Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • STW Anthem owners (2016) – help! Please!
  • andrewreay

My trusty alu Anthem from 2016 has just suffered a minor but seemingly critical failure.

The rear wheel skewer has failed. It is a bit weird – it’s dual-branded DT Swiss and Giant. It is a 5mm skewer with a DT Swiss ratchet at the one end, and a threaded end at the other. This screws into the frame / dropout, tightened by the DT Swiss ratchet. It’s the ratchet that has failed so I can’t tighten the wheel.

Replacement parts are seemingly difficult to come by… Like at all. Giant dealers no good.

Any ideas on how to make an otherwise outstanding bike rideable again?

Pic of the errant part below.

PS Stealth ‘Wanted’ ad for a Giant DT Swiss 5mm rear wheel skewer 😉

andrewreay

self-bump for good measure…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andrewreay

Thanks zippy – but the diameter for those is 12 or 15mm.

Mine is just 5mm (like a QR).

There is a YT video where someone converted a 5mm axle to a 12mm through version, but the Giant kit of new drop outs and mech hanger does not seem to be available any more.

Did yours come with the 12mm through axle out of the box?

mashr

Mine is just 5mm (like a QR).

There’s no such thing as a 5mm axle though, is it not just the middle part of a 12mm axle that you now have in your hand?

Superficial
    Free Member

Or indeed just any old QR skewer?

Is it just a QR with a captive nut or is it more complex than that?

igm

Not one of these is it?

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/components/hubs-and-rws/rws/5-mm

edit – too slow

on the plus side the DT Swiss page has all the measurements so you can check

andrewreay

@citizenlee – I think that’s it. I couldn’t find that on the Giant spare’s website. There’s no need for the ‘end cap’. Just need to double check the length.

@mashr
    – maybe – but it’s the 5mm that fixes the wheel in the frame – not the 12mm part of the wheel, if that makes sense.

@superficial
    – bit more complex as it tightens by turning the thread into the matching thread in the frame (like a screw) rather than in a QR where it tightens against the end cap and then the cam puts the load on when it’s closed up.

StuE
    Free Member

Picture of the frame would help

Superficial
    Free Member

@superficial – bit more complex as it tightens by turning the thread into the matching thread in the frame (like a screw) rather than in a QR where it tightens against the end cap and then the cam puts the load on when it’s closed up.

Yes, but could it be hacked with a QR? If* the length / thread pitch is the same the only real issue I can see is that you won’t be able to choose what angle it closes at?

* A big if

StuE
    Free Member

Looks like you can also get a kit to convert to a 12mm axle
    https://bicyclewarehouse.com/products/giant-2014-16-mtb-rear-thru-axle-dropout-kits bike24 also have it in stock but I don’t know if they still ship to the uk

andrewreay

Thanks StuE – this might be the way forward.

Would rather have a through axle (plus there is already one on the forks), and the rear wheel is a newish Hope one so shouldn’t be a problem converting.

@superficial
    – thanks. The thread is specific, and the length is an odd one, pus the closing angle, so all in all I think the official DT Swiss / Giant part is a safer option. Thanks though!

teethgrinder

A mate’s Orbea Rallon (not the current shape – the one before) has a QR 5mm through “axle” like this

nre
    Free Member

I have a 2015 Anthem with the same setup. I think this will convert to 142 through axle: https://www.jejamescycles.com/product/41038/giant-giant-gs8346-replace-end-old142-oslash-12mm-thru-axle-jy009-grey/option/

You’ll obviously need a new skewer as well, plus conversion for the hubs.

nre
    Free Member

PS there’s some good info here:
    https://www.mtbr.com/threads/anyone-done-the-12×142-conversion-on-their-new-anthem.877350/page-2#post-11522379

Looks like the official part number for a like for like replacement is 1529-GDTRWS-403

onewheelgood

I have a 2015 Anthem with the same setup

I had a 2014 XTC with the same 5mm screw-in axle. I converted it to a regular 12mm using that kit and a Giant through-axle. It was easy enough to do and stopped a creak that had always bothered me.

hopefiendboy

Have sent you a pm

onewheelgood

I converted it to a regular 12mm using that kit and a Giant through-axle.

Duh! @andrewreay I’ve just realised that that means that the old axle, the one you need, must be in my spares box somewhere. If I can find it you would be welcome to it.

andrewreay

Thanks @hopefiendboy – replied!

And thanks @onewheelgood

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘STW Anthem owners (2016) – help! Please!’ is closed to new replies.