Viewing 40 posts - 3,641 through 3,680 (of 3,879 total)
  • STW 2014/15 Rugby Thread
  • anagallis_arvensis

Did the Ospreys not just need one more try to secure a home tie?

Or no bonus point for glasgow. I’m not bothered about Ulsters approach. Very sensible. Just think you view is odd.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Northampton were totally entitled to rest their players. They’d earned that right by winning enough games to be guaranteed to finish top.

However, looking at the semi-final draw, I can’t but help thinking they’ve missed a trick. Exeter are a good team but surely Northampton would rather have faced them in a knock-out game than a somewhat more battle hardened Sarries side?

Bath are probably happier facing Leicester whom they’ve already caned at home this season.

wrecker
    Free Member

Can hardly blame saints for playing the tactical game. They have finished top, and still have yet to play what area Are likely to be the hardest games of the season to win the league. They don’t owe exeter anything but they do owe it to their fans to maximise their chances of success.
    As expected, Baxter is blaming nobody but themselves for depending on the results of others. He is a top coach and a top bloke.

IdleJon

tiggs121 – Member
    Did the Ospreys not just need one more try to secure a home tie?

Only one more try? Dammit, why didn’t they realise! They could have just strolled over if they’d known. 🙄

They scored all the tries with the wind behind them, in the first half. In the second half they were lucky to get out of their 22, playing against a wind so strong it was bending passes.

Still, they’ve already won in Thomond Park this season, and it means I don’t have to spend money on a ticket to the play-off. 😕

Btw, expecting a club to field a strong team to help out another team is just odd, as already said.

Pigface
    Free Member

Wise words Jiffy

Nah sod Northampton team of scummers, I also don’t like the whole playoff idea. Just drags out the season and if the team that finishes fourth wins then it is a bit shit really

anagallis_arvensis

Roberts to Quims confirmed.
    Woodward on shortlist for France coach job. OMFG how funny would that be…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Woodward on shortlist for France coach job. OMFG how funny would that be…

Hopefully he will bring them his Lions form

@CFH I hadn’t seen that, full back should have had a yellow though. JD was pretty funny in his comments. I couldn’t find a video of the Dominici drop, that’s still my favourite.

anagallis_arvensis

Which full back?
    If they ran it on a bit you would see Barclay drive the nine face first into the ruck too which left him needing treatment for cuts

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Woodward on shortlist for France coach job.

I read an article several weeks ago saying it was going to be Ibanez and that the rest of the “selection” process was just a big sham.

Pigface
    Free Member

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/50-hardest-welsh-rugby-players-9269077

😀 some interesting characters in this list, Does anyone know the story behind Chris Jones who was banned twice for life 😯

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Stringer signs for Sale – 1yr contract apparently.

wrecker
    Free Member

Stringer signs for Sale – 1yr contract apparently.

Celebriani will be smacking his lips at this I bet. All that quick ball, a very shrewd move by Diamond.

Pigface
    Free Member

Stampy may have been quick a while ago but he isn’t anymore.

wrecker
    Free Member

He’s looked good for b*** this year.

DanW
    Free Member

some interesting characters in this list

It might be my imagination but there seems a disproportionate number of Ponty players 😀

Pigface
    Free Member

When are Bristol playing Worcester?

wrecker
    Free Member

Tomorrow night (at bris) and the following wednesday (at wuss).

Pigface
    Free Member

Cheers wrecker, they seem pretty evenly matched, so who goes up?

Bristol or Worcester

Stoner
    Free Member

Worcs of course 😉

going down to Brizz tomorrow to watch the first leg with mr deadlydarcy.

Taking Jr to the second leg at Home next week.

Squad just announced for weds and worcs are at full strength more-or-less. Pennell back fit too. Should be a dinger of a game.

IdleJon

Pigface, from The Independent:

His first stinging brush with the WRU came on Boxing Day in 1982 when he was dismissed for being what he describes as ‘a complete idiot’. The lunacy included a brawl with any Treherbert opponent handy, pushing the referee when he refused to leave the field and then threatening to take on anyone in the crowd. For that he received a 28-week ban.
    That inactivity was followed by a dozen games spread over three years during which he was twice banned indefinitely, the more notable dismissal being in a Welsh Cup match against Cardiff when he was one of four players sent off.
    Jones got his third rugby life and second WRU reprieve just in time to quit with a trapped nerve in his back, a disappointment which added impetus to his indulging in excess alcohol and drugs. He went into coaching with his brother Clive, first at Pontypridd and then Treorchy but while he was a success in that field his life beyond rugby was a mess which culminated in his arrest at the Brecon Jazz Festival in 1990. Jones, wrongly identified, faced charges that could have led to a lengthy jail sentence and it was while he was pacing his police cell on the night before he faced his first appearance in court that his character underwent a radical alteration.

All while Treorchy was a small valleys side so a surprise that anyone still remembers him?

wrecker
    Free Member

Cheers wrecker, they seem pretty evenly matched, so who goes up?

