Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • Stupid stuff drivers say………………
  • cubist
    Free Member

I got called a **** by a passenger in a tinted window Corsa because he didn’t like me holding primary. The driver even slowed enough alongside me so he could lean out the widow and shout it clearly. I responded as maturely as I could with “So’s you Mum!”

They then pulled up ahead to berate me and invite me to take part in some fisticuffs for calling his Mum a **** while she was in the back of said car meanwhile she was reading the lads the riot act for being rude.

Nico
    Free Member

I’ve been offered a tow – passenger leaning out of the window. I laughed good-naturedly but declined. They didn’t look like responsible people.

jaminb
    Free Member

I confronted a HGV driver, after a particular close pass on the A308, when he stopped to drop off his cargo

Me. That pass was too close
    driver. It obviously wasn’t as you are still hear arguing with me

I reported the incident to his employer and got a £40 gift card for my near death experience

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Just the once about five years ago going to work between Leatherhead and Ashtead.

Dark winter morning. No other traffic in sight.

Bloke and wife on the other side of the road walking typical Surrey black Labrador.

“Use the cycle path!”

Stopped and just shouted the first thing that popped into my mouth…

“F*** off and mind your own business you fat ugly c***.”

Wifey hurried him along.

Saw them again a few days later.

Silence…

philbuh

Overtaken and left hooked by a friend of my mum while on my paper round.
    “sorry, as you live up there I assumed you were going to turn.”

philbuh

Also, I used to have a recumbent with under seat steering. An overtaking driver yelled at me:

“do you work at BT then?”

(the research labs at Martlesham? Er, yes, I do. Good guess 🙂 )

Cougar

Road tax, are drivers so stupid that they don’t realise you can buy a car such as a Nissan Leaf that is 0 rated!!!!!

Road tax, are drivers and cyclists so stupid that they don’t realise it hasn’t existed for 80 years!!1!

(-:

Northwind

On the motorbike, I filtered between a bus and a truck, guy behind me tried to follow, clipped one of them and bounced around between the two like a spacehopper falling down a well. “You shouldn’t have gone into that gap, it was too small”, he says. Impressive how much stuff falls off a GS when you do something like that though

mrmo – Member

Road tax, are drivers so stupid that they don’t realise you can buy a car such as a Nissan Leaf that is 0 rated!!!!!

Or a classic. For some reason, most people that say it to me, are driving little shitboxes and therefore pay less road tax than I do on my proper car, but it’s a wee bit too elaborate to get into at the roadside.

wilburt
    Free Member

Me: Hi Alan (neighbour old likes shoooting stuff) how you doing?
    Alan: Why do you lot ride on the road?
    Me: You lot?
    Alan: Yes you know cyclist, bloody roads are busy you just get in he way.
    Me: I suppose they are going places like you.
    Alan: Yes but Playford(small village) roads are small you cant get past.
    Me: Why are you going that way.
    Alan: The main roads so busy, always jammed up.
    Me: What with people in cars?
    Alan: Bloody cyclists

wilburt
    Free Member

Ita a simple world for some.

Need to get to work.
    Need to get an Audi
    Need to get likes
    Need to get home and watch xxx

You and your logic can just **** off and do one.

Cougar

bounced around between the two like a spacehopper falling down a well.

Thanks, you own me a new keyboard, this one is full of orange juice.

mattyfez

Nothing too spectacular for me, although I avoid busy roads if possible.

I heard some revving behind me approaching a traffic island in a built up 30mph zone.
    I was in primary in good time as the white paint indicating a cycle lane was broken, and it was a pinch point.
    There were also parked cars before and after the island.
    The ‘cycle lane’ was only about half a metre off the raised curb anyway.

So it was one of those situations where you just ride right in the middle of the available space.

Turned my head right to see a car out of the corner of my eye almost mash over the bollards on the central island, and braking suddenly.

I flapped my right arm to signal to slow down.

Got along side me just after the traffic island and shouted, “why aren’t you in the cycle lane, it’s there for you!”

He sped off before I could compute and shout a reply.

Giant_Hedge_Stack
    Free Member

On a club road ride we had a car full lads over take us hanging out the windows shaking beans at us etc. 200 yards later round the they’re were stuck in the queue of traffic at the a T junction as 15 of us rolled up behind them. Funny enough the windows were shut and they were as quiet as mice.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

Or a classic. For some reason, most people that say it to me, are driving little shitboxes and therefore pay less road tax than I do on my proper car, but it’s a wee bit too elaborate to get into at the roadside.

There. Is. No. Such. Thing. As. Road. Tax

🙄

shifter
    Free Member

The pedantry on here about road tax is becoming embarrassing to read! It’s that thing you pay to use your dirty car.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

And even VED isn’t a ringfenced tax so roads are paid for out of general taxation.

Sandwich

It’s that thing you pay to use your dirty car.

No, it’s the thing you pay to be able to keep your dirty car on the road. To use it you need the appropriate licence and insurance.

shifter
    Free Member

Good grief.

tjagain

I had somone once overtake me a few m before a red light and cut right in so I couldn’t get to the ASL – when challenged he said ” the light was red” meaning he was stopping me from jumping the light

I have also had the “all cyclists jump red lights nd ride on the pavement when pointing out to a driver that they were in the ASL box. This while I was waiting at the red light in the road correctly!

