Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Stupid bar rules…
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

At the bar before a gig last night, looking at the ales and specials. A black IPA called “Dank Side of the Moon” so I asked for a pint.

“Sorry sir, we only sell that in halves as it’s 8%”

Absolute zero humour when I asked if I could buy a bottle of 14% Malbec and drink that?… Apparently “people drink wine and beer differently” (and wouldn’t let me buy a half for me and a half for ‘my mate’)

Jeeez.

funkmasterp

When they refuse to serve you because you’re too drunk. Well who allowed me to get this drunk in the first place mr barman? Where was your wisdom two drinks ago?

hels
    Free Member

I am with the bar on this. When I was at Uni we drank in a place called the Bodega Bar – now demolished for a motorway extension – they served Hooker Ale which is 8 or 9 % on tap. It was carnage. As the man says, you drink it like beer and get drunk much faster than you expect. They took it away after much vomiting and fights!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    zilog6128

You probably came across as an amateur drinker/potential trouble maker 😀

What gig venue serves craft beer rather than bud/Heineken/etc?!

cheese@4p

“Sorry you can’t come in here wearing a hat”
    “Why not”
    “That’s the rules, no hats”

kayak23

You drink it even faster out of a half glass ime as it’s like you’re drinking cordial or suttin.

andrewh
    Free Member

When they refuse to serve you because you’re too drunk

Chip shops should apply the same rule to fat people 🙂

mechanicaldope

No petting, no diving

Stoner
    Free Member

In a micro bar this week:

“Sorry sir, no bar stools at the bar. The landlord finds it intimidating. You can use them by the shelf over the other side of the room”

5plusn8
    Free Member

TBH I like no bar stools, the bar is a servery, other people need access to get their drinks. It’s just hogging the barman and tap. If I walk in to a new (to me) pub and there are people sat at the bar it smacks of a bit of a clique where regulars will get served in preference and I will end up waiting ages for my booze/food etc. and probably not the kind of place I want to go.

fossy

It’s craft ale, it will be strong.

Don’t get me started on the bars that sell beers in ‘scooners’. 2/3rds of a blooming pint. We have quite a few bars in Manchester that just have a wall with taps on, and a list of ales. You pick one, thinking it’s say £5 then realise it’s not a pint (looking at you Northern Quarter – hit and miss as to what size you get).

Or you go in a bog standard traditional pub, find the pints are £5.50 for Heineken or similar, and think, WTF, I should have gone to the posh rooftop bar (with views) over the road and pay £6 for a Perroni !

fossy

The only time I’ve ever had anyone mention anything is when I ordered a pint of draft Leffe. Barman said, ‘Sir you do know this is £7.50 a pint’, I said why not, I’d just bought my wife a new wedding ring (less said about that as she’s accidentally lost that and her engagement ring recently…..)

tomhoward

‘No boots tonight’
    ‘Eh? I was wearing them in here the other day?’
    ‘Tonight’s Saturday. We don’t allow boots on a Saturday night’

si77

Used to be a bar in Hockley, Notts* that had a 2 serving limit on Absynthe. What’s the point in drinking Absynthe, if you’re not going to have enough to summon the Fairy? The reasoning given was that people tended to fall over after anymore than 2. Bedwetting lightweights, the lot of em!

*May still be there, but I’m not.

mechanicaldope

I used to run a bar for a while. The rules the punters got most upset about were no cannabis and no cocaine. We should have got a sign made the amount those rules were apparently a supprise to people.

ayjaydoubleyou

“Why not”

A gentleman always removes his hat indoors.

This was how you spotted the riff-raff for the centuries before tracksuit bottoms.

BillMC

I know of a pub in the UK where grass is smoked openly and has been for years. Like from what I’ve seen in Holland (anecdotally), it seems to cause no problems at all and probably solves a few.

tjagain

From the thread title I thought this was about the fact that you are not allowed to ride an MTB anymore unless your bars are a metre wide!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Used to be a bar in Hockley, Notts* that had a 2 serving limit on Absynthe

When it was first legalised for sale in the UK back in the 90s the limit was 3 everywhere. Never did figure out if that was a legal limit or just an agreed industry self imposed one but, given the lack of self regulation in the licensing trade I doubt it.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

was about the fact that you are not allowed to ride an MTB anymore unless your bars are a metre wide

Now you’re being silly. No one is going to stop you using 600mm bars. We just identify you as a luddite troublemaker and look at you with disdain.

mechanicaldope

I know of a pub in the UK where grass is smoked openly and has been for years. Like from what I’ve seen in Holland (anecdotally), it seems to cause no problems at all and probably solves a few.

Don’t personally disagree but my employer made the rules… More than me job’s worth….

poah
    Free Member

Chip shops should apply the same rule to fat people

They would close due to lack of business

dmorts

“Why not”

The reason given for this in the bar I worked in many moons ago was so you could be identified on CCTV. Also if it was applied to everyone then it makes it easier to ask the trickier customers to comply. They can’t point at someone else and say “but they’ve got their hat on”. The bar got quite rowdy on Friday and Saturday nights….

