Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Stung on the face
  • alwillis

So out for a ride this morning and the worst happens- wasp comes flying into my helmet vent and stings me just below the hairline. To cut a long story short its ok- no swelling, not even a mark.

The only problem is I have had a splitting headache ever since- like the wasp hit me with a piece of metal. Is this normal?

Feel free the tell me to MTFU- never been stung before so didn’t know what to expect!

murf
    Free Member

I got stung on one of my nipples a few years back, that wasn’t pleasant! Swollen and sore for 24 hours.
    Was carrying one corner of a 120kg air con unit when I got stung, just had to grit my teeth!

burnside81
    Free Member

I had one go up my shorts and sting me on my ride this morning. Thank god for short liners!!

Oh, and MTFU!! 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Thank god for short liners!!

Because a wasp went up your shorts and stung you on your ride this morning ?

lemonysam
    Free Member

I got stung in my ear once when one caught in my helmet strap. mine did swell up and sting but I also had the bruised feeling. In fact I felt a bit punchdrunk afterwards.

dingabell
    Free Member

I’m really allergic to wasp stings so that’d be a nightmare for me. Wherever I get stung swells up and goes as hard as wood. I know where my wife would like the little buggers to sting me. 😀

burnside81
    Free Member

Thank god for short liners!!

Because a wasp went up your shorts and stung you on your ride this morning ?

Yes, they stopped it from getting further up to more sensitive areas.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😉

IanW
    Free Member

We must have made them angry….. my buddy was stung in the mouth today, 2 minutes later I was stung on top of my head.

It is like having a headache.

Why dont helmets have mesh in em?

wittonweavers
    Free Member

I was riding a fast bit on Friday when a wasp hit my throat and fell inside my jersey. It then stung me, and tbh it flippin well hurt!

Anyway it wasn’t far to the pub and vinegar is the answer for wasp stings!

andymc06
    Free Member

Got stung inside my bottom lip on a ride 2 weeks ago. It made my gums and teeth hurt!

alwillis

Glad I’m not the only one! Everyone else just laughed at me trying to whip my helmet off while still riding and batting the little git away. And CFH I have ordered some industrial quantities 🙂

mightymule
    Free Member

My OH now has a severe wasp phobia, after having been stung, through jeans, in what I am assured is THE worst place that a man could be stung…. 😯

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

trying to whip my helmet off while still riding and batting the little git away

What the….?

hora
    Free Member

I had one in my mouth. Spat it out. I had bee-stung lips. Worse was it also stung my gum. Bee or wasp??

Mikeypies
    Free Member

Stings on the head can be more potent than stings elsewhere and can be serious. Even if you have been stung on the body and havent had a bad reaction you could have a sting on the face and end up having a full on reaction.

Any ideas what helmets have mesh in the air vents ?

Oh and the vinegar/Bicarbonate of soda makes no odds get some antihistamine down your neck

DickBarton

Mate got stuck on his manhood a few years back…standing by a set of jumps and it flew up his short leg (which was short!) and stung him…he was beside himself with panic (18 year old convinced his manhood wouldn’t work!)…

Many years ago, I stopped by a river for a piss…and I managed to get bitten by a cleg on the end of my manhood – hurt like a seriously hurt thing for the rest of the day, then the swelling hit me…that lasted 3 days and I had real issues walking comfortably.

Still, can’t be all that bad if you can laugh about it afterwards!!!

TimP
    Free Member

Got stung just under the moob at Big Dog and it been like someone has a drawing pin in between my ribs since. I didn’t see what it was but it got caught under my Camelbak strap and then stung me, and then the strap rubbed on it for the next 3 laps.
    First sting ever and would be happy not to have another thanks

Kahurangi

Got stung inside my bottom lip on a ride 2 weeks ago. It made my gums and teeth hurt!

Had one hiding in my mug of tea once. Neither of us won that battle.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Same thing happened one day on a ride to me. It’s amazing how quickly you can unclip dismount and get the helmet off, and it proper hurts as well. Wasps are little buggers.

stever
    Free Member

What’s it like today? Mine didn’t swell up until the middle of the night about 18h later… http://www.flickr.com/photos/steverile/9392052188/

IA

Stung on the eyelid/eye (impossible to tell exactly where) once on the commute to work.

Suffice to say I exchanged some choice words with said wasp/bee. Then went home to sit in the dark listening to the radio all day.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

I was doing some field work measuring trees a few years ago and while passing the tape round the trunk of a particularly large fig tree I put my hand into a bee hive. I’ve never moved so swiftly before but one bee was faster still and got me right under my eye. The right side of my face swelled like a balloon for a day and I couldn’t open my eye. Hurt like buggery too!

RoterStern
    Free Member

I got stung yesterday on the ankle after a little blighter got stuck in one of my socks. Hurt for a few minutes then went away. However I got stung in the arm a few years ago and it swelled up. I went to the docs for treatment and was all sorted after a few days. He reckoned the wasp had probably been infected with some sort of pesticide which was why I had that reaction. It did however give me all kinds of problems when I changed health insurance later.

toby1

There’s only 1 thing to do, go on the offensive. They sting without prejudice, so kill them without prejudice too.

Although the stings still hurt, provided the score remains in your balance you can feel superior about it. I’m at about 27-0 at the moment. But my wife took a sting to the hand yesterday, while just trying to shake the daft bugger off after it landed on her finger!

40mpg

There do suddenly seem to bee a lot around after a slow start this summer – I guess due to the cold spring. Makes BBQ’s more entertaining though!

I had one go down my jersey and sting me 3 times while in the peleton a few years back. A bit of sudden swerving, somehow avoiding taking anyone else down, and rode into a ditch. I was already hopping off the bike though so stayed upright, hooked the bugger out and rejoined the back of the bunch. Did smart a bit though for a few days.

officialtob
    Free Member

Any ideas what helmets have mesh in the air vents ?

My Met helmet has mesh in the forward-facing vents, but I couldnt tell you which model it is..

toby1

Had a bit of chuckle at this thread last week, then I got a bee down my t-shirt last night and as a result got stung on the chest. Not laughing any more, although if anyone had a video of me trying to simultaneously free the bee, brake and avoid the person I was cycling towards it’d be comedy! (Cycle path, not pave,ent by the way :-))

mogrim

Stings on the head can be more potent than stings elsewhere and can be serious. Even if you have been stung on the body and havent had a bad reaction you could have a sting on the face and end up having a full on reaction.

Got stung between the eyes last October, rode into the wasp and it got stuck under the bridge of my sunnies… Face did indeed swell up, I couldn’t go to work the next day, couldn’t get my motorbike helmet on! Wife drove me to the doctor’s, antihistamines soon sorted it out.

Still, my deformed face amused my kids no end 🙂

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Had one of the pointless buggers fly into my mouth on Thursday. It then decided that inside my lip was a good place to start stinging. Tried to pull it out, but only got the top half. Tried to extract again and got the back end.
    Half an hour later lip had swelled right up and I had to extract the sting.
    Didn’t stop though!
    Lip is still a mess 6 days later.

chvck
    Free Member

I’ve been stung 3 times by wasps in the last couple of months, having not been stung for years. First time one stung me right on the forehead, that one hurt for a couple of days. Second time was just 2 stings on my back which stopped hurting after an hour or 2. Quite a surprise when they get you!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Stung on the face’ is closed to new replies.