Viewing 40 posts - 1,561 through 1,600 (of 3,879 total)
  • STW 2014/15 Rugby Thread
  • DanW
    Free Member

The fat lads won the game.

Agreed, I thought they were excellent.

Gethin should retire gracefully, no one wants to see him dribble his career to an end, such a great player.

Not sure on this. He has always struggled with refs in the scrum since the infamous video but on his day can be rampaging around the field. He hasn’t lost the quality, it is just getting harder to tease the form out of him. Not sure the replacements are better

Ford- I thought he was excellent. Maybe not MoM excellent

Agreed, the majority of you English are way too hard on him. Even when he was struggling a bit he always looked in control… and how much ball did the backline see. When you have the forwards England have you can afford a child sized playmaker 😆 Place kicking would be the only worry.

Yarde, although not perfect would have stayed out to stand a good chance of preventing that try. Youngs was slow

Did you watch the 6N game or the Saxons match? Youngs was a real spark and dangerous throughout and Yarde was shocking! Wade perhaps but not Yarde in the next team! Agreed though that May added little

bigthorn
    Free Member

A great game the difference in the second half was England playing the ball out of the tackle, wales had obviously targeted turnover ball in this and we’re doing very well at it in first half ( frightened englang so much they had to commit too many to the breakdown and even then got slow ball).
    Another issue is why referees are allowed to make decisions based on what they see on the big screen, as was proved with the touchjudges call about the kick going straight out the homeside screen will only show what favours them ( strange how they managed to find that full footage well after the decision had been made eh?), the atwood try obstruction was only viewed for 1 angle on big screen but 4th official could have called for different views.

DanW
    Free Member

Another issue is why referees are allowed to make decisions based on what they see on the big screen, as was proved with the touchjudges call about the kick going straight out the homeside screen will only show what favours them

It is controlled by the broadcaster and 4th official, nothing to do with the home side. If the ref has gone to the 4th official for help then the ref can use the big screen as it was a bit of a farce that they were supposed to be looking away and not use it in their decision for a long time. The angles come from the 4th official. When play has continued the broadcaster puts up replays- of course they wait for the play to continue because the ref didn’t (couldn’t?) ask the 4th official for help. At that point it is only for the benefit of the fans in the stadium and for the beenfit of the England captain to be whingey all game 😆

bigthorn
    Free Member

It is controlled by the broadcaster

That will be BBC Wales then!? If you ask for a second opinion then should take it! As I said only 1 angle was shown so what good was that. this has occurred lots of times at different games and at one time ( sorry can’t remember exactly ) even the 4th official had difficulty getting all the camera angles out of broadcaster

DanW
    Free Member

To be honest, there was nothing in that game that required a replay or 4th official. Even as a Welsh fan the crossing call was a joke but fortunately a bit of a funny one (given the media hype before) as England went on to win. Blame Hartley for the blatent block against NZ for the topic coming to the fore. Had they lost it would have been a very hollow Wales win. Thinking about it Hartley was rather good for Wales. No idea why Haskell thought he’d scored- not familiar with the post rules? Ball out on the full was one of those things, maybe a lack of guile from Watson to make it more obvious to the officials.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Anyone else with a monster hangover today? After half a bottle of wine with pre game meal. A couple of Chimay Blue’s during the game, opening a bottle of Rioja for a celebratory glass was always going to end badly!

I’m supposed to be recording some tracks with my band in a few hours :-/

anagallis_arvensis

Haskel running into the post was piss funny!!

Another issue is why referees are allowed to make decisions based on what they see on the big screen, as was proved with the touchjudges call about the kick going straight out the homeside screen will only show what favours them ( strange how they managed to find that full footage well after the decision had been made eh?), the atwood try obstruction was only viewed for 1 angle on big screen but 4th official could have called for different views.