P-Jay
    Free Member

Side point, when did £5 for a pint of everyday lager become the ‘norm’?

I was never one for really checking, because, well, you know – booze.

But I’m sure this is the timeline.

2009 – Met my wife, stopped hanging out with my mates in pubs, yeah I’m *that* one. Pints about £2.50.
    2014 – Had a baby, forgot what a pub looked like.
    2019 – emerged blinking back into the light after 5 years self-imposed exile of Baby related stuff. Got to the Pub “Two pints of Heineken please” “Sure, £11.20”.

What did I miss?

PJM1974
    Free Member

What did I miss?

Find a new local. My local serves ales at £3.50 a pint, deep in rural Kent.

mariner
    Free Member

There is a song for every topic

PrinceJohn

“Why not”

Was in a pub during the day wearing a hat – popped out to get more cash out & they wouldn’t let me back in as I was wearing a hat, I was like, you literally saw me leave 5 mins ago wearing a hat. I had to take it off, only to put it on when I was back inside.

thepurist

From the thread title I thought this was about the fact that you are not allowed to ride an MTB anymore unless your bars are a metre wide!

Pfft – I was certain it was about someone who had to jump through hoops to attain a new role in the legal profession.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Having a kid coincided with:
    A: moving to a nice middle class area with good schools and expensive chain pubs.
    B: stopping going to pubs where there is a danger of death by local now that your kid has given you a meaning to stay alive.

Living in Sketon my closest pub still did £1/pints in the week, i went to the nicer pub down the road!

cheburashka
    Free Member

Absinthe – when Fab Cafe in Manchester started selling that in ’99 (ish) they quickly adopted a policy of no more than two per head, “because of the puke”.

One of the best bar rules I’ve seen were in a pub in Kuranda (Queensland) where you could ask to bar yourself if you so wished. Of course you could bar yourself from most places just by your behaviour, but this was a more gentlemanly approach.

toby1

I wasn’t allowed into a London club once in trainers, walked to the kebab shop across the road, swapped nice new trainers for cheap chip oil soaked deck shoes, was allowed in.

Swapped back after a night of clubbing, thanks Camden Kebab shop guy!

Dickyboy

“Two pints of Heineken please” “Sure, £11.20”.

Say whattt…? Did you mistakenly wander in to a music venue instead of a pub – the plastic glasses would have been a giveaway

Dickyboy

I wasn’t allowed into a London club once in trainers

Ditto, cept it was in Swansea, had to borrow a girls suede boots (2 sizes too small) to get in, she was allowed in barefoot and I had to leave my trainers in the cloakroom – was told I’d be kicked out if they caught me without any shoes on, so had to borrow people’s to get a drink or have a go on the dance floor 🤣 another strange night in Swansea…

P-Jay
    Free Member

What did I miss?

Find a new local. My local serves ales at £3.50 a pint, deep in rural Kent.

I like the idea, but it would be a hell of an Uber back to Cardiff.

Seems my nearest ‘spoons sells beer for £3, maybe I’ve gone Yuppie?

Drac

Baby related stuff. Got to the Pub “Two pints of Heineken please” “Sure, £11.20”

What did I miss?

That Heineken is shite and many pubs are way less than £5 a pint.

ayjaydoubleyou

Are you paying to get drunk or are you paying to enjoy yourself in a nice venue with friends (or friendly strangers)?

If its the former then check out your local (non-scottish) supermarket.

lunge

No flip-flops on a bar on New Zealand, apparently due to health and safely as I’d get my feet cut on the glass. Interestingly the girl stood next to me, also in flip-flops, either has more cut resistant feet or they care less about her feet…

bigyinn
    Free Member

fossy

It’s craft ale, it will be strong.

Thats truly up there with bullshit sweeping statements like “he’s only being friendly” or “all Glaswegians are alkys”.

zippykona

No shorts.

Hot summer Saturday afternoon in the bar in Claridges .

The bar nazi chucks me out so I say, ” I’ll pop upstairs and put some trousers on”.

Come downstairs in trousers order my drink and tell her to put it on my room. When she realised we had one of their most expensive suites the arse licking that followed was a thing to behold.

tthew

TBH I like no bar stools, the bar is a servery, other people need access to get their drinks. It’s just hogging the barman and tap. If I walk in to a new (to me) pub and there are people sat at the bar it smacks of a bit of a clique where regulars will get served in preference and I will end up waiting ages for my booze/food etc. and probably not the kind of place I want to go.

Amen 5plusn8! When I own a pub, that rail they put in front of the bar is going to be wired to a 3 phase electricity supply to be switched on when people are blocking buying customers.

Big pile of twitching corpses may also be problematical from a welcoming atmosphere perspective, but my plan isn’t 100% formed yet.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Stupid bar rules…’ is closed to new replies.