Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Stupidly expensive roadie shoes
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So why am I thinking that they’re only £30 a year if they last 10 years…………..

Or just look at that sole!

mrmo
    Free Member

10 years might be pushing it, get a bit tatty before then. Just wait till the end of year clearance sales, should be able to pick a set up for only c£200 😯

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Roadie shoes last me a good 10 years +, so no probs spending c.£200. £300 might make me pause a bit though….

fontmoss
    Free Member

Sir will be after a pair of these (free sock offer makes them a bargain!)

To be fair if you’re spending 10 hours a week in the saddle on a bike worth upwards of £3k then there’s probably a point at which £300 seems in proportion to your spending.

brakes
    Free Member

brakes
    Free Member

lightweight road shoes like that will not last 10 years, especially if you ride them in anything other than dry weather

SIDIs seem pretty expensive and long-lasting if that’s your bent

munrobiker
    Free Member
    darrell
    Free Member

the rapha shoes are nicer

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

the rapha shoes are nicer

Yes, but they’re made in China, who wears nice shoes made in China?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Do your self a favour and get shimano all the shoes you will ever need, even the cheap £60 ones.

rOcKeTdOg

if you are Mr Gilbert you could have these

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Do your self a favour and get shimano all the shoes you will ever need, even the cheap £60 ones.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm DMT

njee20
    Free Member

^^^ 😆

S-Works for my rather-too-expensive-but-they’ll-last-for-years-and-they-look-pimp shoes of choice.

If I was really going form over function the Rapha ones do it for me.

somafunk

Not exceedingly expensive for road shoes, my last pair of mtb sidi dragons were well over £200 and have lasted, they are 4 yrs old now and still going strong so value for money imho and when they finally fall apart i’ll be replacing them with a similar sidi, I’ve only ever wore sidi shoes and whilst the initial cost may be high the lifespan and replacement parts more than makes up for it.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

First pair of Sidis here. Love the fit, but looks like some of the lower range ones don’t have the heel cup replacement. If you change your mind and go for them then maybe something to look out for.

You maybe able to find the Fiziks cheaper abroad. Perhaps one of the German or Italian shops that will deliver to the UK.

charlierevell
    Free Member

I have a brand new pair of r3’s in white which I could sell for a good price… Size 44.5
    Just prefer my shimano R315’s ( yikes, I’ve spent £500 on shoes this year!!)

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Charlie, your off the chart, £500 on shoes you’re mental.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

In what way are the 315’s better?

I’ve tried shimano before and they were way too narrow, but then SIDI and northwave seem fine despite being ‘italian’ and therefore assumed to be narrow.

ken_shields
    Free Member

I’ve spent £500 on shoes this year!!)

LOL did you get just one pair then…….oh no…..that was my missus

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Spoon shimano do a wide fit.

corroded
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of gold Sidis that are still in good nick, after ten years. I’ve looked after them but because they write cheques my legs can’t cash they don’t get much use these days.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Price, Cost and Value all getting mixed up again.

Some things cost more for a number of reasons, quality, performance, weight & label. Some of these matter. As above if your sitting on a very expensive bike then their cost seems smaller. If you paid 200 quid more for the bike and got them for 100 it would seem like a bargain.

If your completely into road riding and race and they are comfy and last well then why not even at 60/year for 5 years it’s not bad value. Get that down to cost per ride and it’s nothing.

People pay 3/4quid to sit on a static bike with chav music blasted at them for an hour. Do that once a week and your up near 150/200 a year easy. Seems much less value than a nice pair of shoes that could last a few years. (Also less than 6 months sky tv, 100 average pints, 30 takeaway curries and many other things that just add up)

brakes
    Free Member

the question though Mike, is will those Fizik ones last? they don’t look particularly durable.

charlierevell
    Free Member

Bringing up an old post here… but have we seen the self of prices these ended up going for?
    Last Planet X Email was mental!!!

Edric64
    Free Member

I have had my Carnac Podiums since 1995 they were 130 quid then I still wear them to timetrial in

eshershore
    Free Member

in our shop we can sell 6-10 pairs of S-Works road shoes a day

people obviously appreciate / want them, despite the price tag

personally, being a poor bike mechanic? I have the basic Specialized Sport road shoe with the BG footbeds and shims, works just fine for me.

charlierevell
    Free Member
    DezB
    Free Member

but have we seen the self of prices these ended up going for?
    Last Planet X Email was mental!!!

I wouldn’t wear those white things if you paid me the rrp.

TiRed

I have the original Fizik pair for £120 and they are beautiful shoes. May be a touch too big though but they are rigid beyond belief. More of a Sidi fit rather than a Shimano fit, which is an issue for my D width feet.

binners

Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans! What is it with roadies? Hmmmmmmmmm I’m a grown man already dressed like a 14 year old girl on their way to a gymnastics class, how could I look even more like a complete bell? Maybe I could channel the fashion sense of a true style icon into my footwear. Yeah… that’d be cool!

😆

DezB
    Free Member

Well said binners and Liberace.

samuri
    Free Member

I always fancied a pair of these. A mere snip at £175. People ridicule me saying they don’t look awesome. But they’re wrong because they do.

DezB
    Free Member

they are a little more, erm…, whats the word I’m looking for?.. um, manly than the Fizik ones.

binners

You’d have to accessorise properly though

especially the socks 😀

peteimpreza

On One were recently selling the Fizik ones off at half price so I guess they may have misjudged their pricing policy a little.

binners

…. or what percentage of their potential market were blind, or starring in an am/dram stage production of Saturday Night Fever. Or both. 😉

zilog6128

I always fancied a pair of these. A mere snip at £175. People ridicule me saying they don’t look awesome. But they’re wrong because they do.

They are quite cool, you’d have to do the whole deal though. On my one and only sportive the standout rider had a very distinctive style. He didn’t have those shoes (because he had toe clips) but his whole ensemble was of that style, on a vintage roadie, with perfect accessories like wooden/leather (couldn’t quite see) bidons and a leather saddle pack with buckles on it.

damitamit
    Free Member

I like the box better than the shoes with mine…

mindmap3
    Free Member

Esher..I’m just tight so use the entry level Spesh shoes and get on with then just fine. They seemed to fit me much better than the Shimano shoes I wanted originally.

I’m not brave enough to buy posh shoes because most seem to be in silly colours that are either impractical (whiteb or just plain loud that will make me look as though I should know what I’m doing! Running shoes are the same…if you want a good lair, they’re all ridiculous colours which are fine if you’re a pro.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Stupidly expensive roadie shoes’ is closed to new replies.