Only allowed to use replays to decide on try scoring or not so they couldnt review the touch kick from Brown. At one point there wad a hint of a tip tackle too. The fourth official can review it and get back to the ref if necessary. I presume he did this and all was fine so play carried on.
    Still cannot understand such a flat performance in the second half from Wales, i think it might be related to all this fitness work they’ve been doing.
    The attacking play was utterly shite too. No runners from deep nothing. Watched a youtube vid of Roberts v Northampton the way they put him into space was in stark contrast to the way ales use him.

anagallis_arvensis

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oM33xoFxPQU[/video]

mefty
    Free Member

A very good win for England, just a few points:

(1) Ford was very good, plays much flatter than Farrell so England were getting over the gain line sooner despite not hitting the ball at pace. However, it is riskier if you get caught which he did early on.
    (ii) Youngs make take an extra step but his pass was very long creating a huge area on the inside shoulder of the fly half to attack. England made a lot of yards down this channel.
    (iii) Haskell carried the ball well and was excellent value but he was at fault for the early try.

anagallis_arvensis

Haskel adds beef and came into his own in the second half arm wrestle. Bit ponderous though. I was waiting for Tipuric and Priestland to come on and try and move the big england backrow around and make more use of the wings. Never happened though just bosh, smash, bosh, smash.

ton

attwood was the bloke i was talking about, he played well. and haskell.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

. The fat lads won the game…just bosh, smash, bosh, smash

😀 😀 😀

vondally
    Free Member

Great win for England and generally a better performance in terms of creativity.

I thought Wales nullified Billy V too easily, warburton and Faleteau looked tremendous as did AW Jones. Part of the problems is the game time for some of the players is missing and one must question the mental aspect in the last quarter for the welsh something seems not to be there…..Gatland time for a new coach?

SOme outstanding performances for England

Front 4 especially Atwood I am sorry but I have no time for Hartley he is a minimum of 2 penalties a game
    Youngs and Ford, I thought Ford is a step up from Farrell and played on the line, defended really well and aided by Burrell
    Centres did well for a combination not used to each other

Watson is class but needs international nous but that is experience
    Brown is getting form and is good

Problems no kicker really outside Ford apart from Brown
    May is no international standard, the try was his fault and catching under the high ball was not good
    international nous especially in retaining/presenting the ball after the tackle,
    Lancaster and the coaches subs……too preplanned and not reading the game, marler was excellent why take him off? Youngs was running the game?. Too early to close a game out really, Lanacaster is just a bit too predetermined in his decisions at time.

Not many changes for me

locks is a real competitive area…..
    Props looking good if all fit
    Hooker…..????
    Back row lots of optiosn and Robshaw is underestimated and unsung, good player and getting better as capt

half backs leave as but Dixon would have been there for me

Centres leave as…..Mani T no sure and Barritt is great defense but Joseph looks on form

Wings Watson and then pick one but not May

Full back…again options and depth

The Big question is Scotland, they will be the team that causes the upsets I think……………interesting today but Wales at Murrayfield will be close.

anagallis_arvensis

Lancaster and the coaches subs……too preplanned and not reading the game, marler was excellent why take him off? 

I thought Lancaster made an error brining on Vunipola as Lee bent him in half at the first scrum but then the ref just lost the plot when all the front row subs came on. England were dominating the scrum and then were not. Didnt matter in the end though.

mefty
    Free Member

Robshaw made more than 20 tackles (26)! None missed, extraordinary.

Webb’s box kicking was poor – too short.

vondally
    Free Member

Agreed AA, Vunipola has not learnt or been coached from his mistakes in the Lions…..this limits him massively. Mr S Lee had a hard night but seems to have some talent. Hibbard was relatively quiet, I had him to smash tackle someone inside 6 minutes….preferably Hartley.

Referring the scrum is not easy but it now bordering on embarrassment for the game. Really needs sorting. Faleteau pickup was handling in the scrum but also wonderful skill, athleticism.

