSU: Relatively quiet and over-specc’d in terms of wattage to cover future needs

Mobo: to fit the case. Probably ATX for expansion. Onboard graphics – see below

RAM: 1 stick of 4GB for now (tightfisted?) intend to expand to 16 in future?

HDD: Whatever is best bang per buck. He won’t need loads of storage so 512GB? Probably start with one mechanical drive. This is one area where I think it may be better to up the budget and get an SDD to start with to improve general usability and avoid future faff.

Processor: er, yes.

GPU: To start with, can I get away with using the mobo onboard graphics? He’ll be playing minecraft, some steam games he’s already bought. I think it will be OK to have the settings turned down.
    Another option is that I have an ASUS GTX750TI 2GB I could donate from another machine if there’s any benefit

Mouse/keyboard: Already got some basic ones can re-use

Monitor: Propose to save some cash and buy 1080p 2nd hand. Can probably find another low res VGA monitor in the loft for a basic twin screen setup.

So, questions:

1) Is this plan a good/workable one? Or would other approaches be better.

2) If it’s feasible, any advice on the component choices? I am very out of touch. Bang for buck and future proofness are key requirements.
    There is no particular fixed budget but without further analysis/sums as a real finger in the air I guess I am aiming for about £400 initial build. If it goes above this for good reasons (e.g. better future orospects) then that may be acceptable (he’ll be paying for some of it with his pocket money savings by the way – £400 too much for a 10 yr old Xmas present IMO!)

Rob Hilton

He’s only limited knowledge about hardware though, so this is a good opportunity for him to learn.

Old kit + your knowledge and he can merrily strip & re-build, learn the progressions of slots, chipsets etc.
    and get clued up about overclocking without risk of breaking spangly new stuff.

TheBrick

Don’t bother with 4GB sticks of ram. 8GB minimum then depending on ramslots you should be able to upgrade to a decent amount of ram. My laptop is 32Gb ram and I would not go for less than 16gb on a work computer. I don’t know the gaming requirements but I would have thought 8Gb would be minimum.

Premier Icon howsyourdad1
    Subscriber

If it is an Ipad question I know who I would ask

schrickvr6

Not sure what it’s like these days but Hexus.net was my go to.

Rob Hilton

I would not go for less than 16gb on a work computer

That’s what I thought, but my workplace being an absolute shambles I had to buy my own so went for 8gb. Its great for everyday stuff and runs Power BI & Tableau no problem.

schrickvr6

A few things, get a single 8gb stick then add another to go dual channel, and an ATX mobo won’t support onboard graphics so use the old card for now. Definitely get an SSD, with a 480gb for just over £40 or 240gb for £25 it would be crazy not to. As far as CPU it’s hard to see past AMD Ryzen right now, in terms of bang for buck they’re killing it.

fatdaddy

Where abouts are you?

I have a lot of spare bits knocking about from previous upgrades, including a recent GTX 1060 which will serve you very well @ 1080p

Basically I have everything except a case and HDD.

Including a water cooled circuit, 6th Gen i5 (can’t remember the series), 16gb DDR3 memory, GTX 1060. £400. If you’re local to the Wiltshire/Hampshire area that is. There’s no way I’m sending it through the post!

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I’m also after spare GFX gaming cards if anyone has them?

TheBrick

Good deal up there. He will love the water cooling stuff too.

Premier Icon el_boufador
    Subscriber

Cheers all, gives me a bit of confidence I’m along the right lines. Thanks for the offer fatdaddy, in in Leeds though so too far I’m afraid.

Will look I to the Ryzen processors. What’s hot / budget in the range ? Need to start understanding them!

mattyfez

You’ll get more detailed advice on ocuk if you post a thread in the new to gaming /upgrade advice forum.

Ryzen is well worth a look but I’m out of touch with the product lineup.

It makes things easier and cheaper of your gaming at standard HD 1080p resolutions rather than 1440 or 4k, so that alone will help narrow down what sort of hardware you need to achive an average of 60 frames per second or more.

For example a midrange graphics card second hand like an nvidia 1060 or radion rx 580 will play pretty much anything fine at a resolution of 1080p, (go for the 6gb or 8gb versions though)

If you go for a higher resolution monitor, you might want to consider a more beafy graphics card and CPU.

Most CPU’s and graphics cards are more power efficient than they used to be, so you don’t need a crazy wattage power supply, something in the range of 500 to 600 Watts should be plenty, and provide headroom for a higher end graphics card but look for quality/stability over claimed power. Expect to pay £50 or more depending.

For example I’m still running a corsair hx620w power supply, it’s over ten years old and will happily power and single graphics card pc.
    That cost about £90 back in the day though as it used really high quality parts.
    Total different kettle of fish to a ‘600w’ power supply that costs £30.

mattyfez

Also as above, ssd drives are pretty cheap at the moment, no reason not to get one.
    I wouldn’t bother with a traditional HDD these days unless you have some laying around, they are still good for bulk storage, downloads, music, general media storage but your main drive should be SSD. Even if its just a £30 240gb drive.

Ram, 8gb minimum, also as above get 1 8gb stick if budget is an issue and you can throw in another one to up it to 16gb later if needs be.

robowns

Spend the money on a half decent one release back gfx card like a Geforce 10xx, an SSD and 8gn RAM minimum (uber cheap now anyway).

The problem going super cheap with a view to upgrade means you’ll end up spending more in the long run and may have comparability issues, ie. wrong gpu socket/not enough power connectors on your PSU.

Second hand on eBay not a bad shout.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.