• This topic has 23 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Stupid windows 10 updates – Help!
  • Neb

My keyboard and mouse recently stopped working on my computer. After several hours of trying to get them to work I’ve concluded its a windows update thing rather than my hardware being knackered.

My local computer shop gave me a really old PS2 keyboard which seems to work and I managed to find an update to allow a USB to PS2 mouse adaptor to work. I’m still struggling to get the USB drivers back.

Its a known issue with a certain windows update and a corrective update has been issued, however I can’t seem to get my computer to see the update and download it automatically. I’ve downloaded it manually, but windows won’t allow it to be installed as it ‘is not applicable to this computer’. When I plug a USB keyboard in, nothing happens and nothing shows up in device manager.

I’d rather not reinstall windows if I can help it and the PS2 keyboard and mouse can only really be a temporary thing until its fixed.

Does anyone have a clue what I do next? (don’t say install linux or buy a mac…!)

Cheers

scaredypants

can you get to the windows update settings ?

you can uninstall updates from there, I think, so if you know the dodgy update you might be able to get out of this loop

mattyfez

First thing is download and install the newest motherboard driver/s this might help or might not, but I’d do that before doing anything else.

AdamW
    Free Member

Buy a mac or put linux on there?

Heaven forfend such action!

Everyone knows that MicroVAXes are where the cool kids are.  😛

Cougar

First thing is download and install the newest motherboard driver/s this might help or might not, but I’d do that before doing anything else.

I’d be going with that.  Making a lot of assumptions here but I’d start with:

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/detect.html

Neb

I’ve managed to uninstall the update, but had to do it manually through the command line as it wasn’t visible in Windows update.

I’ve also updated all the motherboard drivers, that was how the PS2 mouse started working. I was relieved when that happened as using keyboard gets pretty tedious pretty quickly!

Thanks for the advice though!

mattyfez

Have you tried moving the mouse keyboard to different USB ports?

You might have a broken USB port if a Ps2 mouse is working.

Cougar

I’m not following that logic?

mattyfez

In that it seems like a USB software or hardware issue if the Ps2 works.

The wild card is that a ps2  is working via Ps2 to USB adapter?  if I’ve read that right.

Edited for clarity

sbob
    Free Member

You have a PS2 port?

Your problem is that your PC is as old as the ark. Does it have a 3.5″ floppy drive as well? 😉

Neb

You have a PS2 port?

Your problem is that your PC is as old as the ark. Does it have a 3.5″ floppy drive as well?

It’s a fairly high end asus skylake motherboard… But I was surprised to find the PS2 ports on the back. Just as well really, I’d have been knackered without them!

I’d be going with that.  Making a lot of assumptions here but I’d start with:

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/detect.html

Thanks cougar, I’ve tried that, but I think that because windows has removed the drivers, the Intel detection isn’t expecting them to be present so they aren’t shown as missing. (If that makes sense!)

I’ve not got an install disk as it was a free upgrade from Windows 7. Has  anyone tried the various forms of ‘resetting’ or ‘refreshing’ windows 10? I’m thinking that might be my easiest option…

st66

Something similar happened to me recently.  I did the following which worked for me:  unplug everything from the computer – usb, power cable monitor etc.  Hold the on button down for 20 seconds.  Then plug everything back in and switch on as normal.

retro83
    Free Member

What’s the link to the article about the update which you think broke it?

My suggestion is to run Snappy Driver Installer and let it update/install the correct USB and chipset drivers for you.

1. Backup
    2. Download SDI Lite from https://sdi-tool.org/releases/  then extract the ZIP file
    3. Run SDI_Auto.bat
    4. A window might  pop up asking for firewall access, if so then allow on all,
    5. Another window will pop up, click Download Indexes Only.
    6. Get a brew, it will take a couple of mins
    7. Next it will show a list of all the hardware you can get newer drivers for
    8. tick the ones you want, then click Install,  and it will go and download them and install them for you.  Suggest doing chipset and USB ones first in your case, but it will also do pretty much any driver if you want.

Easy peasy (unlike formatting a list on this bloody forum software)

hols2
    Free Member

If you poke around in the backup and recovery options, you should be able to roll it back to its earlier configuration.

Neb

The Microsoft summary of the issue is here

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4091240/usb-devices-may-stop-working-after-installing-the-february-13-2018-upd

I’ve removed the offending update however the hid devices are still not being recognised. I downloaded a piece of driver software as mentioned above and that still does not suggest the appropriate driver to reinstall.

I can’t roll back the installation as there are no recent restore points.

So a Windows reinstall/refresh/reset is probably the way forward. Bugger.

seosamh77
    Free Member

You have a PS2 port?

Your problem is that your PC is as old as the ark.

This is my conclusion! 😆

retro83
    Free Member

Neb

Subscriber
    The Microsoft summary of the issue is here

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4091240/usb-devices-may-stop-working-after-installing-the-february-13-2018-upd

I’ve removed the offending update however the hid devices are still not being recognised.

Did you install KB4090913 ?

You can manually get it from here if Windows Update is not offering it:
    https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4090913

Make sure you get the right version.

I downloaded a piece of driver software as mentioned above and that still does not suggest the appropriate driver to reinstall.

Yes I saw that thing about the intel tool, but did you try Snappy?

Neb

It won’t let me install kb4090913, I’m assuming because I’ve installed a later update with the patch included, unfortunately it’s not patched anything!

I’ve tried easy driver and driver boost which seem to do a similar thing, but I’ll give snappy a go.

Cheers

cyclingwilly
    Free Member

I’ve had a problem fro several days, I decided to download and install each one as a standalone, eventually got it done.

Neb

I just tried Snappy driver and while it didn’t work, I like it! Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll continue to use it.

I’ve still got no idea how to get the usb ports working properly, I’m thinking a reinstall is the way forward. I was planning to back things up first but the external HDD (via usb) doesn’t work. So wasting lots of my time and potential for losing some data, all because of a chuffing windows update.

Cougar

Random idea,

Go into Device Manager, go through each USB Root Hub in turn, and disable power management?

retro83
    Free Member

Neb

Subscriber

I just tried Snappy driver and while it didn’t work, I like it! Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll continue to use it.

I’ve still got no idea how to get the usb ports working properly, I’m thinking a reinstall is the way forward. I was planning to back things up first but the external HDD (via usb) doesn’t work. So wasting lots of my time and potential for losing some data, all because of a chuffing windows update.

Yeah it’s a great tool, shame it didn’t help.  So frustrating!

How much data have you got? You can get online backup from like £5 a month from Carbonite.

Or if it’s only a few gig, bung it on a free Google drive account, or MS onedrive.

squirrelking
    Free Member

<p>Or run a repair and you keep everything.</p>

PJay
    Free Member

It might be worth going into Device Manager and actually uninstalling the offending devices to remove the driver software and then try reinstalling it.

Running sfc /scannow from an Administrative command prompt will also check for system file errors.

You might also find that you have 2 types of USB driver available on the system, the chipset manufacturers own and Microsoft’s ones that are built into Windows 10; the system will probably install one in preference to the other but you can install either manually from device manager to see if either work.

There’s also a major Spring 2018 update due which could gum everything up again (or potentially resolve issues); I think that it was due on 10/04/18 but got cancelled as it caused to many BSOD! 😀

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Stupid windows 10 updates – Help!’ is closed to new replies.