It will be interesting to see the NO 8 of the tournament.

anagallis_arvensis

Vunipola is the wrong shape for a prop now the hits been removed.
    Lee is a great prospect only 22 I think doing very well to just hold his own. Hibbard was quiet as was Ball and Gethin. Very subdued performance. Dont want to rain on Eglands parade as it was a damn good win but I do think wales were very poor.

loum
    Free Member

Like so many internationals, game was won in the back row.
    Haskell, Vunipola and Robshaw all made good yards.
    Faletau made a little, Warburton and Lydiate didn’t.

That rubbish I’m afraid.

Afraid not. You can make your own rose tinted narrative but the stats don’t lie.
    Robshaw alone made as many yards as the entire Wales back row.
    Vunipola made more, and Haskell nearly double.
    England back row made 4 times as much distance as their welsh counterparts, and usually took both flankers to tackle them leaving space outside for the likes of Watson and Joseph.
    In attack, England back row were also on top for clean breaks 1-0 to England BR ; defenders beaten 5-1 EBR ; and offloads 2-1 EBR.
    Faletau had his moment, with an offload assist for the try where Haskell missed a tackle, but other than that, the problem was there was minimal attacking threat from the Welsh back row despite more possession.

And the defensive stats favour England back row too:

Lydiate 15 tackles made, 1 missed, no turnovers
    warburton 14 tackles made, 1 missed, no turnovers
    faletau 15 tackles made, 1 missed, no turnovers

Haskell 15 tackles made, 1 missed, no turnovers
    Robshaw 26 tackles made, 0 missed, one turnover
    Vunipola 14 tackles made, 0 missed, one turnover

Robshaw is underestimated and unsung, good player and getting better as capt

26 tackles, none missed, a turnover and as much yardage as the entire wales back row.
    For his “Own personal battle” with Wales 7 and captain Warburton in his own back yard, job done.

anagallis_arvensis

Afraid not. You can make your own rose tinted narrative but the stats don’t lie.
    Robshaw alone made as many yards as the entire Wales back row.
    Vunipola made more, and Haskell nearly double.
    England back row made 4 times as much distance as their welsh counterparts, and usually took both flankers to tackle them leaving space outside for the likes of Watson and Joseph.

I’ve been accused of lots of things but never “rose tinted”. The question you have to ask yourself is why and the answer lies with the front five. Many a time has a welsh backrow or back been given the blame for a good old fashioned rogering in the front five. Scrums, lineouts and mauls won it for England.

loum
    Free Member

mistake above – Haskell nine tackles made one mised (only one all night by an England back row)

It will be interesting to see the NO 8 of the tournament.

Jordi Murphy 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

I do think wales were very poor.

I think they were well contained. Chuffed for Burrell following the scathing (and undeserved) reports from the Racing Metro game. He was very good. I think Slade can really push Ford personally and it will be good for the team if he does.
    I can also see a fair argument for Ashton coming back with a decent FH now playing.
    The difference in the second half was mainly at the breakdown. It took England far too long to catch on the wales’ aggressive approach, but they did and protected the ball well in the second half which turned the game.
    WTF was 12trees doing? He was really good when he came on!

Jordi Murphy

The best 8 in this tournament is Parisse.

anagallis_arvensis

think they were well contained. Chuffed for Burrell following the scathing (and undeserved) reports from the Racing Metro game.

Burrell is a good player, Ford could become very special if he keeps improving, Kruis too. Remains to be seen if it was poor welsh play or good england play or a bit of both.

anagallis_arvensis

Thete’s a joke here somewhere but I’m too crestfallen to make it.
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31176748

Bear
    Free Member

AA – you’ve got it spot on there, bit of both.

ton

sat watching the italy ireland game thinking how very scrappy it seems.
    every time italy play, no matter who it is, the games ends up a scrappy mess.

why is this?

duckman

Because Italy have a game plan based on their strengths,a decent forward pack (different in union remember Ton) and try to force they other team into an arm wrestle. Trouble is that the pack is decent,rather than good,so it takes a while to chew through them so you can play.

