Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Sturdy paint for fork lowers.
  • zippykona

Put my spare white forks on my black bike.
    They would certainly look better in semi matt black. What rattle cans have proved chip proof for you ?

hooli

Are you set on rattle cans? I’d drop them into a pro and have them blasted and properly painted or powder coated.

If you say where you are somebody could recommend a friendly local paint place.

zippykona

They are off my muddy bike. As long as they are black from a distance I’m not too precious.

stevextc
    Free Member

I’ve had pretty good results using “appliance paint” though it’s gloss not matt.

jkomo

Paint then Matt heli tape?

hooli

If that’s the case, I have used something like this on motorcycle forks before – 2 pack

It looked good and was fairly chip resistant but for the amount of prep and work I put in, I said I’d get it done properly next time.

bigginge

This stuff is supposed to be more durable than most, might be slightly more difficult to apply though:

edit, not sure why the site always insists on linking to a kindle preview when this is supposed to go to some Autotek ATOOTBB500 Truck Liner Spray

belugabob
    Free Member

I might be wrong, but I seem to remember reading that fork lowers can’t be powder coated, as they’re made from magnesium, and that doesn’t like the heat.

Following the thread,though, as my previous attempt chipped after about 5 seconds.

damascus
    Free Member

What about black vinyl stickers? Quick, easy, cheap and easily removed.

dogbone

We used spray.bike black on my son’s bike. It held up really well given the amount of abuse.

https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/bike-paint

zippykona

That truck bed paint looks like the biz.

cookeaa

Matt black Barbeque paint.

It’s heat resistant for when you do those sick jumps through flaming hoops…

sharkattack

Did a few BMX’s back in the day with Hycote Stone Guard. That’s matte black and not fussy about preparation.

I remember it being an absolute pig to remove as well as it’s very hard stuff.

MikeG

Rustoleum combicolor is pretty tough,or they do one called ‘hardhat’ which is supposed to be even tougher.
    When I had my last frame powder coated I was told they couldn’t do the fork lowers because the heat might damage the bushings.

BearBack
    Free Member

Spraymax 2k hot rod black.
    Use ppe.
    (Eastwood 2k in a can might be easier to get in the UK)

LAT

though that particular type may not be, truck bed liner is usually like sandpaper.

sharkattack

I wouldn’t use bed liner. It’s tough but it’s usually crinkly.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Sturdy paint for fork lowers.’ is closed to new replies.