Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Stupid Thule key-alike Q…
  • ratherbeintobago

As things stand we have all the bike racks keyed-alike, and both sets of roof bars on different keys.

While I am aware that the locks are made of finest Camembert and aren’t anything more than a visual deterrent, am I being daft about having them keyed differently or is there no real security difference to having them all keyed the same?

Ta!

csb

If you lose the keys in a bunch and a scrote gets them, different locks will give them a bit more hassles to nick all the bars and racks for resale.

If they’re intent on just nicking them by screwdriver it matters not what key they locked with.

somafunk

A few years ago i lost the keys to my thule rack with bike attached but less than 5 seconds with a screwdriver and hammer rendered them useless, dunno if they’ve changed design since then

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Greybeard
    Free Member

I can’t see keyed-alike making much difference to security, and as said, they’re pretty weak anyway. On my roof bars, I swapped the standard Allen bolts for the security ones with a pip in the socket. But then they jemmy the bars off and you need a new roof as well…

ratherbeintobago

Thanks all!

kiwizak
    Free Member

What type of rack? keys may make no difference at all.

pdw
    Free Member

Quite a few of the keys are interchangeable anyway.

And as above, I don’t think the key is the weak point on most racks anyway.

ratherbeintobago

@kiwizak 591/598s with Thule base bars.

kiwizak
    Free Member

The Thule 598 is a great rack. But the lock does absolutely nothing.

Might as well have the same keys for convenience.

ratherbeintobago

It turns out Thule have changed their lock barrels and the N200+ locks are ‘better’. Anyone know how?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Stupid Thule key-alike Q…’ is closed to new replies.