Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • STW and Freedom of the Press?
  • binners

It’s hardly North Korea, is it? It’s a commercial decision. Perhaps if more publications (for that is what this is) stated their opinions and beliefs in the same forthright and unambiguous manner as the Daily Vile, then this country might be a slightly less nasty place

Just a thought

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I just wondered why a link to a main stream news outlet had a warning containing the word “abhorrent”.

You mustn’t have seen what they right then. There are more tits and Jeremy hunts in the daily mail than in playboy

project
    Free Member

Still not suere why the ban on the dm is therenad what it has to do with Sir Stephen Fry, perhaps a conservative ban would be better.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    redthunder
    Free Member

I don’t like the typeface in the Daily Mail newspaper, and the line spacing is to tight.

They should consider using Comic Sans.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Still not suere why the ban on the dm

You know there isn’t a ban don’t you?
    These replies are as well researched as a dm article…

IanMunro
    Free Member

I don’t like the typeface in the Daily Mail newspaper, and the line spacing is to tight.

They should consider using Comic Sans.

I shall write to my MEPs suggesting that they put it forward as EU policy.

zokes
    Free Member

I just wondered why a link to a main stream news outlet had a warning containing the word “abhorrent”.

You see, you’re at it again, it is not a news outlet. It is also abhorrent. You appear to be incorrect on two counts.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

i quite like the mail online, stories always come with 8 million pics and theres plenty of trashy gossip

konabunny
    Free Member

I shall write to my MEPs suggesting that they put it forward as EU policy.

zomg did anyone else hear that Brussels wants to make it illegal to use Comic Sans because it stops Belgians from reading English? I’m going to use Comic Sans for all my emails from now on, stuff Strasbourg, and I suggest you do too! FORWARD THIS TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS

GrahamS

Careful konabunny, I heard that using Comic Sans gives you cancer and makes Muslim foxes attack you in your sleep.

Cougar

There seems to be a good amount of confusion here. There’s a couple of points I think are worth reiterating.

This isn’t censorship and links to the DM aren’t “banned” or “blocked” or any such thing. You can link to the comic in question perfectly readily, there’s a URL in the OP doing exactly that.

The forum has a text filter which could easily be utilised to block the name of the paper, replace it with “Waily Fail” and send all the URLs to dev/nul, in much the same way as it does currently with phrases like ****, ****, ****ing ****stick, and Richard Stilgoe. As the more observant of you will have noticed, STW doesn’t do this.

Rather, when you follow a link to the DM, you get a confirmation as to where you’re about to be directed to, and are given the option to change your mind. It’s a bit like a NSFW warning, you’re being asked “are you sure?”

Should you decide that actually, or reflection, yes you do want to contribute to the DM’s hit count, you can do so using the link provided, with joy in your heart, a spring in your step, and gay abandon(*). The only difference being, the link gets a nofollow tag attached with it, and STW kills a kitten.

As for the reason this is done, well, there’s an explanation on the landing page, and also I expect a few of the comments here aren’t too far off the mark in relation to nefarious SEO tactics. Plus, let’s not forget, it’s bastard funny.

(* – so long as you don’t want to marry one, they don’t like that sort of thing.)

CountZero

Cougar, very nicely put. 😀

crankboy
    Free Member

I am in favour of the stw daily mail filter that organ of prejudice and titillation is abhorrent and the stw link is indeed well bastard funny.

kcr
    Free Member

The Daily Mail put children’s health at risk by promoting Andrew Wakefield’s anti-MMR nonsense and ignoring the reputable research which concluded MMR was safe.
    You can’t get much lower than harming kids to make money.

Please block the links to the Daily Mail completely, instead of just warning people.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Cougar
    Thanks for taking the time to explain the reasoning and clear up any confusion.
    Matt

fourbanger
    Free Member

Let’s get something clear . The DM isn’t a legitimate publication intent on delivering their version of the news. It is however , a professional trolling organisation generating income through outrage and half truths and extremist views
    . The amount of contradiction between views within it’s pages is evidence of that.

Respect for everyone is paramount. If we see evidence or have good reason to believe that you are looking to get a rise or to deliberately force a reaction from any other users (Trolling) then we will stop you.

STW’s reasonable policy being applied to a hateful, third rate publication.

Cougar

Thanks for taking the time to explain the reasoning

I should probably disclaim that with “as I understand it” – I’m not speaking on behalf of STW, just calling it as I see it.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Stw should be applauded for this.
    The daily mail is hateful, bigoted, spite filled publication.

scotroutes

So is this forum on occasion 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes but you dont post as much as you used to 😉

scotroutes

Ooh – cutting!

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Good move STW. The sidebar of shame with its sexist leering celebragasmic spew alongside the worst kind of stirring and page-hit-pimping “journalism” deserves no extra income from hits.

STW isn’t the Times, it’s a MTB mag and forum. They get to do what they want.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘STW and Freedom of the Press?’ is closed to new replies.