Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Stupid Idea – GDR style endurance event on Pennine Bridleway
  • nostoc
    Free Member

An idea that I’ve been toying with in mid Wales (not sure if it would work elsewhere) is to have a ride with the aim of crossing as many different rivers (or tributaries thereof) as possible.
    So you could start at Mach and cross one of the Dyfi tributaries on the way to the Severn round Havren way, then cross the Upper Wye and over to Cwm Ystwyth just touching the little streams that drain off Cefn Groes into the Rheidol, before heading towards the Teifi and Tywi. If you went East to the Elan that wouldn’t count again, as it is a tributary of the Wye. See what I mean?
    It would be open to different strategies as the shortest route would involve clambering over bogs and steep hills near the sources with a bike on your shoulder, or a much longer but easier ride (on a road bike even),helping to negate the concept of a “winner”.
    This is what I spend my time at work thinking about, anyway.

molgrips
    Free Member

You could go for linking the most drained area. So if you rode around Plynlumon (sp?) you’d get the catchment areas of Severn, Wye and Rheidol. Although, just doing that would probably get you the biggest score and not be very exciting 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

Just had a play in Bikely: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Black-Sheep-Dirty-Century-rough-outline

110 miles (175km) with 4500′ (1400m) of ascent. Mainly on roads and lanes, but with some off-road mixed in. Could easily be made longer/harder with more off-road through Swaledale.

ourmaninthenorth

might try putting something together, route wise, where “fellow riders not competitors” have to start in north wales finishing in south wales going via checkpoints to get a pass code which have to be given in at the end to prove you rode it all.

What, like an audax…? 😉

matt_outandabout

When will bikely allow use of OS maps for some proper off-road mapping?

miketually
    Free Member

What, like an audax…?

lol

Trampus
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member

When will bikely allow use of OS maps for some proper off-road mapping?

If you want OS maps, try here

chipps

By coincidence I’m off on a scouting mission in March to do a similar 100 mile route for a self-supported challenge later in the year. Doing it first off in a three-day exploration with the idea of coming back in the summer to do it in one go… Doubtless it’ll appear in the mag eventually…

Smee
    Free Member

Epicyclo, Molgrips etc – anyone doing that is not liable to enter this type of event… No prize money, no point in cheating.

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Thats right Smee, no point in cheating … or we’ll get Ton to sort you out 😉

Chipps if your passing on your scouting drop in for a brew, kettles always on GR SN871975 OS Explorer 215

Cheers

Stuart

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Stupid Idea – GDR style endurance event on Pennine Bridleway’ is closed to new replies.