Pigface
    Free Member

France in red WTF 😯

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Just back from the AJ Bell Stadium, Sale 38-Scarlets 3 which is nice, 6 tries to nil.
    Poor Scarlets were treated to renditions of “Swing Low,Sweet Chariot” and “Shall We Shut The Roof For You?” 😆
    The only Scarlets player who looked decent was the scrum-half/Captain Rhodri Williams (?) felt sorry for the poor bloke trying to carry the team on his own.

Anyway, Allez Les Bleus!!

DanW
    Free Member

Is Huget the new Ashton? Petulant little ***** 😆

Scotland look a little weak at the breakdown but class with ball in the backs. They need a bit more confidence to trust themselves and not rely on a snapped drop goal. France on the other hand look fairly average but equally you can sense the pure class simmering underneath and the few more gears they can easily step up.

Would love to see Scotland win!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Crikey the Cotter/Nicol orgasmatron commentary.

jota180
    Free Member

The Scots are looking very tired now

duckman

But we have an international rugby team again, and a set of backs!

anagallis_arvensis

So wales and italy the wooden spoon decider based on this weekends games?

DanW
    Free Member

Another victory earned in the piggies. Scotland do look very good when the backs get their hands on it. Not convinced Owens had his best game and France were getting away with a lot of skullduggery, but I think on balance France deserved it.

kennyp
    Free Member

A deserved win for France, but on the plus side I’m more optimistic about this Scotland team than I’ve been since 1999. Great line breaking by Hogg, Bennett, and Russell. And some good work in the lineouts.

vondally
    Free Member

Fascinating Game, Scotland excellent Russell Dunbar Bennett Hogg looked outstanding. laidlaw played well as did J Gary they were unlucky at the breakdown which was ferocious but Nigel Owen was not great by his standards a couple of wayward throwins, the scrum was a real lottery. Scotland will be hard to beat and if can get the backs on the ball regularly.

France going for the power game and a real lack of creativity given the potential skill levels, the scrum versus England will be interesting.

Lopez was not MOM…..

Ireland struggled today, surprisingly really if they had played it wider ealier, . Italy have stagnated badly, the replacement backs looked far better T Allen looked sharp.

Good weekend overall, Italy wooden spoon Wales will have confidence shattered and internal division will rise, Scotland to improve and give the rest a scare, France Ireland England all will be close but I think England will be narrow winners.

wrecker
    Free Member

Nobody looking brilliant so far. France made hard work of that. Two quick tries saved irish blushes.
    Impressed by Hogg, he very nearly made the difference.

Who was that France 15? He was bloody huge!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I thought Scotland played the game with terrific ambition. They were undone by some poor basic errors at important times in the match.

Bad enough having to put up with Cotter/Nicol for 80 minutes but then, at the end, Nicol completely ignores the biggest turnaround in Scottish play for several years and bemoans the fact that it is “still a defeat.”

It looks like Big Vern has got Scotland playing the right way. Just a shame that Maitland is missing as his support play and running lines would have fitted right in.

Mark Bennett looks great. Been following him since the U-20s and his sojourn with Clermont.

vondally
    Free Member

France 15 = South African

I think errors for Scotland were often due to the intensity of the tackling but there were things they will improve on, graet improvement on the dire efforts of a couple of season age.

Hogg is one fine player, No 15 of the tournament Hogg or Brown or 1/2p?

Personally I thought England looked massively impressive, outstanding pack, looking better in the backs with creativity and pace, good quality subs to come on ( this I think will decide the tournament players from the bench, Scots are weak in depth as do Wales, France subs looked slow to get to game ) most importantly they looked mentally strong and prepared, little or no panic through the game when behind.

edit Chris ashton should never play for England again, far better alternatives who can attack AND defend.

wrecker
    Free Member

France 15 = South African

Ah. I kept thinking “why is that flanker doing the kicking?”

Viewing 40 posts - 1,561 through 1,600 (of 3,879 total)

The topic ‘STW 2014/15 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.