Bristol or Worcester
    too close to call. Bristol have a terrible defence but so far an unstoppable pack. Wuss’ back 3; pennell, biggs and cooper vuna can destroy sides but their scrum will be demolished.
    I reckon this one will be won at the breakdown; bristol have the better back row but the backs have a habit of getting isolated.

IdleJon

some interesting characters in this list,

Plenty missing as is always the case with these things. No Phil May (always guaranteed a punch-up with Dicky Moriarty), no Santa?

I don’t remember Perego as a hard man, just famous for the interview on Scrum V (or whatever it was called then) where they filmed him running around a wood with an axe on his back. Good player, wasn’t around for long enough.

They mention Stuart Evans and Mark Jones being sent off in Ebbw Vale -I’m sure I saw the same happen in Neath, when Evans played for Swansea, bur can’t work out if I’ve imagined it or not.

And yes, plenty of Ponty players because basically in the 90s they were a bunch of thugs. The battle of Brive was not the only brawl involving them. I remember Steele Lewis clothes-lining a Swansea back off the ball in front of the ref at ‘The House of Pain’ and the ref not considering blowing for it. (I invaded the pitch at Ponty when Swansea won the league there and Stu Davies described it as the House of Fun. 🙂 )

wrecker
    Free Member

Teams;
    Briz
    1 Traynor
    2 Brooker
    3Cortes
    4 Townson
    5 Sorenson
    6 Jones
    7 Lam
    8 Eadie
    9 Peel
    10 Morgan
    11 Amesbury
    12 Henson
    13 Maule
    14 Lemi
    15 Wallace

Wuss
    15 Chris Pennell
    14 Tom Biggs
    13 Alex Grove
    12 Ryan Mills
    11 Cooper Vuna
    10 Ryan Lamb
    9 JB Bruzulier
    1 Val Rapava Ruskin
    2 Agustin Creevy
    3 Nick Schonert
    4 Jonathan Thomas
    5 James Percival
    6 Mike Williams
    7 Sam Lewis
    8 GJ van Velze (C)

Stoner
    Free Member

last few games for the excellent Mike Williams before he disappears off to tigers unfortunately.

Pigface
    Free Member

I saw Mark Jones dish out a thumping to a Crosskeys player and the ref just ignored it. 😆 that was Eugene Cross Park.

Heard a great tale from a Swansea flanker who had to sub at prop, they were playing Pooler and Bobby Windor was indulging in a bit of the dark arts. Apparently Geoff Wheel lamped in the next scrum and told him to knock it off, surprisingly he did.

Peregero was a fireman wasn’t he?

anagallis_arvensis

Is Sam Lewis the ex ospreys 7? Hows he going?

Stoner
    Free Member

Is Sam Lewis the ex ospreys 7? Hows he going?

Yep:
    http://www.warriors.co.uk/rugby/players/index.php?player=98627&includeref=dynamic

I’ve not seen him play yet, he’s only been there a few months, the London S games were the play off matches I didnt bother with. The other three were all away I think.

IdleJon

Pigface – Member

Peregero was a fireman wasn’t he?

He was. Explains the axe, I guess!

DanW
    Free Member

And yes, plenty of Ponty players because basically in the 90s they were a bunch of thugs.

A prop who played for Ponty as a youngster and went on to play in the first Heineken Cup final for Cardiff described them as absolutely no different in training- if anything they were worse… to their own team mates 😯

duckman

Where might the non subscriber watch the brizzle game tonight? 😉

Pigface
    Free Member

Dan W a mate of mine was invited to play at Brynmawr who at the time had ambitions, he went to train and halfway through training the forwards kicked off with each other, full of fists flying scrap. The coach just stood looking at them and said “every week its the same I just cant do anything with them” my mate decided it wasn’t for him and went back to Newbridge United 😆

wrecker
    Free Member

Where might the non subscriber watch the brizzle game tonight?

I generally use drakulastream.
    http://www.drakulastream.eu/rugby-live-streaming-video-2015-1.html

IdleJon

The coach just stood looking at them and said “every week its the same I just cant do anything with them”

😆

namastebuzz
    Free Member
    Stoner
    Free Member

*neatly folds Warriors scarf. packs motorbike.*

leaving for Brizzle in a bit. Good opportunity to pop into the spesh concept store for some new MTB shoes…

Looking forward to tonight. Come on you WARRIORS!

wrecker
    Free Member

Be prepared to watch this bloke;

He has been the difference so often this season, and if it weren’t for injuries would have been the top champ player this year IMHO, certainly bristols most valued player.

ads678

He doesn’t look happy does he??

anagallis_arvensis

Big Gav has let himself go!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Gav has let himself go!

Do you mean he’s stopped waxing ? Or a different Gav ?

Viewing 40 posts - 3,641 through 3,680 (of 3,879 total)

The topic ‘STW 2014/15 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.