Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • STW bookclub
  • uphillcursing
    Free Member

It has been a while since i last saw a book thread. I am getting towards the end of Dune at the moment. One of those books i ought to have read but never got round to. Sadly after this there is nothing outstanding on the Kindle left to read.
    Anyone got any real page turning suggestions? Could be bio,fiction,non fiction dont really care just page turning, gripping adventue if at all possible.

Cheers,
    Uphill.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bravo two zero. Gets better with every read…..

clubber
    Free Member

Neal Asher, particularly the Cormac series

steeveydoesit
    Free Member

Any good bike related books anyone could recommend? I remember reading the “Fat Man On A Bike” books years ago, then wanting to bike across France 🙂

scotchegg
    Free Member

Dan Mills Sniper One is a great read for the lads.

Now get out to the shops lads and buy your SO’s the Fifty Shades trilogy………

Enough said.

stox
    Free Member

The Worst Journey in the Wirkd – Apsley Cherry-Gerrard.
    Even if you only read ‘The winter Journey’ chapter

steeveydoesit
    Free Member

Now get out to the shops lads and buy your SO’s the Fifty Shades trilogy………

My wife’s on the last book. Not looking forward to her running out of them :))

enzee199
    Free Member

Most good bike books are about Road racing, but two worth checking out are

1.) The Rider – Tim Krabbe

This is just excellent

2.) Rough Ride – Paul Kimmage

This is really illuminating on the subject of drugs in sport.

Talking of non-cycling reads I’ve just finished a book called E – the novel which is a truly hilarious take on work – told entirely through emails.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

The Worst Journey in the Wirkd – Apsley Cherry-Gerrard.
    Even if you only read ‘The winter Journey’ chapter

Thats a good one. So too is “The coldest march” by Susan Soloman. Not forgeting “South, shakelton” free for kndle too

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Wretched i-thingy. Inhate it

clubber
    Free Member

e as above is very funny as is the followup e². Both by Matt Beaumont

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Quite tempted by “rough ride”. Although I not long finished the David Millar auto and am not sure I am ready for another cycling story.

The Ghost runner was a the one i enjoyed most from the last book thread. Well worth a read.

Anymore suggestions?

sandwicheater

The forever war – Joe Halderman
    Starship Troopers – Robert Heinlein

monkeyboyjc

+1 for The forever war….

Also – Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan for a more modern classic sifi.

bigblackshed

Disturbing horrific crime????

Mo Hayder – Birdman.

redthunder
    Free Member

Shapres Rifles etc. Bernard Cornwell I think.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

ooohhh.. Heinlein, not read any of his for ages. Might have to look into that. Have read all the Sharpe books, tried one of his other characters in a medieval setting but didnt take to the main character.

Keep em coming.

GregMay
    Free Member

+2 for the Forrever War, just finished it this week…in less than 24 hours. Excellent read.

Reading Let My People Go Surfing at the moment, very interesting look at a company I’ve loved for years, Patagonia.

noteeth
    Free Member

Just finished: Your Face Tomorrow 1: Fever and Spear by Javier Marias. Interesting premise & full of interesting diversions (mostly about the Spanish Civil War), but occasionally something of a slog-fest…

Just started: Half of A Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie – vivid prose thus far, but it’s early days…

BristolPablo
    Free Member

reading a lot of John Irving at the moment, A Prayer for Owen Meany and Last Night in Twisted River are very good. Tend to mix fiction/non-fiction so will read something like this then Left for Dead, the story of the 79 Fastnet Race that ended in a huge storm, then maybe a Sebastian Faulks, then, because its tour season, something like Fignon’s autobiography or another cycling book. Enjoy Alexander Kent’s stuff which is quite throwaway but well written. For farce/comic stuff, Joseph Connolly is ace, SOS, Summer Things and Winter Things are as good as anything Wodehouse wrote….

craigxxl
    Free Member

Just on the last Harry Hole book in the series by Jo Nesbo. Enjoyed all the books as the characters develop. Might try Lee Childs next

grahamt1980

Rumo by Walter Moers

Its a bit out there but its an awesome book.
    Recommended by someone on here when I last asked about books.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Bravo two zero. Gets better with every read…..

If you like that type of book try General de la Billière biography

househusband

I get through audiobooks on my (car) commute each day, and have got through some cracking books – admittedly the narrator can make a big difference but the content itself is the same as the book;

‘The Woodcutter’ by Reginald Hill

‘Child 44’ (and then ‘The Secret Speech’ & ‘Agent 6’) by Tom Rob Smith

Pretty much anything by Jo Nesbo…

anagallis_arvensis

Currently reading Surface Detail by Ian M Banks which is good so far.

stayhigh

I’ve just finished reading the “Game of Thrones” series which I enjoyed a lot and have now moved onto the “The Man Who Cycled The World” by Mark Beaumont.

