Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Stumpjumper FSR Comp vs Trance 2 vs Remedy 7
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

Ruled out a Hardtail and firmly want a FS. Mostly for singletrack over the south downs and Friston Forest (mainly red routes up there with plenty of dropes, roots, small jumps and its very twisty!)

So in my £1600 quest I have looked at the following 3 bikes (if I go new). Sadly I am not in a position to ride them all as most are online and no local shops have them. All in the sale, Giant and Stumpy definatly have the most off (not that it makes them better).

All 3 of them are 2×10 with varied forks and bits. The Trance 2 will certainly be a medium fit, and the remedy I tried was also a medium and fitted ok too.

The stumpy will more likely be a large as size chart says medium is up to 5ft 9 and I am 5ft 11.

Opinions on the choice will be great. All have droppers which was my main concern and quite happy with a 2×10 set up for now. As for the forks and components – no idea whats better, but sure you can help me out here!

Stump:

http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/m1b3s1p13165/SPECIALIZED-Stumpjumper-FSR-Comp-650b-2016/RS_GB/51224

https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-remedy-7-27-5-2016-mountain-bike-EV251312

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/78906/Giant_Trance_27_5_2_2016_Bike_Charcoal_Red_16?gclid=CPmu0rLV1M4CFUU6GwodvYcM8w

mickmcd
    Free Member

Are you sure you need 150mm of travel

I have just got a stumpy and it felt just right to sit on and scoot round stems probably 20mm too short for me on a medium , a bit of a whim purchase without doing my research whatsoever.

Im not regretting it my plan was really to take the carbon frame and swap the bits from my Giant onto it then I found out I can actually buy the frame alone….doh

It was a toss up between this and a cannondale habit 4 whim just because the lefty looked coold

jayx2a
    Free Member

Not sure I do need 150, but think I need more than 120! Didnt actually look close enough at the stump to see it was 150 – my bad!

PJM1974
    Free Member

5’11” here any my large Stumpjumper fits me like a glove. If you’re borderline then it’s worth testing a medium and a large back to back just to be sure.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Stump would be large I think – medium says up to 5ft 9 and being 5ft 11 puts me firmly on the large. The Camber comp I am borderline on, but not really looked in to that one.

mickmcd
    Free Member

I wouldn’t rule a look at Paul’s Cycles out
    There’s a lot of bike to be had there in the cannondale section .

jayx2a
    Free Member

Just looked…

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s183p6523/CANNONDALE-HABIT-4-2016

That fork though, never seen anything like it lol!

jayx2a
    Free Member

Wanted to look at the vitus escarpe vrx too, but only small and XL left!

br
    Free Member

Not sure I do need 150, but think I need more than 120!

Nah, you don’t really – especially if you thought a HT would’ve been ok.

What about the new Bird Aeris 120, near to you and demo it at Swinley?

snakebite
    Free Member

Jumping in, I have a 9.8 carbon Remedy for sale for a bit more than your budget, full XT, Reverb, tubeless comp wheel set up, Pike RC3T medium fits me like a glove at 179cm… 😀

jayx2a
    Free Member

I changed mind from HT after discovering all the new routes my way, and I was pretty much using the full travel of my Reba.

How much is the Carbon Remedy?

New Bird looks good – on the pre order mailing list so will see how much it comes in at.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Not that this helps much, but I loved my Large Stumpjumper FSR Comp, but it was a tad too small for me (6’2″).

I would have probably been happy with a 29er Camber in XL. Something that can do trail centres and more natural stuff.

Now I’ve just spent a fortune building my Aeris up (150mm travel), They go and do a 120mm version! I think people get caught up in the suspension travel arms race sometimes.

Maybe if you’re racing Enduro for a living, it would help with speed, but for me, skill is the biggest limiting factor! I think I’d rather have a more lively bike with good grip and speed.

Oh and I’d be really tempted by that Habit. Always wanted a Lefty 🙂

jayx2a
    Free Member

Trouble is I really want a dropper and the lefty would need one, plus Im still not sure on its looks!

The Bird looks nice – but might be over budget, but maybe worth saving the extra!

johnw1984
    Free Member

Reliable dropper posts can be had for a couple of hundred nowadays though. If it was the right bike, I’d just buy one separate after.

I agree the Lefty can be a bit Marmite 🙂

If I could, I’d consider swapping my bike for a similar specced shorter travel 29er (120-130mm). Don’t get me wrong, I love my bike and plan on keeping it for a few years at least, but there’s always that itch to try something different 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Stumpjumper FSR Comp vs Trance 2 vs Remedy 7’ is closed to new replies.