TheWrongTrousers

“Sorry, I didn’t see you, I’m late for the hairdressers”
    Stupid bint.

Cougar

The pedantry on here about road tax is becoming embarrassing to read! It’s that thing you pay to use your dirty car.

It’s important to challenge it, as it gives motorists the notion that they’re entitled to use the road because they “pay for it” in a way that cyclists don’t (ignoring of course the fact that most cyclists own cars too).

Junkyard
    Free Member

unless your vehicle is not dirty in which case its free just alike a bicycle
    Its also not been called road tax for getting on for a century so what you call pedantry is just factually correct.

I pay the full road tax for my bike £0 per year as I could with certain cars because the emissions are near zero.

GrahamS

Some of you need to update your “road tax” arguments a bit.

As of this year it is flat rate (after first payment), so the “I pay more for my car than he does” argument is out. As is the “low emissions” argument. (Electric is still free though).

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

Also I believe vehicle tax is now to be ringfenced into a “road fund” for spending on the roads, but only for the Strategic Road Network.

The argument you now want there is that the SRN is only about 2% of roads – 4,300 miles of motorways and major A(M) trunk roads that are mostly unusable to cyclists. Other roads are maintained by local authorities which we all pay for via council tax and general taxation.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/88361/tax-disc-changes-everything-you-need-to-know-about-uk-road-tax

slowoldman

Also I believe vehicle tax is now to be ringfenced into a “road fund” for spending on the roads, but only for the Strategic Road Network.

How far will that go? Expenditure will still be substantially from general taxation.

sbob
    Free Member

Its also not been called road tax for getting on for a century so what you call pedantry is just factually correct.

T’was referred to as “road tax”, however incorrectly, on the .gov website as late as this century, so you can forgive people’s confusion.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i can but not if they are on here. Here its been done to deathso you are just wrong 😉

sbob
    Free Member

Should have been stuck on fuel years ago anyway.

DezB
    Free Member

Just remembered, probably the single most moronic thing I’ve heard a driver say. Tried to erase it from my memory as I still have to work in the same office as this dickhead.
    “I don’t mind cyclists, but they shouldn’t ride in the rush hour..”

Good job he was talking to someone else and not me really.

Northwind

Mr Woppit – Member

And essentially nobody else gives a ****. Smartarsed pedantry only puts people’s teeth on edge for no benefit. Every time I hear a cyclist come out with this I cringe, there’s no response less likely to be productive or more likely to piss people off.

cubist
    Free Member

there’s no response less likely to be productive or more likely to piss people off

Your Mum pays less road tax.

Northwind

cubist – Member

Your Mum pays less road tax.

We drove to the drive-in and she didn’t have to pay
    Because we dressed her up to look just like a Chevrolet

Gary_C

Some of you need to update your “road tax” arguments a bit.

As of this year it is flat rate (after first payment), so the “I pay more for my car than he does” argument is out. As is the “low emissions” argument. (Electric is still free though).

This only applies to new cars registered 1st April 2017 onwards though. Cars registered before then are still subject to the varying rates dependent on emissions.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Children, children, calm down!

Somewhere on a Max Power forum there’s a “stupid shit that cyclists say” thread with a link to this thread now.

Everyone (on STW at least, thank god this isn’t the real world) knows VED =/= Road Tax. Lets not have a pissing contest over who can be more analy retentive over the semantics of whther the tax is hypothecated or not. Bessides, if you really want to split hairs then not really a tax on emissions either, otherwise it would be directed towards the NHS and Environment Agency.

aracer
    Free Member

Yeah, but it’s always in response to a complete idiot, so pissing them off is about the best outcome you can hope for – and any alternate response is far too nuanced for them to cope with.

I mean the correct response is that drivers are subsidised by the general tax paying population, but how productive is that likely to be?

boblo
    Free Member

Errrm, so not wanting to be difficult, what is the latest approved STW response to the oily oik shouting ‘Oi, Lycra Wanka! You don’t pay road tax!’?

aracer
    Free Member

“I don’t pay your mum either”

Junkyard
    Free Member

Everyone (on STW at least, thank god this isn’t the real world) knows VED =/= Road Tax. Lets not have a pissing contest over who can be more analy retentive over the semantics of whther the tax is hypothecated or not.

The majority does indeed think this but what they think is not true

Just because most people believe an error this is no reason to pander to it, repeat it or get all upset, and defend it, when the actual facts are pointed out.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The point is that VED (“Road Tax”) is paid on the vehicle and not towards maintaining the roads, which is what the wealders of the couplet who use it as an epithet, think that it is…

CountZero

“I don’t pay your mum either”

Good thing I didn’t have a mouthful of food or drink when I read that! At least my pad is wipe-clean, unlike Cougar’s keyboard, though… 😉
    That one I’ll have to try to remember. 😀

gerti
    Free Member

Was called a ‘lycra lout’ once (whilst commuting home in my jeans).

After explaining that I had kids to get home to and that I didn’t wish to talk to him any longer, I mentioned that I though he was a very strange little man.

Did the job shockingly well.

Do you men types not like being called strange or little? lol

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Stupid stuff drivers say………………’ is closed to new replies.