Prior to those I was reading Alastair Reynolds “Pushing Ice” and Laurence Rees “Nazi: A Warning From History”.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Cycling books I’d recommend

Dog in a hat, Joe Parkin

Merckx, half man half bike, Will Fotheringham

Fallen angel, Coppi book, Will Fotheringham

The escape artist, Matt Seaton

The Rider, Tim Krabbe

Slaying the Badger, Richard Moore

Around the world by bike 1+2 Alastair Humphreys

Non cycling but kinda

Iron War, Matt Fitzgerald

richc
    Free Member

Really? I have found all the one’s I’ve read pretty two dimensional and a bit simplistic, and some of it reads as though the author is fantasising like a teenager about how he envisages what he could have been if he was a troubled detective

May’ve they get better as I’ve only read the Leopard and the Redeemer

hels
    Free Member

To go way into the left field*, one of the most gripping books I have ever read was Wild Swans, written by Jung Chang about 3 generations of women, who lived through the 20th century in China.

I know, I’m not selling it, it’s much less of a chick-book than the above description belies.

Pleased to see somebody else likes Joe Haldeman, I though the War trilogy was great, as much because it said a lot about the time in which it was written. Some of his other stuff was a bit disappointing.

Oh yeah and for a real page turner Under the Skin by Michel Faber, if you haven’t read it already. Don’t take it to bed with you.

*both literally and metaphorically.

z1ppy

I get through audiobooks on my iphone each day so much so I’ve given up on music.. and have got through some cracking books – admittedly the narrator can make a big difference but the content itself is the same as the book

+1 with editing
    Worked my way though most of the a top 100-50 sci-fi books, working on the next 50. Have found a surprising amount of them much better than I expect, though I am a fan of old sci-fi, but it also brought a new added dimension/sparkle to some of the more modern books I own (Banks, Reynolds). I’ve also being following up on series that have one book in the list, and gotten through whole series

johnny_met
    Free Member

Non-cycling related: breath by Tim Winton – awesome

Cycling related: Dividing the Great

Aristotle
    Free Member

Excellent travel-in-dodgy-places/Journalistic Books:

Richard Grant:
    Bandit Roads
    Crazy River
    Ghost Riders

Tim Butcher:
    Blood River

James Brabazon:
    My Friend the mercenary

craigxxl
    Free Member

richc – Member

Really? I have found all the one’s I’ve read pretty two dimensional and a bit simplistic, and some of it reads as though the author is fantasising like a teenager about how he envisages what he could have been if he was a troubled detective

May’ve they get better as I’ve only read the Leopard and the Redeemer

You may have enjoyed them more if you’d read the previous books too. I’ve really enjoyed all the books starting with Redbreast and currently reading Phantom and will be looking forward to the next installment.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Are the ladies really fawning over the Fifty Shades trilogies that badly?

Is it worth trying to tempt the missus into them?

singlecrack
    Free Member

‘Mud sweat and tears’. ….Bear Gryls Quite a good read I thought.

Now back to try and get into Mark Beaumont ‘The man who cycled the world ‘ for the second time of asking .

samuri
    Free Member

Have you tried Neal Stephenson yet?

Snow Crash
    Cryptonomicon (this one is brilliant)
    and his latest, REAMDE is very good too.

dobo
    Free Member

Where do i get cheaper audio books from? i dont get why they so expensive for a download..

andeh

I can’t recommend Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut enough. It’s probably my favourite book. Mother Night is also very good.

I’m currently reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, I’ve been meaning to get round to it for a while.

seadog101

Travel:
    Redmond O’hanlon
    – Congo Journey – Nearly getting killed by african village chieftain
    – Into the Heart of Borneo – ‘Oh fuckit, it’s an Ukit, we’re going to kick the bucket’
    – Trawler – Goes on an atlantic trawler, if you can read this and not want to be seasick, then you have no phyisiology.

Sci-Fi: Ian M Banks – The Culture series (no need to read in any order thankfully)

And the only book I have read and re-read:
    Diane Ackerman – On Extended Wings. Her tale of learning to fly light aircraft. She’s battles throughout the whole book to achieve her goal. Genuinely inspirational.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Are the ladies really fawning over the Fifty Shades trilogies that badly?

Is it worth trying to tempt the missus into them?

The wife is reading it, says it is utter dross.

Have you tried Neal Stephenson yet?

Thoroughly enjoyed the baroque cycle!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘STW bookclub’ is closed to new replies.